• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you give Waddock the job

Would you give Waddock the job?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
Simple question, based on yesterdays performance, would you give Waddock the job?
My thoughts are that he has more about him than Bond. Yes, the defending was shocking but that may be a confidence thing based on Bonds reign and will improve with a settled starting 11.

Waddock changed the style of play, the tactics and the formation yesterday and the players looked more comfortable on the ball.

He reacted to Fleetwood's tactic change and it came off. He made decent substitutions too. He also showed passion and animation on the touchline as well as giving instruction to players whenever he could.

Don't vote because you want Barrett or because of his previous employment etc, vote based on what you saw yesterday only

Quite frankly it’s much too early for threads like this. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and whilst yesterday was an improvement in attacking areas the team still look incredibly frail defensively.

I doubt we’ll make an appointment this week so Waddock’s probably got at least the next 2 games to stake a claim. If he wins both of those then he’ll have certainly thrown his hat in the ring.

But we do need to remember that after the short term goal of survival we need to be appointing a manager who can take us to the next level which realistically would probably be a season of mid table obscurity next year before a playoff push the following season.

Tuesday is vital for the management situation too. If we get anywhere near having diggers in the ground at Fossetts then the calibre of manager we could attract would increase massively. Without it we might be stuck with Waddock.

Let’s wait and see I guess.

Quite frankly it’s much too early for threads like this. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and whilst yesterday was an improvement in attacking areas the team still look incredibly frail defensively.

I doubt we’ll make an appointment this week so Waddock’s probably got at least the next 2 games to stake a claim. If he wins both of those then he’ll have certainly thrown his hat in the ring.

But we do need to remember that after the short term goal of survival we need to be appointing a manager who can take us to the next level which realistically would probably be a season of mid table obscurity next year before a playoff push the following season.

Tuesday is vital for the management situation too. If we get anywhere near having diggers in the ground at Fossetts then the calibre of manager we could attract would increase massively. Without it we might be stuck with Waddock.

Let’s wait and see I guess.

All valid points. Was just after a gut feel really.

Waddock seems like a decent and genuine guy, but considering his managerial record I think we should look elsewhere, this next managerial appointment is so crucial to the club.

Waddock seems like a decent and genuine guy, but considering his managerial record I think we should look elsewhere, this next managerial appointment is so crucial to the club.

I agree on his managerial record but apart from the very best, all managers have failed elsewhere. It just takes that manager to get the right job at the right time to flourish

Yeah I just feel like Ron’s been burnt before by giving it to someone because of a bit of short term success. We’ll never know whether Chris Powell would have kept us up but as I’ve said before I don’t think Kevin Bond did anything special last season apart from being a different voice in the changing room.

Anyone who was at Rochdale away would have had serious reservations about him getting the job permanently. But there was obviously a bit of clamour for him to get the permanent job after the euphoria of the Sunderland match.

But look where that’s got us. I don’t think and also hope Ron doesn’t make the same mistake twice.

Appointing someone permanently because you detect a slight upturn in performances after removing the previous manager - there's no way that could go wrong.

Don’t underestimate the power of man motivation. Look at Norwich yesterday... if Waddock can get this lot running through walls for him we can escape

Early days yet but improvement yesterday although defence still needs loads of work.But i think the right manager can certainly get us to finish above 3 teams in this league.Time will tell if its Waddock

Clear out and start afresh.

Yesterday was miles better. If you heard Humphry's interview on BBC Essex, you would have heard his thinly disguised dislike of Bond and his methods. On that basis, Dick Bate might have a better effect!!

Ron said the next appointment is crucial for me if Waddock can a few wins then yes he must be considered but if he gets the job and things go wrong then we are back to square one but that might happen whoever we get

No, not based on that 1 game anyway

Needs a win Tuesday to be taken seriously in my opinion but I still feel right now he's a stop gap

Of all the polls I've voted on, this is the most emphatic "no" I think I've ever registered.

Teams always bounce after an unwanted manager hits the dirt

Don’t underestimate the power of man motivation. Look at Norwich yesterday... if Waddock can get this lot running through walls for him we can escape
Running for 90 minutes would be a start ....the team physically are not a patch on when PB was here.Waddock must have been involved with pre season.Also the running through walls means pressing the opposition when not in possession... clearly lacking yesterday

No.

Whilst yesterday was an improvement and in truth a good point for us to get against a decent team.. we were very lucky not to get beat. I understand the argument especially after what Humphrys has had to say about his man management skills but I think AB would also be manager who’ll sit and chat to players and gee them up etc.

In my opinion I would speculate that Humphrys comments say more about how much he disliked Bond than anything else.

I would say at this stage he has done enough to keep himself in the running.

The team he picked yesterday was pretty much the strongest he could with the players available. Importantly he kept it simple with players playing in their natural positions and with a clear plan which they were able to transfer from the training ground on to the pitch.

There are deficiencies within the team, particularly with the midfield which like last season is too easily played through.

Macca has shown in the past that he is a good player but quite fragile with regards his confidence and fitness. He was clearly a key part of Waddock's plan, with a number of long balls to him, and with that confidence shown in him, he has responded in kind. It was noticeable that after his goal he went towards the bench and management team,

I am not usually an advocate of a direct style of play however our defence is simply not good enough to play out from the back. Whilst we have a shaky defence and a fragile midfield we do have good League 1 strikers in Cox and Humphrys (plus Goodship from the bench) so we need a system which gets the ball too them. This seemed to be the plan yesterday.

Defensively, it is not just the defence that needs sorting. Generally, we looked awful when Fleetwood had the ball. Would really help if we were able to hold the ball up front, just to take a bit of pressure off the back four. The whole team needs to play closer together, to ensure we are not comstantly stretched when the opposition have the ball.

Back