• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whisky...

EastStandBlue

Life President
Why does anybody drink this crap? I went on a bender last night with a few lads on my course to celebrate the end of our assignment season and I've never fet so rough in my life. Usually, by 5:30 i'm right as rain, but today i still feel like **** warmed up.

Thus, i've come to the conclusion that Whisky is the single most pointless thing in the Universe. Whisky and Jimmy Corbett.

Drink the cheap blended sh!te & you get what you deserve.

A decent malt is not really a drinking for necking in one go. Its more a slowing down drink or a more relaxed drink that you sip. Certainly not one for a session.

If you want to get a taste for malts, avoid Laphroig (sp?) as it will probably put you off.

Nothing wrong with washing down a couple of pints with a nice drop of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam ... lovely stuff ;)

Nothing wrong with washing down a couple of pints with a nice drop of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam ... lovely stuff ;)

It's not really whiskey though is it. That yank stuff is sour mash, whatever that is, where proper whiskey, Scottish and Irish, is blended.

Was Glenmoragne, so not your Tesco Smartprice Rats ****... One of my favourite drinks is a decent Drum and Coke, and I don't mind Jack Daniels.

whiskey is the juice from the nipple of angels...

Luvly jubbily

I am sorry guys.....but i have to comment. I hated Whisky with a passion up until 4 years ago when i became the Purchasing Manager for a Northern Isle Ferry Operator.....i have subsequently had to try various whiskeys and all I can say is Single Malt is the only Whisky worth even looking at....

My 3 recommendations would be

Highland Park
Macallan
Talisker

All SM and all at least 10 years or more in the wood

I am sorry guys.....but i have to comment. I hated Whisky with a passion up until 4 years ago when i became the Purchasing Manager for a Northern Isle Ferry Operator.....i have subsequently had to try various whiskeys and all I can say is Single Malt is the only Whisky worth even looking at....

My 3 recommendations would be

Highland Park
Macallan
Talisker

All SM and all at least 10 years or more in the wood

Talisker, now we're talking! Got bought a bottle of cask strength Talisker ages back, oooh it weren't bad! My usual tipple of choice in the malt department is, however, Laphroaig. Don't usually go for the highland malts, but my Gt uncle did once offer me a glass of 25 yo Glenmorangie, which, as J correctly says, is indeed the juice from the nipples of angels!

Blueblood, I can forgive your anti whisky comments for bringing up the wonder that is Port. Another fine drink.

Blueblood, I can forgive your anti whisky comments for bringing up the wonder that is Port. Another fine drink.

Er, that was me :D

Port is Thunderbird for the educated 30something!
Although, I really should have decanted my last bottle, the last glass was vile, full of sediment & all manner of cr@p :(

Last edited:
Er, that was me :D

Port is Thunderbird for the educated 30something!
Although, I really should have decanted my last bottle, the last glass was vile, full of sediiment & all manner of cr@p :(

Oops, well, it is late and I am in the middle of moving house! Just couldnt believe a resident of Glasgow not being a Whisky drinker :p

Port's always good, but has the added bonus of being perfect for pouring into a Stilton!

Also remember one thing, no Whisky means no Drambuie! :eek:

Talisker, now we're talking! Got bought a bottle of cask strength Talisker ages back, oooh it weren't bad! My usual tipple of choice in the malt department is, however, Laphroaig. Don't usually go for the highland malts, but my Gt uncle did once offer me a glass of 25 yo Glenmorangie, which, as J correctly says, is indeed the juice from the nipples of angels!

mmmmmmm a bottle of Talisker sitting on the patio...chiling to Breath in the Air......Perfect

Oops, well, it is late and I am in the middle of moving house! Just couldnt believe a resident of Glasgow not being a Whisky drinker :p

Port's always good, but has the added bonus of being perfect for pouring into a Stilton!

Also remember one thing, no Whisky means no Drambuie! :eek:

Just don't get why burning your throat with alcohol is a pleasure!
Not done the port & cheese thing. After meals I always have mine with a decent espresso.

Richard Richard said:
Drambuie? (adopts fey limp wristed pose)

Eddie Hitler said:
Yeah, well you've got to put something in for the birds, haven't you?

:hilarious:

If you like Whisky they get to J Wadsworth in St Ives, Cambridgeshire.

Over 400 different types to choose from ranging up to £3000 a bottle.

The best booze shop I have ever been to bar none.

Back