• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

White Horse???

Thats awesome, what a protest
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lenny808 @ May 24 2005,10:38)]Just a quick rant...the new Wembley bridge is to be called The White Horse Bridge....stupid name and to most of us under the age of 35 means nothing. Should of been the spirit of '66, Alf Ramsey and all that!
errr ... does the White Horse Final not meant anything to you?!

white_horse_final.jpg

The White Horse Final

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2005,13:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ May 24 2005,11:19)]Cue me ranting about Abroath and Aberdeen Bon Accord
36-0...?

That said, I've no idea who were on the end of that hiding - Bon Accord, I'd guess.
Legend has it that they were Bon Accord were actually a cricket team and accepted the invitation destined for the footballign fraternity ...

WS

In support of Lenny, I'd never heard of the White Horse final let alone known anything about it. I've read a fair amount of football literature in my time, read the sports sections of respectable broadsheets almost daily and have been following all four leagues pretty closely since about 94, not to mention the number of FA Cup games I've read.

Question is, how are we expected to just know about this final if we've never seen it mentioned?

(Going on the assumption that if I found a reference I didn't understand, I'd look it up)

If you had ever watched the run up to a Wembley FA Cup - BBC would without fail show the clip. It was as predictable as Wizard of Oz being shown on Christmas TV.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (XĂ bia Shrimper @ May 24 2005,20:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lenny808 @ May 24 2005,10:38)]Just a quick rant...the new Wembley bridge is to be called The White Horse Bridge....stupid name and to most of us under the age of 35 means nothing. Should of been the spirit of '66, Alf Ramsey and all that!

white_horse_final.jpg

The White Horse Final

WS
The name is unacceptable as it's clearly discriminatory. What about the brown horse that's pictured in XS's post, did it not also make a significant contribution towards crowd control?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ May 25 2005,03:10)]If you had ever watched the run up to a Wembley FA Cup - BBC would without fail show the clip. It was as predictable as Wizard of Oz being shown on Christmas TV.
Oddly enough, I have watched the build up most years. Maybe if we were in the final I'd watch it more closely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (XĂ bia Shrimper @ May 24 2005,20:07)]
[b said:

white_horse_final.jpg

The White Horse Final

WS
Sorry, until I did I hunt and heard about it on the radio, no!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 24 2005,22:25)]In support of Lenny, I'd never heard of the White Horse final let alone known anything about it.  I've read a fair amount of football literature in my time, read the sports sections of respectable broadsheets almost daily and have been following all four leagues pretty closely since about 94, not to mention the number of FA Cup games I've read.

Question is, how are we expected to just know about this final if we've never seen it mentioned?

(Going on the assumption that if I found a reference I didn't understand, I'd look it up)
Jeez, the youth of today hey (I'm only 19 but hey).

I thought it was common knowledge. I knew about it, and even voted for it because it represented the first Wembley FA Cup final. Very fitting I felt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 25 2005,17:22)]Jeez, the youth of today hey (I'm only 19 but hey).
Indeed (I'm 22 sunshine!)

Still never seen it but at least I know now. What are you going to tell me next? England won the World Cup?

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 25 2005,23:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 25 2005,17:22)]Jeez, the youth of today hey (I'm only 19 but hey).

Still never seen it but at least I know now.  What are you going to tell me next?  England won the World Cup?

laugh.gif
Heard on BBC London Sports show (you know the one hosted by Danny Someone) that the whole thing was fixed by the Scots, who voted for the name "The White Horse" as a **** take and an attempt to remove anything vaguely 1966 and all that from the new Wembley.

In the same programme Steve Jones the pikey was interviewed for an hour about his new Sporting memorabilia shop on Sahftesbury Avenue. We got a mention and it was actually pretty entertaining. His autograph sells in the shop for 50p or you can pay a grand for Bobby Moore's pants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 25 2005,23:31)]
[b said:

Still never seen it but at least I know now.  What are you going to tell me next?  England won the World Cup?

laugh.gif
Have they?
rock.gif
When was that?
tounge.gif

Back