• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Which loanees are you happy with?

Who has actually improved us.

• Total voters
Pat Baldwin is the best one on the list. Exactly the type of defender we should have gone for rather than splashing out £300k for Peter Clarke. He wins headers, blocks shots, tackles forwards and if he is in doubt it goes row z. A proper defender.

M'Voto before his injury was excellent. When we played Leeds earlier on he was majestic. Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same player since. Now he just seems awkward, too heavy, and keeps producing silly mistakes. In there somewhere is a very good defender, just wish he would arrive soon.

Vernon is a odd one. I've never been a big fan of target men. I prefer to see a bit of pace up top and someone who poaches goals. Like Theo and Barnard. I've seen him play well for us, but on Saturday I thought he was extremely poor. He does a "job", but I'd rather have a quick forward to partner Paterson, who I think looks a real talent.

As for Malone. Next. Not been impressed since day one.

Because he's done phenomenally well for himself since being slung out by us...

An extreme waste of talent.

It certainly was an extreme waste of his talent making him sit on the bench and watch an out of sorts Macca taking his place. No wonder it went pear-shaped.

Pat Baldwin is the best one on the list. Exactly the type of defender we should have gone for rather than splashing out £300k for Peter Clarke. He wins headers, blocks shots, tackles forwards and if he is in doubt it goes row z. A proper defender.

Thats exactly what Clarke used to do... But I agree in that he is the sort of defender we have been missing. He also actually gives a damn when he is playing! He gives 100% and even gives other players telling offs on the pitch when they need it instead of applauding them like Barrett does all the time... I have never got that, OK he is trying to encourage them, but sometimes the younger players need a stiff word from there captain (and I don't mean a Macca esq telling off).

Malone is possibly the worst left back I have ever seen play for Southend, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Herd left at the end of the season. Similar scenario as Sawyer in that Herd is having to sit there and watch someone that isn't as good as him play in a team that is losing week in week out. And to that the fact that Tilly won't play Herd because he is "inexperienced" yet brings in an 18 year old replacement and I wouldn't blame Herd for wanting to leave.

As everyone has said, M'voto was starting to look solid at centre back before his injury, but there is clearly something wrong there...! I hope he can recapture that form for the rest of the season as we could do with him massively but I just don't see it.

Vernon... well another Revell esq player but just seems to have a little more in terms of ability. I think he would benefit massively with a Barnard type player playing off him, or possibly even Spencer who looks to get onto flicks and run in behind defenses.

Nice words there from Baldwin, made me smile when he said we got fantastic support!! Because i think we do, look at the situation we are in and our attendances are twice as big as alot of teams in our league, for example Colchester, who are in the play-offs and they didn't even get 4,000 against Brighton.
BALDWIN YOU LEGEND.
WE ARE THE SOUTHEND BOYS, STAND UP AND MAKE SOME NOISE

Baldwin, I would love to see us sign him on a permanent, he has linked up well with Barrett in the centre of defence, and really done well for us!
The only player I would like us to sign on a permanent, is Baldwin, the rest just haven't proved enough to me in their loan spells to the club.

And to add to this post, reading his interview on the OS today just summed it up for me, he has a lot of respect, is the type of player we need, and loves the atmosphere the fans create every game. He is the only current on-loan player who I would like to see signed permanently, but the question is, if we did sign him on a permanent, how much would he cost us, and can we afford to sign him?
Here's hoping, because he is a decent defender, who could form a strong partnership with Barrett.

Thats exactly what Clarke used to do... But I agree in that he is the sort of defender we have been missing.

No he didn't do it all.

Clarke was dominated in the air, along with Barrett, by numerous forward lines we have come up against and it has played a part in a back four that let goals ship at an alarming rate.

Baldwin is a lot more dominate in the air than Clarkey ever was. Same with Heath, Morrison and M'Voto who have all played at the back alongside Barrett. They are the type of defender we should have brought in rather than waste £300k on Clarke.

Glad our lads are proving popular despite the handicap of being Colchester players ;)

If Scott could score a few more goals he would be a very good player that s really the only thing missing from his game other than maybe a bit of pace, if he played alongside a small nippy finisher I think between them the goals would come, similar to Cureton and Iwelumo for us a while back.

Pat is a very good player and most of us would have him back in a heartbeat, although probably a third placed central defender at present behind Magnus and Reid, but certainly better than Heath who is no poor player either, or young Danny Batth who is going to be a very good player for Wolves in a couple of years time. Pat is still our club captain and is one of our best paid players I believe so you lads would have to dig deep to fund all his wages to say nothing of the transfer fee, I think Bristol Rovers were going to pay £250K for him earlier this season and that was not as much as we asked for. I think he may have at least another year if not 2 years on his current deal because Lambert was very keen to keep him at the club, he seems to have fallen out with Boothroyd hence the loan spell at Bristol followed by one with yourselves. The main thing in your favour should he leave us is that he pulled the plug on the Rovers deal because he did not want to move away from this area, meaning a move to your lot may suit if the cash thing can be sorted out.

Glad our lads are proving popular despite the handicap of being Colchester players ;)

If Scott could score a few more goals he would be a very good player that s really the only thing missing from his game other than maybe a bit of pace, if he played alongside a small nippy finisher I think between them the goals would come, similar to Cureton and Iwelumo for us a while back.

Pat is a very good player and most of us would have him back in a heartbeat, although probably a third placed central defender at present behind Magnus and Reid, but certainly better than Heath who is no poor player either, or young Danny Batth who is going to be a very good player for Wolves in a couple of years time. Pat is still our club captain and is one of our best paid players I believe so you lads would have to dig deep to fund all his wages to say nothing of the transfer fee, I think Bristol Rovers were going to pay £250K for him earlier this season and that was not as much as we asked for. I think he may have at least another year if not 2 years on his current deal because Lambert was very keen to keep him at the club, he seems to have fallen out with Boothroyd hence the loan spell at Bristol followed by one with yourselves. The main thing in your favour should he leave us is that he pulled the plug on the Rovers deal because he did not want to move away from this area, meaning a move to your lot may suit if the cash thing can be sorted out.

Nice post. Vernon looks like a good player, but I wouldn't say the he or Patterson were out and out finishers and more of a secondary striker. I would like to see Spencer given time up front with Vernon as has pace and a bit of strength.

Baldwin has shown passion and commitment and has gone on record in saying that he wants to keep us up (never thought I'd hear a Col U captain saying that ;)).

[Baldwin has shown passion and commitment and has gone on record in saying that he wants to keep us up (never thought I'd hear a Col U captain saying that ;)).[/QUOTE]

Me neither but I get the impression he will never come back to us, because Aidy and Pat do not get on, most Colchester fans think he is a very good player and he only signed a 3 year deal last Summer on very good terms, if Lambert had still been at the WHCs he would have been the main central defender with Magnus, you boys have a very good player there and we are picking up most of the wage bill!

He has been with us around 8 years and played nearly 200 games since we signed him from Chelsea on a free in 2002, strange fact is he has scored as many goals for you as he has for us..........

just baldwin for me. malone not bad but prefer herd plus he's our own. m-voto no not the player he was. vernon's part of the scum and he's crap aswell.

Baldwin's improved us at the back (not that that was particularly hard) so I'd quite like to keep him.

I'd be surprised if M'voto ever plays for us again, even with Barrett suspended on Tuesday. He looked like he might have something back in August but has looked absolutely hopeless since he's come back after Christmas.

Malone and Vernon are in the same boat for me- they're ok. I doubt Vernon will ever be a 25 goal a season striker even at League 2 level and Malone will never bring to the left what Francis brings to the right.

I'd rather play Herd at left-back and Spencer up front. Both of these guys would benefit from more games under the belt and at the end of the day, they're the ones that'll be here next season.

A lot's been said about our use of the loan-market but even if we had the choice, I'd rather let Vernon and Malone go at the end of the season and look elsewhere to bolster our defence and attack (whether it be more loan signings or bargain-hunting) than sign mediocrity on a permanent contract.

I love Pat Baldwin, he is a gutsy no nonsense centre half and even though he is a Col U player Id be delighted if we could sign him full time.

Would love to see Baldwin bought here on a permanent basis. Echo everyone else's views in that he is that no-nonsense defender we have been looking for.

M'voto not the same player he was when he first came to us after his injury but do quite like him.

Not really too bothered about Vernan but don't think he is worth wasting any money on.

Malone barely deserves a mention, complete rubbish. Plus he also has stupid hair.

Back