• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wrexham

Perhaps, either way a player turning down a crack at L1 after being top scorer in L2 so he can move to a NL club shows something in football is a bit broken
it is but i was wondering about this, did he ask for too much cash? does he have an attitude, could be a lot of reasons, for sure it is a weird move

From news reports it sounds like Rob McElhenney called him up and offered him a fat sack of cash

This is turning into the other clubs have signed thread.

We had a few signings and now it's gone very quiet.

Perhaps, either way a player turning down a crack at L1 after being top scorer in L2 so he can move to a NL club shows something in football is a bit broken

From what I hear his wife wanted him to move back up to the Liverpool area, Wrexham is only about 25 miles from there so a lot nearer than Cambridge. Also a 3 year deal, a big signing on fee and a basic of £5000 a week might have helped! Ryan Reynolds is chucking a lot of money into the club, so stand by for further big money deals up there. Reynolds is worth about 3 times as much as McElhenney, although neither are hard up!

A bit weird that Wrexham are throwing money at them this season when there will be a wage cap next season, regardless of what league they are in.

If they have him on £5k per week, that will be about 17% of their League 2 wage budget gone and that assumes he doesn't have a wage increase clause.

A bit weird that Wrexham are throwing money at them this season when there will be a wage cap next season, regardless of what league they are in.

If they have him on £5k per week, that will be about 17% of their League 2 wage budget gone and that assumes he doesn't have a wage increase clause.
Maybe the owners have their cheap as chips rags to riches Netflix series by then and don’t give a monkeys. Or maybe that’s a bit cynical.

The Players Union forced the EFL to scrap the wage cap in League 1 and 2 from this season, there is no cap anymore:

The thing is, the player could be paid directly by the owner not by the club therefore the salary cap could be bypassed any way. When we had Teddy Sherringham for a season he was paid £6K per week but the money came directly from Robbie Cowling not out of Colchester United. He knew the club couldn't afford to employ him so effectively he was an employee of Robbies, loaned out to Colchester United!

The thing is, the player could be paid directly by the owner not by the club therefore the salary cap could be bypassed any way. When we had Teddy Sherringham for a season he was paid £6K per week but the money came directly from Robbie Cowling not out of Colchester United. He knew the club couldn't afford to employ him so effectively he was an employee of Robbies, loaned out to Colchester United!
Isn't that now banned due to third party ownership rules?

The Players Union forced the EFL to scrap the wage cap in League 1 and 2 from this season, there is no cap anymore:

Thanks, didn't realise that.

Strange how it is deemed "unlawful" but aren't there salary caps in other sports, such as Rugby?

I couldn't read the whole article but seems the PFA are unhappy because a salary cap means fewer footballers employed. Which will also happen when clubs go bust from overspending, which the salary cap was there to prevent.

Isn't that now banned due to third party ownership rules?

Who knows if the owner of the club pays the player out of his own pocket rather than out of club funds I would have thought that was ok. But if someone other than the club owner did it I can see that could be an issue, obviously it was a long time ago (2007) when we had Teddy playing for us.

@Colchester and proud! , off topic but how do you think your boys will do this season? how many managers might you get thru? have you signed anyone other than ex Ipsditch players?

I think we will do well this season we have signed several new players with more being lined up either as loans or permanent deals, Theo Robinson being one who might come in. Other than the Ipswich players(Skuse,Chambers, Sears and Judge who I think will all do well at our level) we have resigned Nouble and also we have signed Luke Hannant who was with Cambridge and turned down a new contract to join us. I feel our manager problems of last season are over with Hayden Mullins settling in well and Alex Dyer coming in as assistant manager ( An old mate of Haydens) We let lots of players go last season, there were hints of trouble in the dressing room but those players are among those who were let go. We have concentrated more on experience this season rather than relying too much on youth, I feel playoffs are a possibility again.

Just read that Parkinson has Covid is self isolating couldn’t happen to a nicer fellow not.?

Just read that Parkinson has Covid is self isolating couldn’t happen to a nicer fellow not.?

Always used to think like this, but can't forget how he gave up his time for Chris Phillips' charity match, and how nice he was, as Colchester's manager. All those who played for him at that match and while there had nothing but praise for him.

Yes Phil is a lovely bloke and a very good man manager, he is a tough cookie as regards football though and demands total commitment from his players. He will shake Wrexham up from top to bottom, but he will want total honesty from the owners, if they muck him about he will be gone very quickly!

Back