• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was there in 1987??

Shrimp_chow_mein

So, how many of us mighty shrimpers can remember THAT last win at Grimsby?

I vaguely remember a load of little things, including the fact that...
1. We won.
2. I was a little worse 4 ware.
3. The train journey was a nightmare on a real bone shaker.
4. I went with Lee Venus! (to Grimsby i hasten to add!)

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was there my one and only visit to Grimsby(until next week).
I remember they had Steve Sherwood playing in goal from them(the Watford keeper in FA Cup Final 1984) and Gary Birtles.
Even Roy Mcdonough scored for us and we were 3-0 up at half time and the Grimsby fans fed up with their own team started cheering for us.
I think there was only about 100 Shrimpers fans up there that day and we started chanting 'is your manager Dick Bate'(our worst ever manager who had been sacked a few weeks earlier) .
I also went up there in 1992 when the game got called off because of fog!

As I remember it our fullback Peter Johnson was displaying hitherto unshown talents in whipping in some great crosses that day that were instrumental in two, maybe all three, of our goals. Martin Ling smacked a great shot into the net of the goal we were standing behind. Before the match a small group of us walked into a pub near the ground and it was a bit like one of those scenes from a western where everyone in there stops talking, the piano player stops playing and all eyes are on you, "Strangers in town". There were a uneasy few seconds when the only things moving were the many plumes of cigarette smoke. Was also at the matches that were called of for waterlogged pitch and fog. On the first occasion I was on the supporters' coach and we only knew the game was off when the coach pulled up at the ground. We just turned around and drove straight back home, didn't even get off the coach!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stig Purple @ May 03 2005,00:12)]Was also at the matches that were called of for waterlogged pitch and fog. On the first occasion I was on the supporters' coach and we only knew the game was off when the coach pulled up at the ground. We just turned around and drove straight back home, didn't even get off the coach!
yes I had the pleasure of those as well, great days!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stig Purple @ May 03 2005,00:12)]As I remember it our fullback Peter Johnson was displaying hitherto unshown talents in whipping in some great crosses that day that were instrumental in two, maybe all three, of our goals. Martin Ling smacked a great shot into the net of the goal we were standing behind. Before the match a small group of us walked into a pub near the ground and it was a bit like one of those scenes from a western where everyone in there stops talking, the piano player stops playing and all eyes are on you, "Strangers in town". There were a uneasy few seconds when the only things moving were the many plumes of cigarette smoke. Was also at the matches that were called of for waterlogged pitch and fog. On the first occasion I was on the supporters' coach and we only knew the game was off when the coach pulled up at the ground. We just turned around and drove straight back home, didn't even get off the coach!
I was also there. My strange experience in a pub before the game involved a cry of "Lottery Tickets" from behind me, and when our group all looked round there was the sound of breaking glass as two of my erstwhile colleagues dropped their full pints in shock and awe. The guy selling his lottery tickets had an abnormal size head (about twice the size of a normal head. I seem to recall three eyes one of which was on the end of a stem about five inches long. Uneven ears and a large flap of skin hanging about eight inches down the side of his face completed the visage. On top of all that he had an Arthur Scargill brush-over hair style.
3-0 up at half-time all in our end, sunny day. fancy a repeat on Saturday.

Back