• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

james_c

First XI
like him or not as a manager steve tilson was a great player for southend and did good things as manager. another example is kevin maher he didnt even get a good reception when he came back.. for people to be happy tilson has taken lincoln down is a disgrace. the thing i think is funny fans have said sturrock is here now lets move on but the first chance to put the boot in to him were singing anti tilly songs AT A SOUTHEND GAME HES GONE!!! i feel for sturrock he could prob get us into the prem leave come back with someone else and be booed.

like him or not as a manager steve tilson was a great player for southend and did good things as manager. another example is kevin maher he didnt even get a good reception when he came back.. for people to be happy tilson has taken lincoln down is a disgrace. the thing i think is funny fans have said sturrock is here now lets move on but the first chance to put the boot in to him were singing anti tilly songs AT A SOUTHEND GAME HES GONE!!! i feel for sturrock he could prob get us into the prem leave come back with someone else and be booed.
because some people are clearly stuck in the past...

To be fair, Tilly did have a presentation made to him after 1,000 fans made a pilgrimage up to Lincoln to see him a couple of months back. Plus I was at Roots Hall the first time Maher came back and he got a fantastic reception. I'm not sure that those were the best two examples. Roycie always gets a good reception too.

I do agree with the general point though. I don't understand why our fans boo a lot of a lot of our former players. The likes of Nicky Bailey are obviously fair game but I remember Kevin Betsy getting booed for Wycombe earlier in the season. I don't really understand why a solid, if unspectacular, player who I don't think rocked the boat here and hasn't said anythnig bad about the Club afterwards gets booed simply because the Club decided to sell him. I'm sure I'll be told that that is football, but plenty of other clubs actually treat former players with respect, or at least indifference.

As long as the players that are playing for us aren't getting booed, I don't care who does to be honest. Although 9/10 if you boo an ex player they score.

Lets be honest the good or hard working players that move on in the right way never get booed.

Maher never really gets anything other than applause as he is a legend, Tilly everyone wants to do well but they maybe dont like Lincoln. I am sure even if you look at last seasons squad players like Barrett, Macca, Francis, Moussa. Midly, Barnard etc will get by and large a good reception as they tried hard, did there best etc.

Players like Bailey get what they deserve as do wasters like Malone etc. Its really down to how much effort the fans feel they put into there time at Southend.

Lets be honest the good or hard working players that move on in the right way never get booed.

Maher never really gets anything other than applause as he is a legend, Tilly everyone wants to do well but they maybe dont like Lincoln. I am sure even if you look at last seasons squad players like Barrett, Macca, Francis, Moussa. Midly, Barnard etc will get by and large a good reception as they tried hard, did there best etc.

Players like Bailey get what they deserve as do wasters like Malone etc. Its really down to how much effort the fans feel they put into there time at Southend.

Spot on DtS. Players that show some effort and fight - however limited their ability - will always get a good reception from me, whereas wasters such as Ricketts and Malone or those that left under a cloud such as Rawle or Bailey will always recieve a hostile reception.

I didn't join in the chants about Tilly going down but I'm glad they did because it's a dump and I don't really care for Lincoln City that much. I'm disappointed for Tilly, but he'll pick himself up from this and will have further success in the future.

It's just a continuation of the abuse they get from when they are current players.

"why our are fans so harsh on ex players/managers"
Not sure I understand your point, they aren't. Maher's first game back at the Hall featured more pro-Maher singing than pro-Southend singing, to the point that it became embarrassing. There was a pro-Tilly pilgramage to Lincoln this season.

I'm sure most people agree with the first line of your post.

The main reason is that they have provided decades of failure and **** football.

I think the only two ex Southenders I've given grief to is Barry Fry and Nickey Bailey. Both left in Judaseque circumstances. I tend to find that ex players who get grief here raise their game and do well. In fact Scot Malone had his best game at Roots Hall whilst playing for Burton. Whereas if we give them a good reception (Clarkey when he returned from Huddersfield) its takes the sting out of it they don't raise their game.

With a few exceptions, most players who come here suffer with limited ability (hence they aren't playing higher) but act in a professional manner in trying to do the best they can for the club. I've never quite understood why former players should get grief, especially those who have been part of successful sides. Wonder what reception Adam Barrett would get if he ever returned!

JCR was another who raised his game against us if you remember. I didn't get too involved in the Tilly love-in at lincoln, personally I found it a bit nauseating, but that is my own view. He has my respect for what he achieved here, and I still think he was treated disgracefully, but more and more stuff is coming to light from various people that leads me to not be quite as rose tinted in my views on him as others. He had persistent faults in his time as manager and he clearly has still not recognised them as he was making the same errors at Lincoln, particularly an inability to adapt to a certain game, or to introduce subs early enough to have an impact. He's gone, it's done, Sturrock's the boss now, and we all ought to be thankful he is!

JCR was another who raised his game against us if you remember. I didn't get too involved in the Tilly love-in at lincoln, personally I found it a bit nauseating, but that is my own view. He has my respect for what he achieved here, and I still think he was treated disgracefully, but more and more stuff is coming to light from various people that leads me to not be quite as rose tinted in my views on him as others. He had persistent faults in his time as manager and he clearly has still not recognised them as he was making the same errors at Lincoln, particularly an inability to adapt to a certain game, or to introduce subs early enough to have an impact. He's gone, it's done, Sturrock's the boss now, and we all ought to be thankful he is!

You do have an odd memory!

but more and more stuff is coming to light from various people that leads me to not be quite as rose tinted in my views on him as others.

Oh right like him having to pay Herd's rent for him because the scumbag owner wasn't paying the players on time ? How awful of Tilly to do that. I trust that whatever you do for a living you do perfectly and make no mistakes and get on with 100% of your colleagues.

I wouldn't jeer our ex players, unless they did a Fry or a Bailey and left under the cloud - I am not bothered what they do, if they leave Southend Utd for someone else, its up to them - I am leaving my company very soon this year, for another company .... its simple ... less hour work and double what I get in a week - so I cannot blame the players if they did the same.

Back