• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Word or Excel

Word or Excel - a musing

• Microsoft Word

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft Excel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Davros

The Whippet
Which do you reckon gets more usage across the world on a daily basis... Microsoft Word, or Microsoft Excel??

Was just sitting here, and the musing came to me... i reckon its Excel... but that probably because i use it most the day...

maybe excel ad i would have more businesses use it more than word. rare thread though!
wink.gif

I have plunged to a new nadir by voting in this poll.

I voted for excel btw.

Used all over the City and VBA developers are always in demand.

Got to be Excel. The amount of low-lifes who automatically equate any solution with Excel must be in the billions worldwide. I bet even young Abu-Bakharr in Guinea's first choice solution for getting water from the well would be to model it in Excel.

Not saying that Abu-Bakhar is a low life of course.

I think I've used word for some half-baked documentation since I started but that's got to be about it.

Depends how you're measuring usage*

*Neither I, you or anyone else wants or ever will want to discuss this though!
biggrin.gif

Excel, just because we use it at work all the time.

Word

Especially given the amount of tables I have seen in word docs which would be better as embedded xls files.

Personally its Access, Outloook, Excel and Word in that order

MS Excel ~ I use it every day.

But I am reminded that up until about ten years ago, I was an avid fan of Lotus 1-2-3 and used it often in ballistics analysis. Lotus didn't move with the times though and MS Office (with its Excel) appeared in the office almost overnight; I haven't looked back since (until now) ...

I suppose it depends on how you quantify usage.

Far, far more Word documents will be created daily than excel. I'd also reckon that more time is spent using word, although judging it by time woudl be closer than judging it by number of documents created.

Excel for me.. I even designed our new kitchen by drawing a plan view showing all the cupboards, lights and sink.

Excel.

One thing that annoys me is at job interviews when I ask someone if they're comfortable with MS Office, and which bits in particular, they reply Word! Well f%cking done - you can type!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Jan. 16 2007,17:05)]Excel.

One thing that annoys me is at job interviews when I ask someone if they're comfortable with MS Office, and which bits in particular, they reply Word! Well f%cking done - you can type!!
Office covers a shed load of apps:

Powerpoint
Access
Visio is supported on MS
Project

The list goes on.

I install them every day but am honest enough to admit Word and Excel is just about all I use/can use.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Jan. 16 2007,17:05)]they reply Word! Well f%cking done - you can type!!
That is like saying Excel - well done you can add up.

there are other layers to word than just a straight forward word processor.

anyway i use neither regularly as my job does not dictate that i have to.

For me the main Office components are Outlook and now Powerpoint, to do all those great Presentations to management to agree to buy the kit i want and allow me to work on the projects i need.

At the moment running on my pc is Outlook, Firefox, PuTTY and company chat system.

Lotus did a good job with 1-2-3 but did get stuck as they focused to much on their groupware product Notes, which beats Exchange hands down, however as much as it pains me to say M$ do make the best Office suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint) Access is ok but surely real DBA's would use a SQL offering preferably MySQL.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Jan. 16 2007,17:40)]and company chat system.
Oh yes, love the internal chat system my work has.

Similar to MSN Messenger, but made by Lotus called Sametime. It's a dead cert that all gossip is usually derived from that these days. Especially on a Friday or Monday morning!! Nothing like a bit of office goss to keep you ticking over.

Oh, and excel by the way!

yep, being a former IBM boy, Notes and Sametime were a mainstay of our bant. Outlook generally just frustrates me now.

the best thing about sametime was when some clever sod in IT designed a patch that allowed you to add MSN buddies as well as IBM buddies.

Good times when you're a student with no responsibility!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Jan. 16 2007,17:40)]anyway i use neither regularly as my job does not dictate that i have to.
Funny that, I have to use neither regularly in my job because I dictate!

I don't mind doing my own typing and I can touch type at a decent speed, but its the creating documents in the file management system, formatting documents, printing out documents, printing out labels etc that I can't be bothered to do and which are all more efficient for someone else to do for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Jan. 16 2007,18:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Jan. 16 2007,17:40)]anyway i use neither regularly as my job does not dictate that i have to.
Funny that, I have to use neither regularly in my job because I dictate!

I don't mind doing my own typing and I can touch type at a decent speed, but its the creating documents in the file management system, formatting documents, printing out documents, printing out labels etc that I can't be bothered to do and which are all more efficient for someone else to do for me.
Do you dictate your SZ posts?

oops.gif

Word if its something I want to print, excel if not. For some reason I like to see an easy view of the page layout as i go

Back