• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which former player...

Trying to see beyond the obvious clamours for Collymore and Eastwood, I'm looking for two answers here (albeit they might both be the same).

1) Which former player in their SUFC prime would have been most useful in getting us through our abject injury crisis (our season up to this point)?
2) Which former player in their SUFC prime would you throw in now to lead us to mid-table and safety (our season beginning now) given that some of our walking wounded are starting to return?

Tough tackling midfielder? Proven goalscorer? No-nonsense defender? Creative outlet? Roll-the-sleeves-up leader of men?

Stan Collymore - he'd walk through some of the L1 defences
Peter Butler for a bit of steel in the middle
Ricky Otto for some flair out wide

In fact, bring them back now.

Stan Collymore - he'd walk through some of the L1 defences
Peter Butler for a bit of steel in the middle
Ricky Otto for some flair out wide

In fact, bring them back now.
Season up to now.
Season from now.

Which one player for each?

The thought of Collymore smashing his way through this League is the stuff of dreams!

Scott Forbes, where’s my prize?
DYuhMuSX0AUy138.jpg

Clarky talked passionately pre-match about Ron Pountney on Saturday and how he was one player that, given this situation, you would know the fans would warm to and make you believe we could get the results we need. Never shied away from wanting to stand up and be counted and take ownership of the situation and would give everything for 90 minutes in every match.

Wonderful footballer and a fantastic person, as well.

For me, I'm 100% with BBTLLO above on both counts.

Stan aside.
Our Hopper / Humphreys issue would be directly solved by Garner or Guthrie and not quite a like for like, but Brett or maybe even Benjy

As for the second Question, Peter Butler or Dave Martin might instill a bit of the balls , bollocks and bite we need for the fight ahead.

If we had anyone with half of Pountney's character and commitment we would never have got in this position in the first place.

I was going to say Chris Powell...….But under the circumstances.:Blush:

1. Spencer Prior or Paul Clark - we haven't kept enough clean sheets. If we could have kept them out we've scored enough (we're in the top half of goals scored, despite missing a forward for much of the season and apparently having a defensive manager) to have been clear of trouble.

2. Nicky Bailey - he'd shield the defence, get stuck in, ruffle feathers and get forward and score goals.

Adam Barrett as Player/Manager/Physio/Chairman/Kit-man. Guaranteed Champions League win within 5 years.

If we had anyone with half of Pountney's character and commitment we would never have got in this position in the first place.

Even our all time super hero Ron, got relegated to the 4th division 3 times 75/76, 79/80 and 83/84.....

In fact the whole team that ran away with Division 4 in 80/81 got relegated in 79/80. Sometimes things are beyond control.

Last edited:
First part of the season, the "Thou Shalt not pass" attitude of Ryan Cresswell in the first part of his short lived stay, when he was just like Adam Barrett only bigger, stronger and completely imperious (you did say in their SUFC prime, which I know wasn't for long, but he was still initially awesome).

Second part - Mark Gower - totally creative, always wants the ball, would never shirk responsibilty and can score the odd cracker as well.

Back