• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Working Away

Andy_Shrimp

First XI
I had to go away at short notice the other week. I am self employed and do have to take the work where I can get it.

I had to fly out to Dubai to look at a company and got back Thursday night. It was my choice as it was my weekend with the children. There was no way I was going to miss out.

Anyway, kids now gone back to Mums and I am flying out again tomorrow at 21:40. After my initial view I am being asked to stay out for at least 6 months. That is good and the money is exceptional. I also have a few mates working out there so won't get bored.

The thing is I am not going to stay 6 months solid as I want my time with the children. My employer has told me that they want a full time person and someone that is on hand. I said that with modern day technology I can be available 24/7

I ask you, is the money worth it? I say no (as a Father) as I don't get much time (with the children) and what I do get I cherish. They have told me that my extra flights will be my cost and well I will live with that. Once I know the score I will book all my flights for the duration and hopefully save some cash.

I chose to have children and they are my life, work and nothing will get in the way.

Your thoughts???

As a side note, for those with no holds, if the opportunity comes your way, take it and make the most of it

THanks

Andy

I think you know the answer & you've already made your mind up.

You can make money at anytime in life, if you're lucky. You can't turn the clock back to watch your kids grow up.

That said, if I had kids & they were like me when I was growing up, I'd be off to Dubai tomorrow!!! ;)

Ok, couple of points here - how old are the children, and without being nosey, is the money offered really that good? I'm assuming you're divorced so the commitment to the children is not quite the same as if you weren't - that's not meant to sound derogatory btw. I have to say if the money is really exceptional, then if I was the children's mother I would be urging you to take the position if it is only for 6 months.

There are plenty of families - oil rig, army etc - where the children can easily go this amount of time without seeing their fathers, and all the while knowing they're in a potentially dangerous job. There are also plenty of families where the parents are spearated where the fathers might see them only once in that 6 month period, if at all!

Of course it's good that you want to maintain such a relationship with them, but if the money you can potentially earn in a relatively short period is going to be able to help you all in the long run, I'd say you need to seriously consider it. With Christmas within the 6 month period, I would suggest you try to find out if you could maybe fly back on a slightly extended weekend once a month, with maybe a little longer at Christmas. You should easily be able to stay in touch with them via phone and/or email or even surface mail - think of their excitement at getting a letter from Daddy through the post from Dubai.

I always think opportunities come our way for a reason, and if you turn it down you'll probably regret it eventually, so please explore the possibilities completely first.

Last edited:
Back