• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst performance you have seen and why

jassyfa1

Manager
For me its Derby vs Southend in the league cup around 1992-1993. 0-0 at Roots Hall then a 7-0 thrashing at Derby.
Started the day by being at work for 5am, and finishing at 1pm, then picked up my two mates in my new car (XR2) before heading off to Derby. arrived at Derby around 5ish and was offered out for a fight around 5 past 5 by the 1st of many Derby supporters we encountered that night.
The game was just dire, the players had no idea what they were doing and instead of cheering their team, the Derby supporters just threatened to attack the Southend supporters at every opportunity.
On the way home tiredness crept in and I actually dozed off (not a good idea if you are driving), but luckely no accidents occured. To stop myself from falling asleep again the radio went on as did the battery light on my dashboard (turned out to be a dodgy alternator which packed up the next day).
Overall a crap day out a near death experience and an expensive car repair.

I reluctantly recall a 0-3 home defeat by Wrexham. It was awful for the whole 90 minutes.

This is difficult, two that spring to mind (and this may be because of our last match)

Donny away a couple of years back (at their old stadium). It was the first away day of the season and we were bloody awful, lost 2-0.

Donny at home a couple of years ago, lost 2-0, having been 2 down after 4 minutes.

Other than the Donny 5-1, Palace 8-0 was awful, as was losing 2-0 at home against a very poor Swansea side who were struggling to stay in the FL, a few seasons ago. If Swansea hadn't of won that, they may have gone down.

The worst thing about the game was the standard of the football. Neither team could string two passes together & at goal kicks there were twenty players in an area of 20 yards by 10 yards on the halfway line. It was like watching 8 year old kids playing football. All 20 players chasing after the ball regardless of where it was. There was no shape or idea from anybody!

It was one of the few times I've ever left a game early!

I reluctantly recall a 0-3 home defeat by Wrexham. It was awful for the whole 90 minutes.

Was that the last game of 97/98 season after we had already been relegated?
A shockingly bad game & if this is the one you mean I agree with you 100%.

I'd say one of my worst has got to be the 0-5 away at Oxford early in 96/97 season, totally showed how out of his depth Whelan really was.

This comes up a few times every year & I have still not changed my mind. For me it was the away game at Oxford in 1996 it was only the 2nd game of the season and we lost 5-0. We were woeful and even I was shouting abuse at the players most of whom did not care, thats about the only time I can remember the whole away end probably 500 of us giving the team so much stick. Just seen GS has that as his worst game as well.

It was so obvious that we were going to be relegated even after 2 games. The only strange thing about that season is that we managed to thump Bolton 5-2 only a few games later (who only lost 4 games all season & won the league 24 points ahead of Barnsley). Normality soon resumed with a 6-1 defeat at Crystal Palace and quite a few more 4-0 defeats during the season. We managed to scrape a few wins but still came bottom.

The defeats at Derby 7-0, Sunderland 7-0, Crystal Palace 8-0, Gillingham 8-1, Notts County 6-2, Aldershot 6-2 and even the Hull 4-0 two seasons ago were not very good either!!

Gillingam away when we lost 8-1. It was absolutely awful. Even their P.A. announcer laughed at us at the end!!!

4-0 away at QPR during the Whelan custard splat era.

Andy Rammell missed a couple of 1on1's early on and then we didnt even get a sniff.

To cop it all off Peter Dursun (remember him) made his debut and Andy Harris scored an own goal.

For me it has to be Carlisle away 5-0 in about 97-98?

Long trip on the train and ****ed down with snow we were woeful and had it not been for Big Neville in goal we would have been looking at 10 nil +.

I was more embaressed for him as a former european player of the year and at one stage best keeper in the world was woefully exposed by a pub side defense (being generous).

In short terrible day out and i do mean day!!!

4-0 away at QPR during the Whelan custard splat era.

Andy Rammell missed a couple of 1on1's early on and then we didnt even get a sniff.

To cop it all off Peter Dursun (remember him) made his debut and Andy Harris scored an own goal.

That performance wasn't helped though by some abject refereeing and that odious Scottish dwarf John Spencer cheating his way to 2 goals!

Many awful displays but the worst all round bad day (as Jassyfa1's was) was the 4-0 at Sunderland in the CCC.

Got up at 04:30, on the road for 05:00, but no Lucky Derek, I should have taken the hint. Got 15 miles down the road and nearly slid off at a corner - suspected a soft tyre, but it turned out that a pipe had blown off the fuel pump and half a tank of diesel, around £40, was over the road. Got that fixed, and had an uneventful run to the SoL.

The game need not be described, but we were simply taken apart and never, ever, once looked like scoring. Had with forsight put a tenner on Sunderland, but when I went to claim my winnings the toad in the bookies had shut up shop, so it was a fortnight before I could get paid out in Inverness.

On the way home, two in the morning, and only 30 miles from home I hit a deer and did £1500 pounds worth of damage to the car. And my final stupidity - I left the bloody thing there, when half the village would have happily taken it.

:'(

Boxing Day v MK Dons was the most awfull performance I ever saw from a Tilly team it was a 0-0 draw MK should have won 8-0 they had so many chances to win it missing a pen in the first 4 mins. In fact the Brizzle Rovers game this year was not far off, but considering we actually had chances to score as we did in the Col Ewe defeats the MK Dons game was the only time I've never seen us have an attempt on goal -- Completely dire performance and also a word of note MK Dons are another bogey team for us and looking at the way they played last season I've a feeling we'll loose 6 points there!

Loads of crap performances over the years but one that really stands out for me is the away to Hull last season.
As i said at the time,i don't think any of our boys actually had a shot that day,on or off target.
To just sit there all game and watch Dean Windyass rip us to bits made it all the more painful.

Have only supported Blues for 12 of my 19 years, and whilst I've some dross, there have been 3 or 4 that stuck out in the memory as SHOCKING performances.

2 come to mind last year. 1-3 at home to Luton, relegated us, didn't turn up or look like we wanted to stay up. Overrun by a very poor team. Even worse was 0-4 up at Hull, which bemused me as it followed so shortly after we mauled QPR 5-0. Came right back down to earth having thought we were in with a fighting chance of staying up aftet the QPR game. That Hull match is the only Southend display to have been bad enough to make me CRY. No passion, guts or desire.

Whilst I can see why people have said the 0-4 vs. Sunderland, I don't consider that one of the worst. I went up there expecting to lose, and Sunderland were a very good team, on an excellent run of form who eventually went up and stayed up. I didn't feel NEARLY as awful as I did when we lost to two teams, Hull and Luton, who I expected us to be able to beat.

Back