• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

White Horse???

Lenny808

Just a quick rant...the new Wembley bridge is to be called The White Horse Bridge....stupid name and to most of us under the age of 35 means nothing. Should of been the spirit of '66, Alf Ramsey and all that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lenny808 @ May 24 2005,09:38)]Just a quick rant...the new Wembley bridge is to be called The White Horse Bridge....stupid name and to most of us under the age of 35 means nothing. Should of been the spirit of '66, Alf Ramsey and all that!
Surely if you are under 35 then 1966 means nothing to you either ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 24 2005,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lenny808 @ May 24 2005,09:38)]Just a quick rant...the new Wembley bridge is to be called The White Horse Bridge....stupid name and to most of us under the age of 35 means nothing. Should of been the spirit of '66, Alf Ramsey and all that!
Surely if you are under 35 then 1966 means nothing to you either ?
Lol, as if any Englishman born then or not could not know of 1966 and all that. I had to do an internet search for Billy The White Horse!

Eh? Does the White Horse final really mean nothing to you?

This is probably the best argument yet for that name, as it highlights people's ignorance of this country's sporting heritage. Although whether naming it after a pitch invasion/lack of crowd control is possibly another matter.

In a similar vein, we've just had this lass in on work experience, she's an Arsenal fan and 14 years old. When Arsenal beat Everton 7-0, she said to me "The biggest win in history is 9-0, when Man Utd beat Ipswich, isn't it?" Cue me ranting about Abroath and Aberdeen Bon Accord, Sky destroying the history of the game, etc...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,11:19)]Cue me ranting about Abroath and Aberdeen Bon Accord
36-0...?

That said, I've no idea who were on the end of that hiding - Bon Accord, I'd guess.

rock.gif

Hasn't that result been topped recently, though, by Australia... I thought that they were playing something like the East Timorese side, and whupped them something ridiculous like 48-0?

Matt

P.S. She's only 14 - you can forgive her a little football ignorance, surely?

wink.gif

Dunno why people are complainign, I think it's nice of the FA to name the bridge after a pub in Southchurch.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2005,11:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,11:19)]Cue me ranting about Abroath and Aberdeen Bon Accord
36-0...?

That said, I've no idea who were on the end of that hiding - Bon Accord, I'd guess.

rock.gif

Hasn't that result been topped recently, though, by Australia... I thought that they were playing something like the East Timorese side, and whupped them something ridiculous like 48-0?
From Guinnessworldrecords.com...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The highest score recorded in a first-class match is 36, during the Scottish Cup match between Arbroath and Bon Accord on September 12, 1885. Arbroath won 36-0 on their home ground. Seven further goals were disallowed for offside.

Bon Accord were actually a cricket team, I believe they filled in when another side pulled out...

Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in 2001, although American Samoa had a disadvantage in that the majority of the population have US passports and are therefore ineligible for selection...Not heard about the East Timor game, have to have a look round for that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
P.S. She's only 14 - you can forgive her a little football ignorance, surely?

Maybe it's just me than Matt, but I thought every schoolboy (and girl interested in football) knew about it, one of the first real facts I knew about football...The rant wasn't really aimed at her, more one of those "Kids today, eh?" style rants....

Apparently the Arbroath goalie spent the match under an umbrella smoking a pipe (the goalie, not the umbrella).
I think Preston won 26-0 in the cup on the same day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,12:34)]Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in 2001
Nope - no more looking needed.  That's the game I was thinking of... presumably a record for international football?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,12:34)]Maybe it's just me then Matt
Yes, it's just you...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,12:34)]Bon Accord were actually a cricket team, I believe they filled in when another side pulled out...
IIRC Bon Accord were sent the invitation to the Scottish Cup in error but entered all the same

In England it is Aston Villa beating Hyde 26-0

All this talk of white horses reminds me of the one that walked into my pub many years ago.
'We have whiskey named after you' I said
The horse looked at me and said 'What Eric?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ May 24 2005,14:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ May 24 2005,14:01)]In England it is Aston Villa beating Hyde 26-0
Mind you Hyde to a greater thrashing in years to come thanks to Dr Harold Shipman
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ May 24 2005,14:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ May 24 2005,14:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ May 24 2005,14:01)]In England it is Aston Villa beating Hyde 26-0
Mind you Hyde to a greater thrashing in years to come thanks to Dr Harold Shipman
ghostface.gif
I think you'll find    
ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif
etc would be closer to the mark.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2005,12:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,12:34)]Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in 2001
Nope - no more looking needed. That's the game I was thinking of... presumably a record for international football?

rock.gif
Yep, beat the previous record that was Iran 17 Maldives 0.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, it's just you...

Fair enough then...
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ May 24 2005,13:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,12:34)]Bon Accord were actually a cricket team, I believe they filled in when another side pulled out...
IIRC Bon Accord were sent the invitation to the Scottish Cup in error but entered all the same
I think you're right there actually...

Although there was also this, but IIRC it isn't officially recognised due to how the goals were scored...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Madagascan champions win 149-0

Staff and agencies
Friday November 1, 2002

The world record for goals scored in senior football, which has stood steadfast ever since Arbroath thumped Bon Accord 36-0 in 1885, has been smashed by a team from Madagascar.

Farcical scenes quicky led to a basketball score as league champions AS Adema won a match 149-0, more than quadrupling the existing record - and without gaining possession between the first goal and the 149th.

Their opponents, Stade Olymique L'Emyrne, took complete control of the national league game, reducing Adema to the role of onlookers, as they deliberately plonked the ball in the back of their own net 149 times, in protest over a refereeing decision.

The English Football Association believe that the 149-0 scoreline represents a new world record. "I certainly think it's a world record," said the FA's historian David Barber.

"I've heard of a local league game in Nottingham that finished 50-2 and there was a 43-0 in an Austrian regional game before the second world war - but nothing this big."

Radio Madagascar reported on Friday that SOE scored the own goals against Adema as a protest after their coach Ratsimandresy Ratsarazaka lost his temper with the referee.

Adema's players reportedly stood around looking bemused, doing nothing to stop the opposition from self-destructing.

Strangely, SOE were no part-timers either - they were last year's Malagasy champions who surprisingly won through to the second round of the African Champions League this season.

Adema clinched the Malagasy title last weekend.

Back