• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you be happy with Chris Powell?

• Yes, wiggle wiggle

Votes: 233 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 19 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes
Has won the division we play in.
Finished 9th in championship
Has managed plenty at a higher level.
Has coached at various big clubs too.
Recently been a scout for spurs....
Obvious contacts throughout the game.
PFA representative
England caps...played at the highest level
Simply my nailed on personal favourite player of all time.

NO
It would break my heart to see him fail here...literally.

Incorrect use of literally. I hope.

Great news

I am old enough to have had the privilege of watching Chris Powell play, he is one of a shortish list of all time favourite players. That aside PB should have gone at the end of last season when the rot set in and was obvious to most of us that he had lost the full support and backing all round. I would like to thank him for his efforts and getting us out of that awful second division but he was taking us back there and something had to change. CP will give everyone a kick up the backside and the lift we need to stay in league 1 which is the most important thing right now. I for one will return to RH and be giving my full support. Thanks PB but we are overdue a change and I think this will give us and the players the lift they so desperately need.

Would be an excellent appointment.

Is Powell as manager, Tilson as assistant, Barrett as first team development coach and Maher as under-23 manager too much to ask for?!

Definitely happy if Powell was to take over , a true Shrimper legend, he has always said about his affection for Southend. Cant see him saying every future vacancy that comes up being his dream job, which I think didn't exactly endear PB with our supporters and probably didn't do much for the players neither.
How comes we can't see who voted on this poll?

Last edited:
Can I be the first to launch a constant wave of vindictiveness against Powell and predict he will destroy the club and cause a rift in the fabric of time? As all manager' fail eventually it will give me a lot of fun and enable me to jizz my pants when he gets fired.

If it isn' t him just insert whatever name fills the slot.

No because when he fails (and he will at some stage) it will slightly tarnish his marvellous SUFC record though three sides wiggling to his arrival would be a sight I’d like recorded!

That's also my concern. Although I didn't vote no (I voted bart).

But it's amazing how ShrimperMoan voters work, he has a similar early popular rating on here as Brown did around early December, and he hasn't even pulled into the car park yet for his 1st induction day at work. :unsure:

Lets just hope he lasts longer than a month on the back of those indications.

Every one wanting Barrett in :zzzzz:- 1 he aint proven 2 is he even gonna wanna leave Millwall and 3 JUST BECAUSE HE IS SOUTHEND THROUGH AND THROUGH DONT MEAN HE WILL BE A GOOD APPOINTMENT. People need to move on and let whoever is the new manager choose his best backroom team and get on with it. Powell will be great but we dont need a whole back room team of ex-players! Even Tilson yeah he was great back in the day as manager however football has moved on and he has been out of the professional mens game for a long time now.

Definitely happy if Powell was to take over a true Shrimper legend, he has always said about his affection for Southend. Cant see him saying every future vacancy that comes up being his dream job, which I think didn't exactly endear PB with our supporters and probably didn't do much for the players neither.
How comes we can't see who voted on this poll?

Which one?

January 13th - Jeez, we've got to get rid of PB now. Anyone is better than him!
January 17th - I don't think this bloke is the right bloke to take over!

Yeah my other half is a Charlton fan, she works away so hasn’t gone much recently but her best mate is a season ticket holder and is fond of Powell. As are several Charlton fans on Twitter.

I had my doubts but after reading that I'm now fully reassured.

Not today, guys. :Red card:

There's way too many other things to natter about.

Sir Chris Powell is one of my all time favourites. A great player but moreso a great person. I wrote a letter to him thanking him when he went to Derby and he replied with a hand written card which I did not expect. What a guy.
Obviously I wish him well but he is still in the same boat as all the other managers. Try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Best of luck Chris.
The King is dead, long live the King.

Sir Chris Powell is one of my all time favourites. A great player but moreso a great person. I wrote a letter to him thanking him when he went to Derby and he replied with a hand written card which I did not expect. What a guy.
Obviously I wish him well but he is still in the same boat as all the other managers. Try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Best of luck Chris.

Nice post, that one. :thumbsup:

When he returned to Southend with his new Derby team he also handed his old home shirt to someone in the crowd who he had been corresponding with for some time. Even people within football say he's one of the nice guys.

Asked a Charlton mate for his thoughts:

"He won us league 1 by 100 points, he’s a Charlton legend, man of integrity and all round nice guy. I’m jealous. Got sacked because he wouldn’t take instructions from the owner about what formation to play lol."

If he can win a division by 100 points then he really is a miracle worker. Get him in.

Back