• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
I ask this question ,as i see the same scenario as last season.Dont get me wrong ,I love SUFC and believe they are big enough and should be playing 2 divisions higher than they are, they proved that a few seasons back when they played in championship, filling the stadium at almost every home game.But due to their current situation, wouldnt it be better for them at the present to maintain a high position in league 2 ,plus some decent cup runs,and god willing a Wembley appearance,to get their finances in order and wait until you all see Fossets Farm actually being built with a finishing date, and then to really press for promotion , so that when they finally do have a new stadium they and all of you can open it in a higher division, knowing that the Club has a solid foundation in which to press for another promotion to Championship ,which is where they should be playing .At present a higher division means higher wages and not to undermine the players they have now but many new players and they wont come cheap either.CAN SOUTHEND REALLY AFFORD AT PRESENT TO GET PROMOTED!!!:unsure::sad::'(

Well if we wait for promotion until we get to FF then we will have a very long wait

yes to your question and there is a leage between us and the championship and in that time you get so much more money which would pay for those new players which unfortunately we did not utilise the last time we were in the championship.

The difference in income means promotion is pretty much essential to this club and the sooner the better. Simple.

Personally id rather us tread water in league one while getting finances in order as gates are higher etc, but i have a feeling we will fall short this year as we have too many passengers in the squad and too much pressure on certain players to perform to the max week after week with little pressure on them from the bench.

The only place we have strength in depth is up top with players to return from injury.

I think our only option is to push for promotion. We're unbeaten in four against League 1 opposition in cup games this year and judging by our performance against Brentford last week, I do think we could hold our own in that league. There are a few positions that need strengthening but PS is capable of that.

The financial reward of being in League 1 is much higher than what we're dealing with at the moment, and attendances would definitely increase. If we stay down, I think we might struggle financially to compete for promotion again next year. 100% yes for me.

We lose more money in League Two than League One.

There is no benefit in being in this league.

In response to the thread - plain and simply YES

The financial rewards are better, there are many Southern and bigger clubs which will mean higher away followings and more interest locally. TV selection is more likely and of course you can attract a better calibre of player.

League One would be a great platform for our club to stabilise itself until we are ready to push for the Championship at FF (hopefully)

I don't see the benefit of staying in a lower league I'm pretty sure you make more money in a higher league with bigger attendances and more chance of tv selection

Give me Fleetwood, Morecombe and Barnet any day rather than Sheff Utd, Coventry and Preston - yeah lets hope we stay down here.

What a ridiculous statement! Fleetwood, Morecombe and Barnet? You have obviously never been to Nuneaton, Lincoln or Tamworth! :winking:

I would say its a must we go up this season .Not just because of the extra revenueit would bring in through the gate more players would be more intrested in signing for a leauge one club you would have thought . Plus the added spice of the clubs that come from the championship . The likes of coventry and such likes .

yes we must go up div 1 has bigger clubs plus col u and orient will provide big gates as well, if we do go up i just hope we can leave the pasengers with div 2 clubs

yes we must go up div 1 has bigger clubs plus col u and orient will provide big gates as well, if we do go up i just hope we can leave the pasengers with div 2 clubs

If we want to play Col U then we might as well stay in League Two.:smile:

That's a really good question and I don't know the answer, but I was told that IF we had got promoted last year, the bonuses and increased wages that were written in to the player's contracts would have been crippling.

Let's hope that we do get promoted but that the player's Contracts that signed this season contain bonuses that are affordable.

Back