• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World's Mightiest Particle Accelerator

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Anyone else find it a bit strange that it is now over a year since the first beam of Protons were shot around the Large Hadron Collider at the CERN laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland and it all seems to have gone quiet.

Maybe i have not kept up to date with the news or just missed the updates but what is/has happened.

Are all the Scientist at the CERN laboratory living in a new dimension, desperately trying to get back to ours!!

Answers on a post card please.

It broke down, and the parts they require take some time and a considerable amount of money to acquire and fit. I thought it would restart in the new year...

It broke down, and the parts they require take some time and a considerable amount of money to acquire and fit. I thought it would restart in the new year...
Maybe an amazing phenomenon was found and the "its broken and will take ages to fix" line is to buy them time until they decide how to deal with what they have found!!

Perhaps that's what caused the FastForward thing yesterday or am I confusing reality and fantasy again? I did envisage we were in the FA Cup final vs Aldershot.....

Perhaps that's what caused the FastForward thing yesterday or am I confusing reality and fantasy again? I did envisage we were in the FA Cup final vs Aldershot.....

You might be on to something mate...........It has all the hallmarks of an experiment that has been covered up!!

dan dan daaaaaan

novemeber start they reckon but it could be ages away they sort of overlooked a massive design flaw when they built the thing, the legs used to hold the main tube thing up were no strong enough to hold the weight of the tube :P

novemeber start they reckon but it could be ages away they sort of overlooked a massive design flaw when they built the thing, the legs used to hold the main tube thing up were no strong enough to hold the weight of the tube :P

You see, it's that kind of forward-planning that fills me with confidence about the whole venture. I haven't the faintest idea what they're doing with those particles and I probably still wouldn't get it if the Head of Cern explained it to me with pictures and bullet-points, but if they can't figure out how to put a tube on legs, I really think they should slow down a bit.

You see, it's that kind of forward-planning that fills me with confidence about the whole venture. I haven't the faintest idea what they're doing with those particles and I probably still wouldn't get it if the Head of Cern explained it to me with pictures and bullet-points, but if they can't figure out how to put a tube on legs, I really think they should slow down a bit.

Trying to recreate the big bang I believe! And learning something about particle acceleration in doing so. :unsure:

Aren't they looking for evidence of the Higgs-Boson particle, the so-called "God" particle?

Aren't they looking for evidence of the Higgs-Boson particle, the so-called "God" particle?

That's the plan, but they're expecting to make other discoveries along the way... Reckon it'll lead to a huge leap in scientific discoveries.

Maybe an amazing phenomenon was found and the "its broken and will take ages to fix" line is to buy them time until they decide how to deal with what they have found!!

No chance - it'll take months/years to analyse all the data when it does finally run properly.

It wasn't given a test run so they didn't know if it would work or not. Something didn't. Unfortunately, given the extremely low temperature that the thing is cooled to it took 3 to 4 months just to bring it back to normal temperature as simply switching off the cooling and subsequent rapid heating would have broken it beyond repair.

Repair is going as expected - at least so says an old school friend who is waiting for some of said data to analyse.

In a similar vein has anyone read Simons Singh's account of how Fermats last theorem was solved?

x^n+y^n=z^n for n>2

I know this happened a while ago but total props to Andrew Wiles, the mans a living legend. As a maths graduate this has totally rekindled my affair with abstract algebra.

If anyone wants a quality hour of TV there's a fantastic 'Horizon' on youtube that explains why Fermat is so important and the process Wiles went through to give proof of this equation.

Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
In a similar vein has anyone read Simons Singh's account of how Fermats last theorem was solved?

x^n+y^n=z^n for n>2

I know this happened a while ago but total props to Andrew Wiles, the mans a living legend. As a maths graduate this has totally rekindled my affair with abstract algebra.

If anyone wants a quality hour of TV there's a fantastic 'Horizon' on youtube that explains why Fermat is so important and the process Wiles went through to give proof of this equation.

Amazing stuff.

oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Well in the book the show's based off the whole thing was actually caused by the LHC/Whatever-the-hell-this-thing's-called. And the book was set in 2009. So, err... yeah... if you find yourself unexpectedly passing out at some point in the next few months, look at CERN.

Well in the book the show's based off the whole thing was actually caused by the LHC/Whatever-the-hell-this-thing's-called. And the book was set in 2009. So, err... yeah... if you find yourself unexpectedly passing out at some point in the next few months, look at CERN.

Nice one! And I thought it was the excess of alcohol!

Back