• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lenny played pre-season at right back while on trial, scored 3 awesome goals from there. Don't think he ever played RB "proper" although he has covered during a match.

He seems defensive with his tactics and that is passed on to the team. They should go go for it and if we lose a few we will be no worse than we are at the moment and maybe we may even go on a winning run.:smile: We seem to be playing good football but we are not offensive enough in my opinion.

Oh, I'm not sure how you can say that after Saturday's game - missed opportunities in the 1st half to put the game to bed, a lucklustre second half against a very poor Bury team - we didn't attack very much, keep the ball or create any real pressure and a player sent off. How much more offensive do you want the team to be?

Auger thoroughly deserves to start but he wont. He wasnt even in the squad on saturday + if Brown calls his team children i very much doubt he would follow this by giving another youth team player his debut, despite the fact he clearly has earnt it.

i'd definitely put Ryan Leonard back in the right back birth where he is best. Although Leonard has done ok i still disagree he is a central midfielder.... whereas he is potentially the best right back in the lower divisions. White to left back where he has played most of his career. IMHO Thompson is not strong enough to play centre back at Div2 but reads a game well + is quick, therefore will protect our back 4 allowing the full backs to rampage forward.

.....................................................BENTLEY..............................................
LEONARD.................PHILLIPS............................PROSSER................WHITE
..................................................THOMPSON...........................................
..........HURST................................TIMLIN........................ATKINSON.........
............................EASTWOOD......................CORR....................................

WOODROW,AUGER,STRAKER,SMITH,PAYNE,CLIFFORD,REID

I am excited by our new Taiwanese prospect playing in centre midfield.

Out of interest when have you seen Leonard at right-back in order to judge that that is his best position?

If Brown names that line-up Friday he deserves to be sacked on the spot.

Leonard played all his football at right back until he came to Blues + was unlucky we had Sean Clohessey at that time. The half a dozen matches ive seen Leonard play right back he was head + shoulders above everyone else and as OBL says scored some absolute crackers when played in his natural position. His pace gets him up + down the flank and is a superb crosser of the ball. White has played probably 80% of his career as left back + Thompson plays holding midfield role for the Irish U-21's.

So why should Brown be sacked on the spot ?

Yorkshire Blue , you are always quick to slag off everyone else - who would your team be that would be so damn perfect ???

Having read all of the above and duly made a comment......there seems to be some merit in moving Leonard to right back.

If, as others have said, he is that good at defending, controlling passing etc, etc....why not give him a go as clearly the team is not functioning in its current role?

To shuffle up the midfield could be a good thing ?

Anything but the Streaker / Timlin left side combo. Timlin is a shadow of the player he once was and Streaker's abilities at LB are pretty limited!

Auger thoroughly deserves to start but he wont. He wasnt even in the squad on saturday + if Brown calls his team children i very much doubt he would follow this by giving another youth team player his debut, despite the fact he clearly has earnt it.

i'd definitely put Ryan Leonard back in the right back birth where he is best. Although Leonard has done ok i still disagree he is a central midfielder.... whereas he is potentially the best right back in the lower divisions. White to left back where he has played most of his career. IMHO Thompson is not strong enough to play centre back at Div2 but reads a game well + is quick, therefore will protect our back 4 allowing the full backs to rampage forward.

.....................................................BENTLEY..............................................
LEONARD.................PHILLIPS............................PROSSER................WHITE
..................................................THOMPSON...........................................
..........HURST................................TIMLIN........................ATKINSON.........
............................EASTWOOD......................CORR....................................

WOODROW,AUGER,STRAKER,SMITH,PAYNE,CLIFFORD,REID
Asolutely this except I would put Seedy Njie on the bench in place of Straker thus keeping him as far away from the team as poss. He had me fooled up until the Morecambe game but not any more.

Leonard played all his football at right back until he came to Blues + was unlucky we had Sean Clohessey at that time. The half a dozen matches ive seen Leonard play right back he was head + shoulders above everyone else and as OBL says scored some absolute crackers when played in his natural position. His pace gets him up + down the flank and is a superb crosser of the ball. White has played probably 80% of his career as left back + Thompson plays holding midfield role for the Irish U-21's.

So why should Brown be sacked on the spot ?

Yorkshire Blue , you are always quick to slag off everyone else - who would your team be that would be so damn perfect ???

My team would be

Bentley
White Phillips Prosser Straker
Hurst Leonard Atkinson Timlin
Corr Eastwood

Not perfect, but not disruptive either and with a central midfield that would be competitive rather than swamped. It is madness making that many positional changes to cover a one match suspension.

Leonard has been head and shoulders above everyone else this season - which has been in central midfield.

What are the half dozen games you've seen him play at right-back?

Where did you hear that Thompson played midfield for Northern Ireland, because the reports I saw described him as a defender eg http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8870276/

What Danbury Shrimper wrote intersted me if THompsonreads the game well and as others have said is not a cb then just maybe playing him as the defensive midfielder is a very good idea.That being the case the the only other change i would make is by dropping Timlin as many here have said he is at present only a shadow of the player he was before the injury last season, in his place i would play Clifford as the attacking midfielder ,why ! well the young lad does like to attack and has a good scoring record when with Chelsea Youth and i believe given a run is going to be a good signing and he can score goals.We in need of a goal scoring midfielder too

I haven't seen the away game defeats and draw & have only seen the home games; I don't know what to expect from Bristol Rovers team and how they play but Ward/Wark (whatever his name is!) does have a reputation for being long ballish and favouring early play and big bruising strikers.
I would be tempted to play 3 5 2.
With White, MP and Luke (or Thompson)
wing backs of Hurst and Straker
Centre midfield of Atkinson, Leonard and Timlin
Barry and Fred

Again, the subs are important and Mr Brown needs to use them to improve the team, get his plays working and have a clear simple message(s) of what he expects each player to be doing; especially at set pieces.

This is what CP has perdicted on twiiter, god help us with straker at the back again.

Id rather Straker at left back than throwing a kid in at a time when the team are trying to get out of a bad run of 5 games.

Definitely Straker at left back for me.

I haven't seen the away game defeats and draw & have only seen the home games; I don't know what to expect from Bristol Rovers team and how they play but Ward/Wark (whatever his name is!) does have a reputation for being long ballish and favouring early play and big bruising strikers.
I would be tempted to play 3 5 2.
With White, MP and Luke (or Thompson)
wing backs of Hurst and Straker
Centre midfield of Atkinson, Leonard and Timlin
Barry and Fred

Again, the subs are important and Mr Brown needs to use them to improve the team, get his plays working and have a clear simple message(s) of what he expects each player to be doing; especially at set pieces.

Stick to basics.

The team has conceded silly goals and confidence must be shaken, changed to weird and wonderful formations that they arent comfortable with is not the answer.

My team would be

Bentley
White Phillips Prosser Straker
Hurst Leonard Atkinson Timlin
Corr Eastwood

Not perfect, but not disruptive either and with a central midfield that would be competitive rather than swamped. It is madness making that many positional changes to cover a one match suspension.

Leonard has been head and shoulders above everyone else this season - which has been in central midfield.

What are the half dozen games you've seen him play at right-back?

Where did you hear that Thompson played midfield for Northern Ireland, because the reports I saw described him as a defender eg http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8870276/

Spot on, wish Id read that first and would have just said "agreed" !

"Oh Ben Coker - Coker Cabana, he's quite good but drops the odd clanger,
Shooting & passion but his hair's not in fashion
Oh Ben Coker- he got sent off."

While i'm in a musical groove we will probably "Straker Chance" on Strakes at LB on Friday.

Straker to left back...... more like left back in the dressing room!!

I'm not a massive fan of Straker, didnt really get the love given out earlier in the season either.

That said he is a decent replacement to cover a suspension and dont see the logic in leaving him out. Coker doesnt get the same criticism yet cost us the game against Scunthorpe and then got sent off.

I'm not a massive fan of Straker, didnt really get the love given out earlier in the season either.

That said he is a decent replacement to cover a suspension and dont see the logic in leaving him out. Coker doesnt get the same criticism yet cost us the game against Scunthorpe and then got sent off.

Anthony Straker could find the cure for cancer but still get berated on this forum!

Back