• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Andy Murray ever win a major?

Will Andy Murray ever win a major singles title?

• Total voters
Never knew this was such a landslide.

Murray reaches the semis of his first masters' season finale almost at a canter after Simon worked his nuts off to get an opportunity he could throw away.

Impressive stuff in dispatching Roddick and Simon without really having to dig in to his best form for the vast majority of either game.

The game against Federer could be fascinating. Murray has qualified and is playing for pride while Fed needs it to get through (probably). Although a lot of the players look weary and Nadal has withdrawn, I think winning this should rightfully be considered the fifth major if you have to add one.

Never knew this was such a landslide.

Murray reaches the semis of his first masters' season finale almost at a canter after Simon worked his nuts off to get an opportunity he could throw away.

Impressive stuff in dispatching Roddick and Simon without really having to dig in to his best form for the vast majority of either game.

The game against Federer could be fascinating. Murray has qualified and is playing for pride while Fed needs it to get through (probably). Although a lot of the players look weary and Nadal has withdrawn, I think winning this should rightfully be considered the fifth major if you have to add one.

Agree with what you are saying as always Phil... but it's not a fifth major ;) Simple reason is because it is a unique tournament (yes it involves the world's top eight) but seeded players are always susceptible to tournament exits from underdogs.

If you base the tournament on the fact that it is only the top eight playing then perhaps it stands out from other masters... I'm not convinced though.

Murray is a break up in the deciding set in Shanghai against Federer. It's a dead rubber for Murray and Fed seems to be injured, but still a great performance

Agree with what you are saying as always Phil... but it's not a fifth major ;) Simple reason is because it is a unique tournament (yes it involves the world's top eight) but seeded players are always susceptible to tournament exits from underdogs.

If you base the tournament on the fact that it is only the top eight playing then perhaps it stands out from other masters... I'm not convinced though.

All fair points.

The general level of lethargy amongst players seems to have demeaned it a bit. I seem to remember it being a bit better last year. It's almost as though each player can only have one burst of energy as they are always up against top players and the one who wins is the one who, to be honest, didn't impress that much in the group but really needed a big bottling moment from his eventual final opponent to stay in it.

Shame about the scheduling, too because although Murray could have been playing better and a lot of credit goes to Davydenko, he was visibly tired as soon as it was clear it was going to need more than one set.

Should really have watched the final...

All fair points.

The general level of lethargy amongst players seems to have demeaned it a bit. I seem to remember it being a bit better last year. It's almost as though each player can only have one burst of energy as they are always up against top players and the one who wins is the one who, to be honest, didn't impress that much in the group but really needed a big bottling moment from his eventual final opponent to stay in it.

Shame about the scheduling, too because although Murray could have been playing better and a lot of credit goes to Davydenko, he was visibly tired as soon as it was clear it was going to need more than one set.

Should really have watched the final...

Exactly, the idea of the event is great in the sense you get the top 8, have a round robin tournament, top 4 go through and fight it out in the semis. As it is the end of year tournament, this should be a fitting end to the year.

In reality, not quite so. Players are tired, some pull out. In the case of Roddick, he pulls out during it, which affects the group stage and means Stepanek comes in at short notice. How can you justify a fair group there?!

Then, if a player gets through, you can always bet that the average player from the group stage has more chance of winning the semis match. The only incentive is money as I believe Murray won a million, (please do not ask for a source you will just have to take my word on it ;)) simply for making it through the group stage.

On the plus side, you still get to see the world's top stars in action, albeit missing a few.

On another note, because Murray has had a decent year, I feel the press have disillusioned a clear picture. He is so far from being World Number 3 on points (when may be you would expect him to be in reach), that he is alot closer to dropping to 5th. You get so many ATP points for winning a major, which is where Djorkovic has benefited.

Should be an interesting 2009 as Nadal has potential to dominate but it is no longer just him and Federer completely dominating the tour.

oh dear, I'm absolutely loving the claims of Murray being better then djokovic. It's plain and simple, Murray hasn't got the mental ability to be any better then he is, it's nothing to do with talent. I personnaly think it would take a hell of a lot of luck for Murray to win an open.

Whether you like him or not, he is certainly someone flying the flag for GREAT BRITAIN.
No he isnt. He is Flying the Flag for Scotland.

oh dear, I'm absolutely loving the claims of Murray being better then djokovic. It's plain and simple, Murray hasn't got the mental ability to be any better then he is, it's nothing to do with talent. I personnaly think it would take a hell of a lot of luck for Murray to win an open.

Mental ability? Strange thinkg to put Chokovic ( (C) Betfair tennis forums) ahead on. Temperament, I would say he is ahead on but he's had a pretty poor year since winning the Aus Open and as mentioned, Davydenko should have put him out of the tournament in the group stages if he wasn't such a massive bottler himself.

Djokovic is ahead on points and I can't think of any other way of putting it more succinctly.

Exactly, the idea of the event is great in the sense you get the top 8, have a round robin tournament, top 4 go through and fight it out in the semis. As it is the end of year tournament, this should be a fitting end to the year.

In reality, not quite so. Players are tired, some pull out. In the case of Roddick, he pulls out during it, which affects the group stage and means Stepanek comes in at short notice. How can you justify a fair group there?!

Then, if a player gets through, you can always bet that the average player from the group stage has more chance of winning the semis match. The only incentive is money as I believe Murray won a million, (please do not ask for a source you will just have to take my word on it ;)) simply for making it through the group stage.

On the plus side, you still get to see the world's top stars in action, albeit missing a few.

It's not a perfect tournament by any means. Still, I'll be at the front of the queue when they start selling tickets for it at the O2 next year!

Davydenko should have put him out of the tournament in the group stages if he wasn't such a massive bottler himself.

djokovic would have then most probably beat tsonga and gone through anyway. i think for his age, djokovic is much more mature as a player then murray is, hence the difference in quality/ ATP points.

djokovic would have then most probably beat tsonga and gone through anyway. i think for his age, djokovic is much more mature as a player then murray is, hence the difference in quality/ ATP points.

Tsonga who beat him in the event, the BNP Paribas Masters and the Thailand Open.

;)

FWIW, I agree that Djokovic can still claim to be the better player. Even not competing in the Australian Open he would still be about 1000 points ahead of Murray and he's only 10 behind Federer which is a great achievement for anyone. I'm annoyed a bit as I was hoping he would push on and give a good account of himself at Wimbledon. Fair enough Safin was really on form but a second round exit is a second round exit.

Still, at the present time with Murray's game improving so rapidly and playing in a style that no-one else on the tour plays, I would say they are pretty much level pegged. Not just me either. Odds on the Aus Open winner:

Fed - 3.8
Nadal - 6.2
Murray - 6.2
Djokovic - 6.6

Really looking forward to it already but a shame work prohibits me from betting on Aus events :(

No he won't. Had the upper hand v Nadal and has let it slip time and again. He hasn't got the same mental agility and fitness as Rafa, Feds and now Djokovic. They're in a class of their own.

Unfortunately for Murray he's come into tennis at probably the worst time. He started during the era of Federer domination, then Nadal joined in and now Djokovic has started to fulfil his talent. Nadal and Federer are arguably 2 of the greatest ever players of the game, it's very difficult for Murray. A few years ago I really thought he would win a Grand Slam one day but now I'm not so sure. Fitness is too much of a problem for him. We'll see. I really hope he does and is not another nearly man like Henman.

Murray definitely has the ability to win a Grand Slam and I am sure he will. However I can't see him winning on clay or grass. That leaves Australia where he has reached the last two finals & the US where he was thrashed by Federer in 2009. People doubt his fitness but to go the distance at Flinders Park in the searing 40+ degree temps of Melbourne in January he's obviously no slouch. And this year he came up against an inspired Djokavich who until last week was undefeated this year.

Murray definitely has the ability to win a Grand Slam and I am sure he will. However I can't see him winning on clay or grass. That leaves Australia where he has reached the last two finals & the US where he was thrashed by Federer in 2009. People doubt his fitness but to go the distance at Flinders Park in the searing 40+ degree temps of Melbourne in January he's obviously no slouch. And this year he came up against an inspired Djokavich who until last week was undefeated this year.

I could beat murray!

Back