• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Following on from the Sunderland in the fog game, what other matches have continued in farcical conditions?

I remember JCR on a waterlogged pitch against (or had he already moved there?) Barnsley in the FA Cup. Someone had a shot and the ball didn't even reach the 6 yard box.

Also away at Hull. Rob Newman was more or less in the centre-circle when he went in for a slide tackle on Mark Hateley on the touchline. Hateley didn't fancy it much after that and only touched the ball another two times, one of which was to take a throw in!

Simon Livett had to chip the ball up in the air to volley in a cross it was so waterlogged.

That's Weston's regular shot

Remember those games very well,Liverpool & Aldershot (69?).Was also at Slovakia v England,2002,sure the game would have been called off,if it was not for about 10,000 England fans(so they say) in the city

The freezing cold day at Spurs was the League Cup Quarter Final I think. Horrid conditions. The FA Cup match was a few weeks later when it was slightly less artic.

God that League Cup QF was cold. A Spurs mate texted me with ten minutes left saying he would happily see us win rather than sit through 30 minutes of extra time!

Another shout here for the Show In The Snow v Shrewsbury. Funny how keen the Shrews management were for the game to be abandoned once Freddy scored!

Wasn't last season's Millwall FA Cup game looking a bit precarious at times? Absolutely pelted down that day.

Last edited:
I remember this match, how it was played I will never know.....a 1-1 draw if I remember correctly. I was one of the 13 wally's who stood on the open terrace whilst the 200 other Blues fans sit in the stand. Oh to be that young and stupid again :winking:. Spent the entire journey home in my boxers on the coach :blush:

Cyril sneer will remember this day!!!

I do mate, Ive just uploaded the Sunderland game on the 5 live thread, ill try and dig out the Hull game

Watford home 1992. It was so foggy. I was in the west stand but you couldn't see the goal at the south bank.we were ripped apart by Watford but somehow won 1-0 thanks to Keith Dublin. He wasn't playing for us then but he gave away a pointless corner the headed on the corner for I think Angell to score.
We somehow held on for a 1-0 win. We all kept looking at the ref waiting for him to abandon the game.

Remember a game against Aldershot in thick snow with lines cleared ,think it was a fa cup game which ended 2-2 late 60s?
That game was1969 and the gate of 2887 was the lowest for years , there was three people on the South Bank one of which was a boy who I went to school with named Derrick Brittian . We drew 2-2 with Aldershot , I remember that Billy Best had a goal bound shot blocked by Peter Hunt his own team mate , and for the rest of the game Hunt had a big red mark on the back of his leg , also the only Southend player to wear gloves was goalkeeper Trevor Roberts , f --k me that was cold that day .

Rain soaked game v Hull mentioned above. Apologies for the quality of the 15 year old VHS tape
[video=youtube_share;3NQ-1etQ0tE]http://youtu.be/3NQ-1etQ0tE[/video]

Watford home 1992. It was so foggy. I was in the west stand but you couldn't see the goal at the south bank.we were ripped apart by Watford but somehow won 1-0 thanks to Keith Dublin. He wasn't playing for us then but he gave away a pointless corner the headed on the corner for I think Angell to score.
We somehow held on for a 1-0 win. We all kept looking at the ref waiting for him to abandon the game.

Dublin scored an oggy for us which was a winner in the away match that season too! These two combined were probably more constructive than any of his contributions when he actually played for us!

The coldest i have ever been was at Milton Keynes Dons at i think it was at
the Old Hockey Stadium, the year before they moved to there new ground
It was a open end and the freezing wind was blowing bloody bloody cold.
Think it was 2006.

The coldest i have ever been was at Milton Keynes Dons at i think it was at
the Old Hockey Stadium, the year before they moved to there new ground
It was a open end and the freezing wind was blowing bloody bloody cold.
Think it was 2006.

Yer, and it was in March as well. Hardly the height of winter.

Another vote for the Liverpool game. Also, the Tottenham game was horrendously cold made worse by the fact that I managed to go over on my ankle and had to endure the game both freezing and in agony.

Torquay at home in snow/ice - Leo Roget days. IIRC it was the only game played in the country that day, my mate was over from Oz and thought it 'awesome that your guys are out playing on that in their tights!'

Portsmouth at home on New Years Day this year could easily have been called off due to the high wind...I literally could not cross Victoria Avenue at one point before the game due to the wind blowing me back!
One of those games where being 1-0 down at half time was a great result! The fact Lenny equalised with the last kick off the first half made it even better.

Away at the Withdean about 15 yrs ago, pitch was 70% sand, 20% mud and 10% water.

And we stuffed 'em

Back