• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would you offer a new contract to when we stay up

who would you offer a new contract to

• white

Votes: 76 58.9%
  • hendrie

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • turner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • coker

Votes: 103 79.8%

• Total voters

BriggBlue

Schoolboy
Following on from the new manager thread there's a few posts about who would be offered new contracts for next season, I'm assuming that the U23's would be handled by Kev and Ricky which leaves just the four in the poll. Obviously this is in L1 when we go on a 5 game winning run starting with fleetwood on saturday.

None of the above. We need to clear the decks and start afresh.
Turner and Hendre not good enough.... White and Coker both injury prone and would want too much money for us in league 2

Hendrie and Coker, only two worth hanging on too out of those 4.

I’d clear the lot out, but I’d sit on the fence with Hendrie, think on his day is great anywhere down the left hand side, and this is if we are relegated or not.

Turner will retire in the summer regardless. He wanted to retire last summer but was cajoled into one more season.

None of the above. We need to clear the decks and start afresh.
Turner and Hendre not good enough.... White and Coker both injury prone and would want too much money for us in league 2

I agree with you; need to ditch all 4. The only one I would be tempted to keep, if we end up in League Two is Hendrie

I voted Coker...but think that the club will sell/ release him to ease costs...shame, but that's the current stage of a League 1 struggling team...

White. Can play anywhere along the back four and is a great squad player.

I diagree with that; I wouldn't want White playing full back at all anymore. IMO we need better players than White, so I would use the wages else where.

I voted Coker...but think that the club will sell/ release him to ease costs...shame, but that's the current stage of a League 1 struggling team...

I doubt his market value is particularly high.

Out of interest he won't be playing before his contract expires. Assuming he is released are we lagally/honour boubd to continue with his treatment?

Last edited:
None of them. Time for a complete clear out, get rid of everyone except Cox (if he wants to stay), Kiernan, Lennon, Dru, Hopper, Humphries, Barratt, Klass, Hutchinson and Kelman. The rest can go, it's the senior pro's who've badly underperformed, notably the whole of the midfield.

I doubt his market value is particularly high.

Out of interest he won't be playing before his contract expires. Assuming he is released are we lagally/honour boubd to continue with his treatment?

I'm not sure if its all contracts but under some rule if you have not found another club by the end of June when your contract runs out then you get payed another month until the end of July.

I guess that would take Coker up to the point where he wouldn't need much input form Ben Clarkson.

With more monthly payouts to CP, DM and maybe Keen, i cant see us risking contracts on Coker or Barratt etc.

Other than Turner, most of the players that fans aren't to happy with will be under contract. Kightly, Dieng, Hyam, Mantom, McL and Theo etc.

Unless we can get moves for any of the above on similar wages then we had better get used to the idea of seeing them next season.

Other than that the New manger in the summer will have a large percentage of budgett paying out for the likes of Kightly whilst he plays for another club.

Turner will retire in the summer regardless. He wanted to retire last summer but was cajoled into one more season.
Yet amazingly, one of the few to continue to be available for selection! Not sure we’d have predicted that one.

And to the point of prediction, this is a Timlin question. I’d release all of them bar Coker, but it demands that we bring in someone better. Timlin wasn’t the answer at the beginning of this season, but I’m pretty confident we’d be a lot higher up the table if we’d retained him. As much hindsight as poor recruitment to replace him.

As for Coker, I’d only really be open to a short term contract as we need to understand the current and future player, not the one from before. That’s football unfortunately. For the record, I’d love him to shove those comments down my throat and I wish him well to do it!

I'd keep JW all day long.
His only crime is playing for Col U isn't it?
and being overrated, and taking a space of a flexible young backup player in the squad.

A nice guy and stepped up when necessary, but time for him to move on.

Coker would probably be the only one in all honesty.

If we go down then offer John White another deal as well. Turner will probably retire either way and Hendrie's just not quite up to it IMO. Shame as there is a player in there

I would keep Coker, as long as he's realistic about wages. He's too injury prone for someone else in L1 or above to pay bigger wages to. But get him fit and we all know what a brilliant player he is, particularly if we're in L2. Would love to off-load Kightly as that just hasn't been worth the alledged wages, but assume we're stuck with him? I would keep White in L2, not L1. Turner should go.

Back