• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
So, with the Winter Olympics coming up, what will everyone be watching... or does the snow and ice leave you cold? (Pardon the pun)

As I've discovered, there is now a reason to watch the speed skating - Anni Friesinger's thrups.

Shooting_29.jpg

Shooting_30.jpg

anni.jpg

Marvellous.  I also rediscover my Canadian passport and birth certificate at about this time, so that I cheer on a decent team in the hockey!  (That's ice hockey to the uninitiated...)

Finally, I'll be hoping (but, alas, not with any great sense of expectation) that Alain Baxter can make up for the hurt of Salt Lake City, where he had his bronze medal stripped from him for the simple mistake of not realising that North American Vicks nasal spray was different from European Vicks nasal spray in one crucial respect: it contains Ephedrine, a banned substance.  Bloody Americans (sorry Seth)!

wink.gif

So, what will you be watching from Torino...?

rock.gif

Matt

I'll be watching far too much of it...all the Nordics at my work will be mad about it, so the TVs at work will be full of nonsense like Biathlon and Nordic Combined for the next fortnight (sigh).

Still, that Friesinger might help make the event bearable
smile.gif

Another one to keep an out for is Gretchen Bleiler, managed to see this piccy in the Times over the weekend and decided to share it with you guys. She is part of the US Snowboard team.

5071762.jpg

I like the sled events and the ski jumping.

I also like any big stacks in the downhill events.

thought i over-saw an advert on the beeb about this. surely winter olympics would be more fittingly closer christmas? seems like ages since the last - well four years a long time i suppose! always enjoyed the ski jumping - dont know if thats the correct term for the sport but it seems appropriate as they jump off a ramp as far as they can go! *think ive been smoking the funny stuff here*

other than that theres always the classic downhill which always grabs the attention. apart from that, i dont really see the point in winter olympics, baring that speed skating bird who matt quite rightly points out deserves a good few hours...... viewing
smile.gif

The luge, nothing like watching mental mountain folk sliding down a bobsled run on what basically is a tea-tray.

Good shout on both the "luvverley laydeez" so far!

Massive ice hockey fan, so I'll be sure to be checking that out. Only thing is that the hockey will be played on the larger European rinks, so will be nowhere near as intense as the NHL stuff (which quite frankly is just as rad as sport can possibly get!!).

Other than that, Luge, skeleton and Bobsleigh are all pretty cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ Feb. 08 2006,14:18)]always enjoyed the ski jumping - dont know if thats the correct term for the sport but it seems appropriate as they jump off a ramp as far as they can go! *think ive been smoking the funny stuff here*
It's slightly more than just seeing how far they can jump, there is a style element, in how well they land the jump and the distance and style are combined.

Will probably be watching most of the Winter Olympics as I haven't got work to go to. Always look forward to the skiing, speedskating, and luge (which I hope is as good fun as it looks, gotta give it a go)

i was flicking through the sports channels two weekends agao and came across a sport i have nevr seen. it was basedon ice hocey but was played on a pitch the same size as a football one and had 11 players each side. it was also played with a ball and not a puck. And the match consisted of wo halfs of 45 minutes each anyone knows what it is called and if that is an olympic sport. was really good. Sweden beat Kazekstain 13-2.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Feb. 08 2006,18:27)]i was flicking through the sports channels two weekends agao and came across a sport i have nevr seen. it was basedon ice hocey but was played on a pitch the same size as a football one and had 11 players each side. it was also played with a ball and not a puck. And the match consisted of wo halfs of 45 minutes each anyone knows what it is called and if that is an olympic sport. was really good. Sweden beat Kazekstain 13-2.
That'll be 'bandy'.

Not an Olympic sport but huge in Scandinavia and the countries of the former USSR.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Feb. 08 2006,16:57)](which quite frankly is just as rad as sport can possibly get!!).
you're the only person I know who uses the word rad!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 08 2006,14:10)]Another one to keep an out for is Gretchen Bleiler, managed to see this piccy in the Times over the weekend and decided to share it with you guys. She is part of the US Snowboard team.

5071762.jpg
I actually met Gretchen Bleiler a couple of years back, but I had no idea who she was at the time. I took a lift up with her and was chatting with her most of the way up the mountain. When I got off the lift my friend, who was already at the top waiting for me, instantly recognized her. Probably for the best though since if I had known who she was I probably would have made an *** of myself trying to flirt with someone who is a bit of a local celebrity around here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2006,16:33)]British skier Chemmy Alcott is a lovely looking girl too....
Good call, sir! Your photo is blocked by my work's filter; however, these ones aren't...

cool.gif

Chemmy4web.gif

chemmy2.jpg

chemm.jpg

1612%20001CH7%20(web).jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 09 2006,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2006,16:33)]British skier Chemmy Alcott is a lovely looking girl too....
Good call, sir!  Your photo is blocked by my work's filter; however, these ones aren't...

cool.gif
Image number two on your post was the one I used. Lovely girl, lovely
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 09 2006,10:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Feb. 08 2006,16:57)](which quite frankly is just as rad as sport can possibly get!!).

laugh.gif
You should go out drinking with your sister's buddies more often (Googe, Wig, Neil T) - you will hear that word uttered on more than the odd occasion I can assure you!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Feb. 09 2006,12:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 09 2006,10:21)]
[b said:

laugh.gif
You should go out drinking with your sister's buddies more often (Googe, Wig, Neil T) - you will hear that word uttered on more than the odd occasion I can assure you!!
laugh.gif

Good point, dont forget Neil T is my cousin!

A couple more reasons to watch the women's snowboarding... it's:

Lesley McKenna (GBR)

lesleymckenna.jpg

vs. Stine Brun Kjeldaas (NOR) - she's the one in the middle, if you're wondering...

27a1-01_505152g.jpg

Back