• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leoblue

Director
This one baffles me. The guy is a tactician, motivator, loyal to his players, takes defeat on his (own) chin, passionate about the club, I really could go on.

What most fans don't see outside of our club, he also does a lot for charity, always makes sure, either he or the players attend events for the fans eg.

I'd also like to say that Ron got it spot on so needs some credit. OK, PB is probably our highest wage earner in our history (as a manager), but isn't he worth it? With the shares in the club Ron gave PB in his new contract was quite clever in my eyes... I can't think of any other manager I'd rather have at the club.

In a nut shell, I think other clubs supporters know he's a good manager and slightly jealous :smile:

Ask Yorkshire blue he has hated Phil Brown from the second he walked in to the club....literally loves it when something goes wrong so he can dig brown. Oh and silencer too.

Ask Yorkshire blue he has hated Phil Brown from the second he walked in to the club....literally loves it when something goes wrong so he can dig brown. Oh and silencer too.

Who could we get better than PB............ I wouldn't want anyone else.

I was anti when he came but he's certainly won me over. Very committed and interested whenever we have a JB event, and always got time to speak to the youngsters whenever they're pitchside for a presentation. That's all aside from his managerial stuff, only thing I have an issue with is the continued use of Atkinson, who, for every good game seems to have far too many not so good.

I was a big critic of PB last seson - but the run in and wembley started to win me over (I know the wycombe game was crap until the pig saved us with his goal) - but I've been impressed this season - very happy to have him as our manager

I was anti when he came but he's certainly won me over. Very committed and interested whenever we have a JB event, and always got time to speak to the youngsters whenever they're pitchside for a presentation. That's all aside from his managerial stuff, only thing I have an issue with is the continued use of Atkinson, who, for every good game seems to have far too many not so good.

I agree with what you say, though, unlike us, he seems to get the best out of the players he has. He's loyal to WA but he does work hard. Us as fans aren't always going to be happy with his selections but we near the play offs so can't moan really.

As a character, I like PB, he really is a nice bloke.

I loved Tilly but I'd sooner have PB than Tilly. PB gives us more stability and more know how of the game...

For me there are a few separate factors; I like Phil's manners, his openness, his style etc. I like the way he takes responsibility and I like the way he wants to defend.
So from that you may gather my dislikes are not personal.
I don't like the lack of attacking input and "goal getting" momentum that I notice from the sidelines (I sit v close to the home dug out) and I don't like a measure of the rigidity exerted on players that seems to stifle them at times.
Phil has a great back up staff and has set us up for the Championhip in that regard-well done again.
Please don't confuse feedback observations from a fan as an "anti" stance (from me), (as I ain't) but then I also don't wear rose tinted glasses or expect us to play like Barca every game BUT sometimes we do!:smile:

Quite simply, it is racial prejudice ......... some people are anti-orange through and through I'm afraid.

You'll not even find them having a satsuma at Christmas (even though they are nice and juicy).

For me there are a few separate factors; I like Phil's manners, his openness, his style etc. I like the way he takes responsibility and I like the way he wants to defend.
So from that you may gather my dislikes are not personal.
I don't like the lack of attacking input and "goal getting" momentum that I notice from the sidelines (I sit v close to the home dug out) and I don't like a measure of the rigidity exerted on players that seems to stifle them at times.
Phil has a great back up staff and has set us up for the Championhip in that regard-well doe again.
Please don't confuse feedback observations from a fan as an "anti" stance (from me), (as I ain't) but then I also don't wear rose tinted glasses or expect us to play like Barca every game BUT sometimes we do!:smile:

That's a good view...... For me, we have that defending way about us which is frustrating but we do click and stuff teams when we really don't expect it.

For me, that's a sign of a good team and clever management. We're a really good team and I said from the start we'd be in the play offs, I really don't fear anyone in this league.

This season could get exciting. Given we scraped up last season the squad building and improvement is amazing. Maybe he does know what he's doing after all :)

Me and the old man was talking on the way out the ground, the main thing that's I've been an ardent supporter of PB about is the obvious team spirit that is more than evident in almost every game. You can sense that even though he can only pick 11, the spirit in the squad is second to none and it's that just that spirit that has served is so well over the small difficult periods you have to expect as a realistic fan.

My main gripe on the forum however is the complete anti PB supporters that say we got promotion in spite of him, but then when we do have bad periods it's his fault , that is unfair. Yes, whilst some see the Wycombe game as poor , each to their own on the score, I can't see how we can accuse PB of being lucky that we equalised. We equalised because of that team spirit, that never say attitude that has been installed in this squad. Of course he makes errors, but he often holds his hands up when that happens, but for what we should realistically be able to expect with our budget, I think we've done well to have PB at the luck. Fair play to Ron as well, He supports his managers, the latter part of the Tilly years, granted were difficult, but world economy issues didn't help there, but Tilly was supported the proceeding years to that. He was also excellent in his appointment of PS at that particular time and whilst the sacking of PS and appointment of PB was handled fantastically well, the PB appointment has in the whole been one of success.

That's my take anyway ... ( also after having Dick Bate, Colin Murphy ( Stan Collymore apart), Steve Wignall and Alvin Martin, PB is world class in comparison with those ....)

He's one of the more passionate managers on the touchline, a big name and was targeted by the press and came in for a bit of stick, so one that fans will carry on. Any ex-Premiership manager now in League 1 will get stick, and PB isn't one to shirk away from it and probably only makes it worse for himself, not that there's anything wrong with deflecting the opposition supports attention.

Unless a club has had PB as a manager then they can only judge him on a very limited perception, often based on media influence. Check out Hull fans and by and large they still love him. We've had him as a manager now for long enough to see all of his facets, good and bad and we have judged accordingly. Most really rate the guy, including me for what he has done for the team and club and the town, and especially,because he got us promoted out of FL2 with a finish to remember for ever. The Bury website at the moment reckons he is ok and his tactics went a long way towards the stuffing they got last night.

At the end of the day I actually don't give a stuff what other supporters think, in fact it's probably a backhanded compliment. Even the suntan his glorious skin tone makes him stand out. Keep doing it PB and the majority here will be very happy.

Last edited:
For me he (Phil Brown) has one large character flaw that I struggle to see past or around I'm afraid.

He loves Country and Western songs and line dancing. Now you might say "oh come on - there are far worse things" or "it's a partially free country" or "what he does in his own home" ...... but I just can't see that.

He (Brown) is in charge of young players who will be susceptible to being influenced by him - so this evening Phil Brown may be line dancing at Culpeppers in Basildon (and that's up to him) but what if Thompson and Payne and Prosser are there as well. What if they started to line dance at Roots Hall? What if they started wearing cuban heels? And wearing cowboy hats and coats with tassels? What if Williams can't get some time on the pitch because he thinks Dolly Parton has too much front?

I'm all for supporting the manager and we should "stand by your man" but there it is. Time for a D I V O R C E perhaps ..........

Back