• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work On The New Training Ground Has Started Today 11th July 2022

I would imagine even the most negative poster would appreciate that the club could not find £2m to spend on the new training pitches and parking unless the wider project was full steam ahead. Obviously see are the final not temporary training pitches and parking. At what point the adjacent training centre is built is not entirely clear but £2m does sound a lot just for the pitches and car parking so maybe includes at least as much of the final training centre as to replace what is at B&L. Point being the temporary train facility planning application is rendered unnecessary in these circumstances? I am sure someone will have better insight on it than me however..
Well yes, this is what needs answering, as you say its very unclear. £2m to plant some seed in the middle of a field is a tad unlikely. Even with inflation. So what else is part of this phase?

Well yes, this is what needs answering, as you say its very unclear. £2m to plant some seed in the middle of a field is a tad unlikely. So what else is part of this phase?
Yes, although it does sound like the pitches will be top notch with proper foundations and drainage/watering systems incorporated. Again someone may know if £2m is normal, I note however it says initial £2m contract?

Yes, although it does sound like the pitches will be top notch with proper foundations and drainage/watering systems incorporated. Again someone may know if £2m is normal, I note however it says initial £2m contract?
Well I know some 3G pitches can cost up to £1m to build. So perhaps £2m is indeed the cost to get this site fit for several decent grass pitches. It is very sloped over there, so perhaps a lot of it is the cost of leveling the surface correctly.

Well I know some 3G pitches can cost up to £1m to build. So perhaps £2m is indeed the cost to get this site fit for several decent grass pitches. It is very sloped over there, so perhaps a lot of it is the cost of leveling the surface correctly.
It does say it's an "initial" 2mill, maybe they dont get involved with the actual building and just do the pitches?

ok so where are they going to site these domes if not at the new training ground .I thought that why they was brought so many years ago ./???
The domes are meant to be placed almost next to the stadium itself. Just off "supporters way" which is our version of Wembley Way, leading to the stadium from Sutton Road.

ok so where are they going to site these domes if not at the new training ground .I thought that why they was brought so many years ago ./???
No, they're either community things or for the academy. They're not part of the training facility. This is all documented in the planning application.

I also suspect that if the weather is really bad (i.e. heavy snow on the ground) the team will make use of them.

Last edited:
Well yes, this is what needs answering, as you say its very unclear. £2m to plant some seed in the middle of a field is a tad unlikely. Even with inflation. So what else is part of this phase?
Has anyone got an idea of the current state of the land being used? It’s sounds a very steep cost, but I guess it is around 10 acres in total. To meet the required standard there might be quite a bit of excavation or raising of the level.

Guessing the ground would be prepped for when the contractors are chosen for the training facility, speeding things up a bit.

It does say it's an "initial" 2mill, maybe they dont get involved with the actual building and just do the pitches?
Yeah I think they are more groundworkers. So wouldn't imagine they would be involved in building any structures as such. More the pitches themselves, pathways and car park etc.

Still confused as to where the players will base themselves, get changed and do gym work etc, assuming B&L is due to be knocked down on completion of the new pitches?

This is very good news indeed . The fact that a contract has been signed means that someone has been prepared to put in the £2m finance . I doubt whether it is Ron so perhaps Homes England are in fact backing the project in a meaningful way after all . Happy birthday , Cricko .

I'm still confused. Wasn't the application for temporary training facilities withdrawn?

So where are the players meant to get changed, work out, eat etc?.... at B&L and walk down to the new lush pitches from October? That wouldn't make sense as we clearly need to be off that site.

So is a new application going in which will see temporary facilities (changing rooms, gym, kitchen etc) next to the new pitches start to go up alongside?

Will we have nice pitches to do general training on, but have to use a gym etc elsewhere?

So many questions.

I’m guessing the pitches need a head start as the grass takes time to set etc.

Back