• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Cover Track

Ron Manager

OK, we've had the best cover - what about the worst (plenty to choose from)

I'll start off with Sixpence None The Richer murdering 'There She Goes'

Lemonescent - 'All right Now'
Boyzone - 'Ive been working my way back to you'. The video is very dodgy!
Britney Spears - 'I love rock and roll'
Darkness - ' Street Spirit'
biggrin.gif

So many to choose from, but recently Scissor Sisters murdered... I mean covered... Comfortably Numb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 06 2004,09:46)]So many to choose from, but recently Scissor Sisters murdered... I mean covered... Comfortably Numb.
Yep, just heard that recently. They should be shot ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,10:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 06 2004,09:46)]So many to choose from, but recently Scissor Sisters murdered... I mean covered... Comfortably Numb.
Yep, just heard that recently. They should be shot ...

WS
Yeah, they really mad a pigs ear of that track.No respect

Mind you, their other stuff is good

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 05 2004,14:03)]OK, we've had the best cover - what about the worst (plenty to choose from)

Agreed, Ron... a horrible, horrible, horrible rendition.

Amy Grant's cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" was pretty poor, and Counting Crows' rendition little better (how can a band who has done "Mister Jones" be capable of such schmalz?!).

Big Brovaz "Favourite Things" was, technically, a cover... and a dreadful one at that.

The Corrs' cover of "Dreams" always annoyed me... it seemed totally to lose the haunting quality of Fleetwood Mac's original.

"It's Raining Men" by that dreadful Halliwell woman. Awful... that Ginger bird ain't got no soul.

Rod Stewart's cover of "Ruby Tuesday" was a low point for the Scottish crooner.

That's enough... Urgh, it's all too depressing for a Monday morning...

sad.gif

Matt

Anything covered by Phil Collins.

In fact, if Phil Collins came down my local it wouldn't be 'No jacket required'.

It would be '3 police cars and an ambulance required...'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 07 2004,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 05 2004,14:03)]OK, we've had the best cover - what about the worst (plenty to choose from)

Agreed, Ron... a horrible, horrible, horrible rendition.

Amy Grant's cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" was pretty poor, and Counting Crows' rendition little better (how can a band who has done "Mister Jones" be capable of such schmalz?!).

Big Brovaz "Favourite Things" was, technically, a cover... and a dreadful one at that.

The Corrs' cover of "Dreams" always annoyed me... it seemed totally to lose the haunting quality of Fleetwood Mac's original.

"It's Raining Men" by that dreadful Halliwell woman.  Awful... that Ginger bird ain't got no soul.

Rod Stewart's cover of "Ruby Tuesday" was a low point for the Scottish crooner.

That's enough... Urgh, it's all too depressing for a Monday morning...

sad.gif

Matt
Matt

Did you purchase the Joss Stone album as discussed on a thread last week? Keeping on topic, no poor covers on there - all top quality cover versions.

RM

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 07 2004,11:03)]Matt

Did you purchase the Joss Stone album as discussed on a thread last week? Keeping on topic, no poor covers on there - all top quality cover versions.

RM
Not yet, mate... I was at a wedding last weekend. However, may well do so this weekend!

biggrin.gif

Under The Bridge - All Saints
The Tide Is High - Atomic Kitten

Well done girls, you really murdered those two tracks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 07 2004,11:15)]Under The Bridge - All Saints
The Tide Is High - Atomic Kitten

Well done girls, you really murdered those two tracks.
I actually thought that the All Saints version of 'Under The Bridge' was OK. They changed the style of the song completely and got away with it IMO.

But then I've always thought that All Saints made good pop songs and shouldn't be lumped together with the likes of Atomic Kitten etc. Never Ever is probably one of my favourite pop singles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 07 2004,11:21)]I actually thought that the All Saints version of 'Under The Bridge' was OK. They changed the style of the song completely and got away with it IMO.

But then I've always thought that All Saints made good pop songs and shouldn't be lumped together with the likes of Atomic Kitten etc. Never Ever is probably one of my favourite pop singles.
Never Ever was an excellent pop song, but I really couldn't be having their version of Under The Bridge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 07 2004,11:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 07 2004,11:21)]I actually thought that the All Saints version of 'Under The Bridge' was OK. They changed the style of the song completely and got away with it IMO.

Never Ever was an excellent pop song, but I really couldn't be having their version of Under The Bridge.
Fair enough, I think maybe the reason I didn't mind it was because I was never a huge Red Hot Chilli Peppers fan. The people who really seemed to hate the All Saints version were Chillis fans - although I'm sure I read somewhere that the band themselves actually gave the version their approval.

I had the misfortune of hearing Blazin' Squad covering (or at least nicking the chorus from..) Children of the Revolution by T Rex yesterday afternoon on that god awful channel 4 festival thing  
sad.gif

B*stards

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Custard Splat @ June 07 2004,12:31)]I had the misfortune of hearing Blazin' Squad covering (or at least nicking the chorus from..) Children of the Revolution by T Rex yesterday afternoon on that god awful channel 4 festival thing  
sad.gif

B*stards
The Baby Ford version was much better!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Custard Splat @ June 07 2004,12:31)]I had the misfortune of hearing Blazin' Squad covering (or at least nicking the chorus from..) Children of the Revolution by T Rex yesterday afternoon on that god awful channel 4 festival thing  
sad.gif

B*stards
The sooner someone kills those little gobsh*tes the better.

Back