• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You are assuming that it was the stadium alone which caused the improvement in fortunes. A new chairman and significant increase in investment in the playing squad was what improved the quality of football which is what increased the attendances.

Without Ron Martin being replaced with somebody who is prepared to spend money on players, we will stay in the lower leagues and once the novelty of the new ground has worn off attendances will be lower than present as it will be far less accessible.

Do you honestly believe what you're saying or are you on a wind up?

Brighton has a similar population to Southend had similar attandencies to us. They built a new stadium and are now getting 25k+ per match. They even had to extend their capacity (initially 23k now 30k). There is no reason why we could not average 15-20k if we move to a stadium.

Brighton have always been a better supported club than us. The only time they had low attendances, was when they played at the Withdean(?) ground, which only held around 7,000.
When they played at the Goldstone ground they regularly had attendances between 10- 18,000 in the old 3rd & 2nd Divisions.
In 2004 I saw their play off final at Cardiff (long story!) V Bristol City. They took 32,000 that day.
We couldn't muster that at nearer Wembley, for our 1st visit v Crewe, never mind about going to Cardiff!.

Do I believe that a new stadium will magically get us promoted and treble the crowd - no.

I don't think anyone believes that would be the case, magic tends to not feature in the adventures of Southend United. But if we were to achieve promotion to the Championship (and Ron has been at the helm when we did it before), then a new stadium would attract better players. Better facilities would also encourage more supporters than the die hards of Roots Hall, it ain't rocket science after all.

I don't think anyone believes that would be the case, magic tends to not feature in the adventures of Southend United. But if we were to achieve promotion to the Championship (and Ron has been at the helm when we did it before), then a new stadium would attract better players. Better facilities would also encourage more supporters than the die hards of Roots Hall, it ain't rocket science after all.

And we got relegated straight away. As I said previously, one season ten years ago is not justification for a new stadium. How are these 22,000 people going to get there? Very difficult to walk to, inaccessible by train and only 1,000 parking spaces.

And we got relegated straight away. As I said previously, one season ten years ago is not justification for a new stadium. How are these 22,000 people going to get there? Very difficult to walk to, inaccessible by train and only 1,000 parking spaces.

Rather than me answer your issues, maybe first you could tell me what you would do to secure the future of Southend United.

Brighton have always been a better supported club than us. The only time they had low attendances, was when they played at the Withdean(?) ground, which only held around 7,000.
When they played at the Goldstone ground they regularly had attendances between 10- 18,000 in the old 3rd & 2nd Divisions.
In 2004 I saw their play off final at Cardiff (long story!) V Bristol City. They took 32,000 that day.
We couldn't muster that at nearer Wembley, for our 1st visit v Crewe, never mind about going to Cardiff!.

I know we are off subject but Brighton averaged 7k in 1995 (the year they moved out of the Goldstone ). In the early 90's they were averaging less than that.

SouthUpperShrimper it is a fact that attandencies substantially increase when clubs move to new grounds. I have used Brighton as an example but could have said; Doncaster, Derby, Leicester, Rotherham or about 20 other clubs.

Redevelop Roots Hall

If that were achievable we would have done it by now. The club doesn't own Roots Hall and there's no money in it for Ron. As he owns the club redevelopment of Roots Hall isn't going to happen, that's a fact regardless of what any of us may think.

Going back to your earlier post the distance to Fossetts Farm by foot is marginally longer from Prittlewell Station than it is to Roots Hall, but not by much. As for parking, unless you are one of the chosen few that has a space in the club car park, then parking there is very hit or miss. I would welcome 1000 spaces at FF. I also think that the club or local bus companies would make arrangements to serve Fossetts Farm on match days and probably at other times too as it would be a retail park.

I'm pretty sure we would average 10k in league one in a cracking stadium. And i would think 12-15k in the championship.

We can't do this at roots. We cannot redevelop due to constraints in the location.

It's short sighted to believe that simply redeveloping roots hall would provide enough revenue streams to give us a future.

Col u are better off financially than us on lesser gates. That is because they are able to use the stadium and training facilities for so much more.

Think a nearer comparison would be Reading or Swansea.....We can't really know what our potential is because we have never hit the big time and increased our fan base as a result.The crowds in the early 70s gives a clue,and remember the areas population has probably increased by 100,000 PLUS since then.Only problem is Wet Spam and their gifted grounds cheap seats.....don't get me started:nope:

Not quite sure what is so unreasonable about that - a policy being adopted by many other clubs at the moment.

Of course.........the club must have a Debit card they can use......or if not I'm sure they have a Credit card........or maybe go to the bank for a loan, you know the one that says yes....?

Agree, with you. Besides, redeveloping RH to any decent standard would cost an arm and a leg and whilst being done (if not ground-sharing at additional cost in the interim) and capacity would be cut back dramatically = a substantial fall in
income.

This is so exciting if only Blue Peter were following the ticket sales, they could have a light omitter to show each 10 sales from this point on with Peter Duncan and Yevette Fielding doing the calculations for the divs in the ticket office (infact replace them with an aging Labrador and a tortoise and you've got like for like , we could then flick over to Connie Ron Martin who could **** Stacy Island right off and build a Paper Machie Pipe Dream Stadium

This is so exciting if only Blue Peter were following the ticket sales, they could have a light omitter to show each 10 sales from this point on with Peter Duncan and Yevette Fielding doing the calculations for the divs in the ticket office (infact replace them with an aging Labrador and a tortoise and you've got like for like , we could then flick over to Connie Ron Martin who could **** Stacy Island right off and build a Paper Machie Pipe Dream Stadium

Not overly impressed with the thread then?

Back