• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Extraordinary scenes at The Emirates this week where journalists in town for the big clash between Arsenal and Liverpool were served up with a little sporting hors deouvre as two respectable, well known British hacks went for each other's throats and had to be seperated by their colleagues. The unspoken rules of my profession forbid me from naming names, but it was the breach of that code that started the trouble in the first place.

An innocuous piece last week in one of the British broadsheets accused several newspapers of misrepresenting Fabio Capello's comments about David Beckham being England's 'Ronaldo'. This is frowned upon in the close-knit circle of football journalism. You can attack players and managers, it appears, but you never attack each other. One heavyweight columnist responded to the accusations by very publicly pointing out in that the man who had made them co-wrote Peter Crouch's autobiography and, if he was so interested in tranparency, perhaps he could declare that interest every time he wrote about him. The row simmered gently until they 'bumped' into each other on Wednesday night.

It is depressing to report that the battle royal of two of this generation's finest wordsmiths could conjure up no insults more eloquent than, and I paraphrase for decency's sake, "You started it, you twonk," and, "Why don't you fudge off, you fat punt."

Ladies and Gentlemen; the glamour of journalism!

And probably in the right as well, you don't attack your own. If it was him, of course, I'm not saying it was.

Fair play to...erm...the other guy as well. Gave up a significant weight/height advantage to go tete a tete with his opponent.

And probably in the right as well, you don't attack your own. If it was him, of course, I'm not saying it was.

Fair play to...erm...the other guy as well. Gave up a significant weight/height advantage to go tete a tete with his opponent.

MS is a Spammer as well, so probably knows a few things about fighting dirty

ps I love the hypocrisy of some of the tab writers who moan about players wages, when some of them get in excess of £200k a year

Did all the other journos crowd around shouting "Fight, fight, fight, fight"?

They moved surprisngly quickly acutally, but the very loud swearing had the stewards running in to make it look worse than it was. In the aftermath, Henry Winter was the voice of reason, it has to be said. Cut above the rest, that man.

Oh damn i was hoping fro a tragic yet fatal incident involing the whole Daily Mail Editorial and Sun teams , involving volvonts and Walkers Crips

This is excellent stuff mate, your career is definitely on the up! Do you not think for the sake of making a name for yourself you could have stepped in at some point? Maybe nutted Henry Kelly or something?

Samuels is one of the better sports journalists around at the moment, probably got a demon of a right hand on him too...

Oh damn i was hoping fro a tragic yet fatal incident involing the whole Daily Mail Editorial and Sun teams , involving volvonts and Walkers Crips

and yet, the Sun journos I've met have been some of the more intelligent of the journos around. make of that what you will. it takes a talent to write to the lowest common denominator.

They should watch out, this could spiral out of control.

Next these journalists will be going underground, recruiting lots of unwitting interns to organise and partake in early hours bare-knuckle pun offs. Its sad to see grown men standing around, goading each other on, naked as the day they were born, engaging in this sort of criminal activity....

Slipperduke said:
In the aftermath, Henry Winter was the voice of reason, it has to be said. Cut above the rest, that man.
He's one of the main reasons that I buy the Telegraph. What did he have to say about it?

He told everyone that they were being silly and they should just sort it out now because they couldn't work in such close proximity with it festering in the background. In life, as in print, he's on the button again.

Back