• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which squad is better, the current one or the one from 2009/10?

• Total voters

ibwiajwa

Coach
The thread "Do you now feel affinity with the team" made me look back at the squad that got us relegated in 2009/10, assuming that the OS of each club is accurate. They weren't getting paid by us, which would account for a lot, but have the individual players gone on to do well?

Franck Moussa: Warming the bench at Leicester. Only 3 sub appearances this season, all in the league cup.
Damien Scannell: Gone back to non-league Eastlea.
Alex Revell: At Rotherham.
Simon Francis: On loan to Bournemouth (16th in League One) - only 4 sub appearances for them, only 2 for Charlton this season.
Scott Malone: On loan to Bournemouth from Wolves
Adam Barrett: Bournemouth
Alan McCormack: Swindon
Osei Sankofa: Boreham Wood (Conference South)
Johnny Herd: Ebbsfleet United (Conference)
James Walker: Woking (Conference South)
Jean-Francois Christophe and Francis Laurent: Lincoln City (Conference)
Matt Heath and John White: back at Col U (15th in League One) but only Heath is getting games
Steve Mildenhall: Only 8 appearances for Millwall (19th in the Championship) this season
Kevin Betsy: Only 4 appearances for Wycombe (23rd in league 1) this season, 2 as sub
Stuart O'Keefe: Only made 9 appearances for us in our relegation season but has had 5 league cup appearances for Crystal Palace this season.
Dougie Freedman: Manager of Crystal Palace
Matt Paterson: Hamilton Accies (Scottish Division One)
Scott Spencer: Hyde (Conference North)
Lee Barnard: Southampton

With the exception of Barnard, who was well gone before the end of the 2009/10 season, it's not exactly fabulous, is it? So the million dollar question is, which squad would you rather have, the current squad or the one from 2009/10 (assuming that they were properly paid)?

Personally, I have been gratified by how much stronger the defense of our current team appears to be. We are much more solid. There are also several players who could clearly play at a higher level. I would go for the squad we have at the moment. What do you think?

Brilliant piece of research :thumbsup:
Just goes to show how much work Paul Sturrock has put in :Worthy:

The thread "Do you now feel affinity with the team" made me look back at the squad that got us relegated in 2009/10, assuming that the OS of each club is accurate. They weren't getting paid by us, which would account for a lot, but have the individual players gone on to do well?

Franck Moussa: Warming the bench at Leicester. Only 3 sub appearances this season, all in the league cup.
Simon Francis: On loan to Bournemouth (16th in League One) - only 4 sub appearances for them, only 2 for Charlton this season.
Matt Heath and John White: back at Col U (15th in League One) but only Heath is getting games
Steve Mildenhall: Only 8 appearances for Millwall (19th in the Championship) this season
Kevin Betsy: Only 4 appearances for Wycombe (23rd in league 1) this season, 2 as sub
Stuart O'Keefe: Only made 9 appearances for us in our relegation season but has had 5 league cup appearances for Crystal Palace this season.
Theo Robinson: Derby County

With the exception of the last two, who were both well gone before the end of the 2009/10 season, it's not exactly fabulous, is it? So the million dollar question is, which squad would you rather have, the current squad or the one from 2009/10 (assuming that they were properly paid)?

Personally, I have been gratified by how much stronger the defense of our current team appears to be. We are much more solid. There are also several players who could clearly play at a higher level. I would go for the squad we have at the moment. What do you think?

Theo Robinson was on loan with us in 2008/9 not 2009/10.....if he had been we'd have probably stayed up.

I think the main difference is we have have a settled squad and aren't over relient on loan players to make up the bulk of the side for much over season.

Barnard if definitely the standout player from the relegation squad and it is no surprise we only won one game after he left. We had a great record of never losing a game in which he scored the first goal, something he managed 25 or 26 times if memory serves.

Theo Robinson: Derby County

With the exception of the last two, who were both well gone before the end of the 2009/10 season, it's not exactly fabulous, is it? So the million dollar question is, which squad would you rather have, the current squad or the one from 2009/10 (assuming that they were properly paid)?

Scannell is @ Daggers

It would be interesting to get Frannie Laurent back in the fold. He'd certainly add some wing-play pazazz to our attack.

Moussa, Francis, Malone, Barrett, McCormack, Heath, White, Mildenhall, O'Keefe and Barnard are all good enough to be in our current squad, all except Macca are playing with clubs at a higher level.

According to consensus they loved him here too. Doesn't make him a good defender.

I always felt that he wasn't a natural leader and played better alongside superior centre halves like Dervite/Prior, but he loved the club, served it well, gave his best whilst not being paid and was generally a good egg. I like nothing better than to see a local lad play for us and do well, so on that basis he'll always be remembered fondly by me and I hope he gets a testimonial one day.

Very easy answer, defo the current squad. That squad on the whole were poor, with few players like Barnard. That team would be battling relegation in this league.

Moussa, Francis, Malone, Barrett, McCormack, Heath, White, Mildenhall, O'Keefe and Barnard are all good enough to be in our current squad, all except Macca are playing with clubs at a higher level.

Most are barely playing (see above). Nobody would argue with Barnard.

Back