• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Why don't you go away?

What puts you off travelling to away games?

• Away games are just too expensive.

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Until we get better performances on the pitch I'm not inclined to go away

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Family takes priority at the moment

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I just can't spare the time.

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters
Until I go into employment and have a car I wont be doing many long trips. Can't afford it.

Still planning on Millwall, Orient, Gills and Saints this year.

It's interesting that at the moment only 7.41% (or 2 out of 27) have been put off by poor performances.

Truth is that if we had more money and time and less family we would all be gluttons for punishment and taking whatever cr*p is dished out on the pitch.

DoDtS

The money isn't impossible to muster up to get to away games, just it turns out to be a little beit too much to go every away game. The recent performances obviously effect the decision aswell, although going with a group of mates normally means that you'll have a good laugh either way!

Can I just question what you spent? You mention food and yet I paid for your food. All £2.20 on a pastie.

In all seriousness I used to do almost all the aways but the end of last season and this season its tailed off.

I would rather personally spend some time with my daughter and wife than go up north everyweek. I do really miss it to a degree but then I think back to all the away trips that I have done when I spent loads, it was crap football, I got frozen etc. It all part of the fun but while my daughter is so young I feel its right to be about.

I expect in a few years once Dave Junior 2 arrives and is a bit older I will go back to it as I cant see myself giving it up for good.

Midweek games are largely out for me because of work. Like others have said I've done all of the grounds in our league apart from Franchise FC where I'll never go. Will hopefully do Orient, Col Ewe, Charlton, Southampton and possibly Leeds.

It's interesting that at the moment only 7.41% (or 2 out of 27) have been put off by poor performances.

Doesn't surprise me much to be honest

We are Southend not glory hunting Arsenal/Chelsea/Manure fans .. we go (when we can) more in hope than expectation, and no matter how **** we are we will go (again, when we can) because you never know when you are gonna be treated

My lad is now 9 so he virtually doubles what i spend on an away trip (especially the booze) .. the fact that i've been to every ground we are scheduled to visit this season is another excuse not to go .. i'll make an exception for The Ooze and Col Ewe and the FA Cup as these are special games

I think i'm getting old and apathetic towards travelling miles now too

Or are you being a tight git here Lee?

Truth is that if we had more money and time and less family we would all be gluttons for punishment and taking whatever cr*p is dished out on the pitch.

DoDtS
I use to do all the away games during the bad old days (see earlier posts) we knew we were crap, but yet it was always the same 150-200 every game 2-3 coaches and umpteen cars. In those days it was affordable £20 was the most you paid for a coach (Sunderland, Carlisle) I have no idea how much it is today to get a coach up north.

I use to do all the away games during the bad old days (see earlier posts) we knew we were crap, but yet it was always the same 150-200 every game 2-3 coaches and umpteen cars. In those days it was affordable £20 was the most you paid for a coach (Sunderland, Carlisle) I have no idea how much it is today to get a coach up north.

Stockport is £25 on Trust or SoL which I think is quite reasonable, what is unreasonable is admission to the ground at usually 20 smackers plus.

I beleive that Football lead by the premiership is pricing itself out of the average fans reach. Season tickets are a good deal, but going to away/occassional home games is expensive.

DoDtS

Back