• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Athletics Championships

WTF is this doing on Channel 4? Has the Beeb lost this because of cost cutting? The presenter is dreadful, I'm pining for Sue Barker and John Invedale already. I probably wouldn't have watched it but the women's marathon has already taken place and they've given about 2 minutes "highlights", the BBC would haveshown the whole race.

****ing amateurs. I off to Eurosport or some web streaming.

That children's TV presenter they have fronting the coverage is almost as much of a joke as the 'one false start' and out rule. Not to mention the decision to have prelims for the 100m, meaning on a world championship stage you've got races no better than club standard.

I couldn't believe Bolt false started. I think whoever runs athletics these days needs to look at this rule ahead of the Olympics and also for future championships.

Well done Mo Farah on his silver in the 10,000 metres.

I couldn't believe Bolt false started. I think whoever runs athletics these days needs to look at this rule ahead of the Olympics and also for future championships.

Well done Mo Farah on his silver in the 10,000 metres.

Great show by Farah and it shows how far he has come that there is a slight feeling of disappointment about him 'only' getting a silver. Bring on the 5,000m when hopefully I will be able to add him to this quiz

British World Athletics gold medallists

Shame that Dayron Robles got chucked out - always best when races are won fair and square on the track - but well done to Andy Turner for winning bronze in the high hurdles, becoming the fourth GB athlete to win a World Championship medal in the event.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that the C4 presenter is knuckle-chewingly awful, then. F*** me, how do clowns like him get employed? He manages to sound bored and smug with the events at the same time, which is quite a feat. It almost has me pining for Sally Gunnell's high-quality broadcasting, that's how bad it is.

The "no false starts" rule is also sh*t. That 100m final was possibly the most anti-climactic race I've ever seen.

That's the last time I have any bet on athletics. Had only a fiver on Robles so not too big an issue, but came back home from work tonight with money disappeared from my account as it had been resettled as lost.

What grates with me is a disqualification is a loser, not a non-runner and therefore void. That just gives the bookies free money from a disqualification. I understand that it will completely disrupt their margins by making it a non-runner but it's still a bit sh*t.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that the C4 presenter is knuckle-chewingly awful, then. F*** me, how do clowns like him get employed? He manages to sound bored and smug with the events at the same time, which is quite a feat. It almost has me pining for Sally Gunnell's high-quality broadcasting, that's how bad it is.

The "no false starts" rule is also sh*t. That 100m final was possibly the most anti-climactic race I've ever seen.

It was certainly nowhere near as good as the one between our physio and the Southampton physio in the 2010 away game....:winking:

Giles Smith in The Times gives his verdict on the C4 coverage

"Dodgy days in Daegu for Channel 4, which would normally have been bringing us Big Brother at this time of year, but which signalled a significant assault on the broadcasting high ground by dumping that format on Five and snaffling the athletics World Championships from the BBC instead.

Which means that Colin Jackson and Steve Cram can only spend this week sitting at home with their mouths open in shock. Ditto the rest of us. Only Michael Johnson has been spared. Our hosts: Ortis Deley and Rick Edwards. Ortis who? Rick what? Desmond Lynam will be spinning in his golf club. Then again, let’s not overlook a pair of CVs that boast appearances at the helm of The Gadget Show, spells with Channel 4 staples such as T4 and Freshly Squeezed, and one glorious night as a contestant on Blind Date (Deley). Your Hazel Irvines and your Clare Baldings can’t really hold a candle to that.

Anyway, background would be irrelevant if it were all going smoothly. The trouble is, it’s not going smoothly. Deley chiefly wears an expression that brings to mind furry creatures and headlamps. Edwards, meanwhile, seems to be locked into a permanent struggle, not just for the right tone, but for words of any kind. “Well, well, well,” he said, after Usain Bolt’s false start. And then, again: “Well, well, well.”

Around them, botch follows botch: athletes get misidentified, Slovenia shot putters are mysteriously transferred to Italy, line-ups for the men’s 110 metres hurdles are inexplicably superimposed over the start of the women’s 100 metres, floundering commentaries on 100 metres races manage to mention only one of the runners by name. And, hovering permanently in the background, is the sense that a commercial break could strike at any time without anyone being entirely ready for it.

For instance, Lord Coe was in the studio yesterday, discussing Bolt’s world-shaking decision to go not on the “b” of bang, but on the “d” of disqualified. No reason to change the regulations, Coe insisted. If it had been anyone else, we probably wouldn’t be talking about it and you can’t expect sports to bend their rules every time a big star messes up. Then again, Johnson said, if . . . but at that point we had to “go outside”, according to Deley (cut to a commercial break, in fact), so we never found out what Johnson thought.

It doesn’t help that the team have yet to work out the time difference between South Korea and the UK. “Good evening,” Deley said yesterday at 10am, BST. “If you’re enjoying your afternoon off work and want to have some athletics banter . . .” began Rob Walker, the commentator, trailing a Twitter feed. It was just before 11am where we were. A small detail, but it only adds to the feeling of disconnection.

And then there’s Dean Macey, loud of voice and shirt. As Jessica Ennis narrowly failed her first attempt at 1.89m in the high jump, Macey assured us: “She’s got that. Don’t worry about it. I’m telling you now.”

Has Dean never heard of Murray Walker and the priceless warnings his career served about stepping over the line between sports commentary and astrology? Ennis duly failed her next two attempts and had only Macey to blame.

But awkward conjunctions abound. “I think she’ll be quite proud of herself there,” Katharine Merry said as Jeanette Kwakye finished sixth in the semi-finals of the women’s 100 metres. At which point we went down to the track, where a distraught Kwakye crisply decried her performance as “shocking” and “really, really upsetting”, adding, as the tears began to brim, “I’m not happy”. None of us is, Jeanette. Still, it’s early doors for Channel 4. Maybe it can turn it around. What’s Johnson — the one still voice of reason — always saying? Focus, focus, focus."

poor old james shane messed up a bit, heat got to him and had nothing left in the final 200 metres.

C4's production and presentation is so awful it really is difficult to watch for any length for time.

Though that being said, Ennis has been looking damn fine and makes her events watchable....

C4's production and presentation is so awful it really is difficult to watch for any length for time.

Further to this, one of the Channel 4 team interviewed Ennis's coach Toni Minichello this morning. Only he twice referred to him as 'Toni Limoncello'.

Shame that Ennis has messed up her chance of gold and also disappointing that Perri Shakes-Drayton missed out on the 400m hurdles final by just 0.01 seconds.

Here's hoping Dai Greene gives us cheer shortly.

Further to this, one of the Channel 4 team interviewed Ennis's coach Toni Minichello this morning. Only he twice referred to him as 'Toni Limoncello'.

Shame that Ennis has messed up her chance of gold and also disappointing that Perri Shakes-Drayton missed out on the 400m hurdles final by just 0.01 seconds.

Here's hoping Dai Greene gives us cheer shortly.

The whole thing from C4 is just awful. I was watching the 400m semi yesterday with Oscar Pistorius as the came round the final bend the commentator said Pistorius is gaining and could challenge, anyone watching could see he was going backwards and finished last.

Please get these championships back on the Beeb.

Shame about Ennis; nine seconds was always going to be far too much. That was actually a better score than the one she got when winning in Berlin two years ago but Chernova put in a fantastic two days to go 9th in the all-time list.

There is going to be one hell of a battle for gold in London next year.

Back