• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This forum is all about opinions and arguments to those opinions . I may not agree with opinions that differ to my own , but I respect them nonetheless. I also understand that forums are a place for freedom of speech, but you Wiggy , I believe are a stain on this forum. You pathetic anti Southend comments are widely known on here, but personally for me, I'd love up stick your fishing rod where the sun don't shine ! You bring and add nothing . Please disappear without a trace. You and your pathetic comments or wishes for Southend to lose , so that you feel you have a right to point, are not wanted around here.

Pathetic excuse of a "fan" !

(Of course above is my own opinion - I may be proved wrong by the majority - however I feel here I won't be !)
I am certainly not fishing so i assume you are easily offended by negative comments about the present manager and the way he sets up the team. For what it is worth i think the squad is well good enough to go up in this poor league. O'Toole, Deegan, a poor Corr up front on his own, reluctance to play Payne until well into the season are unbelievable obvious mistakes that this manager has made. Yesterday showed just how poor we really are despite recently beating bottom sides including a 3 points gift from Northampton. When the team gets me buzzing with good football on the deck and plenty of attempts on goal you will be the first to know. I won't gloss over a load of old crap like you two so tough, it's a forum and opinions differ!

I am certainly not fishing so i assume you are easily offended by negative comments about the present manager and the way he sets up the team. For what it is worth i think the squad is well good enough to go up in this poor league. O'Toole, Deegan, a poor Corr up front on his own, reluctance to play Payne until well into the season are unbelievable obvious mistakes that this manager has made. Yesterday showed just how poor we really are despite recently beating bottom sides including a 3 points gift from Northampton. When the team gets me buzzing with good football on the deck and plenty of attempts on goal you will be the first to know. I won't gloss over a load of old crap like you two so tough, it's a forum and opinions differ!

Wiggy, the above though is the first time Ive read anything positive from you ! My point is , your messages on any thread are 2 or 3 lines tops. They are always negative. The above is one of the longest responses, where actually you do offer thoughts that could be deemed as positive. I for one agree that O'Toole is a mistake, I dont think we need him, Deegan on the other hand I think is vital for some games, not for all. Corr is suffering from the lone striker role, but as Ive spoken to someone a minute ago in work this formation is what all managers seem to play in England at the moment, for the life of me I dont understand why ! Im not sure if you think Corr is poor, or you think that Corr should have someone right up alongside him (not Payne for me, as Payne plays in the hole, not as a number 9).

You dont impress me when you come out the wood work when we lose, almost gloating about it, but you stay quiet during winning runs.

Trust me, I am not easily offended, Ive put up with a lot lot worse that some of your bleatings on here, so please dont think that I am that bothered about you in that way. I just get annoyed that you dont offer arguements. You slate people and leave at that.

Sorry to be negative but.....we beat four of the worst teams...just.....in a terrible league. We have known for a few months that Phil Brown is totally clueless.....Worrall a non starter, Payne a non starter and the list goes on. He now plays with virtually no strikers....just a very poor man's Andy Carroll and he expects to go to good teams with this set up. He signed Deegan....er why?.....He will never be as good as Clifford and the list of mistakes goes on but his bul l sh it fools some on here. Not being negative but it don't look good with him in charge!

Now and again you make a good point Wiggy

I thought we were poor to be honest and this defeat was coming even before the sending off we didnt ever look like equalizing and I thought Wycombe dominated the game after 3 minutes till the end. O'Toole and Weston were awful. Jack Payne was our only decent player.

In recent weeks and months I have been somewhat hyper-critical of the team and Phil Brown in particular, but I've missed filling my weekends with mediocre football and Wetherspoons liquid refreshment, so I've got myself a half-seaso and decided to travel yesterday (against my better judgement, as I have been to Adams Park too many times to count, and have never seen us win), but I was both enthused and appalled by some of what I saw yesterday.

I agree with others who have suggested that the officials had a major bearing on the game - the referee was unbelievably inconsistent (a League 2 trait unfortunately), and his assistants guessed most of their efforts. Nowhere was this more evident than when JJoT was booked for nothing more than a slight barge, yet he turned a blind eye to numerous professional fouls from the Wycombe players (btw, I still think we are nowhere near cynical enough to succeed in this harshest of Leagues).
However, we were, yet again, our own worst enemy. We started like the proverbial train, and the goal was a result of some excellent flowing football involving Weston and Payne (my word, this lad is an unbelievable talent), and we could have gone 2 up fairly quickly thereafter, but we looked lethargic and indecisive at the back, and I'm not quite sure what was going on between Prosser and Timlin, but every time WW came forward, the net result was a fairly heated disagreement between the two about positioning - in grimly predictable fashion, Prosser was fully to blame for the first goal (did anybody else notice he seemed to be ducking into his marker every time an aerial ball came toward him?). The second was another unbelievably soft piece of defending, and was appallingly timed from a Southend perspective, but we came out fighting in the second half and were still very much in the game until the sending off, at which point we seemed to lose all discipline across the pitch and I actually think Bentley could have done far better for both goals (ok, the fourth was a decent strike, but he seemed to be poorly positioned like for the preceding free kick).
To me, the almighty collapse shows up PB for what he is - a marquee name (at this level anyway) who isn't really up to the job of picking a first XI and setting them up to do a professional job at fellow promotion contenders - results like this can be very damaging in the course of a season, and with the perennial loss to Burton just round the corner, Christmas could be setting up to be quite depressing at Roots Hall. Doesn't make a difference now, but a manager more in the mould of John Still would probably have been a far better bet, particularly given the budget he worked on at Daggers and the relative riches we have here...

My overriding concern in all of this remains that I personally feel we have a very decent squad (on paper), but we have a manager and a training regime which perhaps isn't working to their strengths.
In spells, we didn't play that badly yesterday, but we don't create enough chances for what is already an ineffective front line, and we aren't defensively disciplined enough to hold on after going a goal up, so where do we go from here?

I love the man, but it pains me to say that I think Corr has had it now - he was slower than an arthritic pensioner yesterday and hardly won a header against a pretty frail looking Wycombe defence.
If we lose Payne in the window, we will be in serious trouble, as Clifford aside we don't really have any driving impetus through the centre of the pitch, and our wingers blow hot and cold.

Strangely, I'm not as disillusioned as I should be following a heavy defeat, and I don't really know why :unsure:

Top post and i completely agree. We have a decent squad and with one or two additions with a positive thinking manager would get promotion.

I thought we were poor to be honest and this defeat was coming even before the sending off we didnt ever look like equalizing and I thought Wycombe dominated the game after 3 minutes till the end. O'Toole and Weston were awful. Jack Payne was our only decent player.

According to commentary and Chris Phillips the first half was pretty even ?

According to commentary and Chris Phillips the first half was pretty even ?

After we scored all we did was defend the game was played in our half. I actually feel sorry for Corr he has no support up there on his own not helped by Weston giving it away every single time he gets the ball. Without Payne in the side it's hard to see us creating anything whatsoever.

I'd actually agree, Wycombe just took their chances better. Second half was all Wycombe though.

Wycombe had 6 shots on target, very clinical.

I'd disagree that the 2nd half was all Wycombe. We had the majority of the ball without creating any clear goalscoring chances and they just hit us on the counter-attack with us being unable to stop it, especially with 10 men.

disagree, apart form scoring twice they also hit the bar, we pretty much did nothing after we scored until the start of the 2nd half

According to the BBC We had 9 shots with 3 on target (compared to 12 and 6 for them) and had one more corner than they did.

Stats dont tell the whole story, but that plus what two commentators said doesnt paint a picture of us being dominated for 87 minutes, and we had 10 men for much of the second half.

DWB, Agree with all of this, I was in fact the guy at the front being reeled in, bit of light entertainment for an otherwise disappointing afternoon, didn't hurt in the slightest although the beer probably helped, anyway onwards and upwards! UTB!

O'Toole can jog on back to Northampton. Williams can go back to where he came from. Not for that challenge, which I think was a fair 50/50 challenge, but for his woeful positioning.

Corr offered zilch the whole game, would much rather Coulthirst played today. Weston made a blinding run and cross for the goal then forgot how to play football.

As soon as we scored, Wycombe put on the pressure and ran through us time and time again. The first 2 goals were inevitable, it was just when.

Most disappointing was the bunch of Southend 'Fans' that walked out as soon as the fourth goal went in.

You may travel all over the country supporting the team but to walk out with 20 mins to go is a disgrace, no matter how the team are doing. True support is through thick and thin, no matter what.

Oh, and the muppets that thought it was funny to kick the barriers over at the final whistle, just give Southend a bad name.

Best bit of the day was the guy as the front who threw himself to the ground and acted like a fish being reeled in, made me laugh. He fell with a thump to the floor though, must have hurt himself

That's simply not true is it. When this happens you are silent (as has been muted by countless posters on here over the years) If you actually did do that then when you posted something negative you would probably be listed to a lot more

Bbad day at office but the way there subs was giving obscene gestures toeards the fans
Was out of order 2 fingets salute etc and stewards not helping
One sub came over and told my young boy that his club was s....t it made him cry and not wanting to go back again. Writing to fa out of order

I always enjoy a bit of banter with the subs. Abuse both ways always makes me smile. That sub who spoke to your son was more or less right and your son will have to learn to accept that. He will have to man up a bit if he wants to keep on supporting the blues. And if you do write to the FA then I hope you get nowhere with that.

Ron has seen how big Sam had the transfers taken out of his control and how well that has worked for them. I think he will now go the same way as its obvious PB is clueless in this respect.

I always enjoy a bit of banter with the subs. Abuse both ways always makes me smile. That sub who spoke to your son was more or less right and your son will have to learn to accept that. He will have to man up a bit if he wants to keep on supporting the blues. And if you do write to the FA then I hope you get nowhere with that.

Ron has seen how big Sam had the transfers taken out of his control and how well that has worked for them. I think he will now go the same way as its obvious PB is clueless in this respect.

So you think it's ok for grown men to be abusive to children just because it's a football ground?? And as for Ron picking players, you only have to see Ron's previous attempts at that to realise your logic is seriously flawed.

To be banter, it has to go BOTH ways. Mocking a young kid and making him cry isn't banter, it's abuse and bang out of order. Dan Bentley (according to the WWFC forum) apparently said something out of order to a ball boy which is also wrong, but at least he had the sense to realise this and the decency to seek him out at the end of the game and apologise to him.

Back