• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Yeovil Town 2-0 Southend United F.A Cup

Must admit those pics brought a tear to my eyes, on any other day i'd have mistaken him for a match day mascot ( no offence intended ).
I sincerely pray that the buy-out happens asap, & we can get back to normal, after such a long time under 'The Rat's' complete farcical mismanagement & ownership.
And next season we're hopefully smash this league big time, & the N.L can suck eggs.

As I mentioned in the pre-match thread, the start of the match was always going to be crucial today.

Yeovil’s early goal gave them something to hang onto, we didn’t take our chances when they came, and their threat through transitions caused us problems, again not helped by player availability.

First of all, huge congratulations to Beau MacDonald, who didn’t look out of place at all despite his tender age, and to Ronnie Blake for both making their first team debuts. Well done lads and I hope you both have long and successful careers in football.

Given the ridiculous restrictions imposed upon us in respect of playing personnel, I don’t think we should be too upset about the result or performance in this match. It has to be said that Yeovil paid us a huge compliment by not even trying to go toe to toe with us, particularly in the second half, because they knew we would out play them. Fortunately for them, they took the lead at the very start of the match, a goal I missed because my stream was buffering at the time, which allowed them to then sit back and try to catch us on the break. That plan worked for their second goal, and we were never going to come back from two down regardless of our possession and dominance.

I like the way Kev and his coaching staff have got us playing despite being limited to the small squad, exacerbated by recent injuries and suspensions. However, I think our Achilles’ heel is not knowing how to penetrate teams that park the bus. Also, I feel we can be so dominant that we can easily be undone by a long ball out of the opposition’s defence and a quick forward running on to it. Hopefully, when the embargo gets lifted we will be able to bring in a few players that can allow Kev to alter our game plan against sides that play as Yeovil did today.

I’m not particularly concerned about today’s result and I think we should be proud of the effort put in by the boys against the background of having key players missing. I hope we haven’t picked up any serious knocks today and we will come out next Saturday with a stronger team ready to turn over Solihull.

An absolute disaster.

What this club needs is a cup run. Cup runs generate cash and give players confidence. Both seem to be missing right now. The Cup should have been our number one priority this year. Obviously Maher’s hands were tied but the last thing we needed was a Southampton away start and that what we got. The ref got the first of many decisions wrong when he gave Yeovil a freekick that never was. The ball was half cleared and knocked past Hayes. Bugger.

We could probably have coped with one of Noor and Cav missing but not both. Coker instead moved back to play Cav’s role but had his second worse display of the season after Dorking. That may say more about how well he’s played this season though as it made us weaker higher up the pitch. Like his manager who improved once he had Gower to pass to, Coker looks better with Miley always open to pass to. Mooney struggled to impose himself on the game. How much of that was illness and injury is difficult to gauge. Fonguck retained and recycled the ball well but he needed runners past him and that didn’t happen.

Up front Cardwell struggled to get into the game. I think that was more reflective of our issues getting the ball forward than him as a player. It was noticeable as well that Wood enjoyed much more success when he was switched out wide late on.

Beau McDonald did impress. He retained the ball well and battled. He looked very good for a 16 year old. Blake came on late and lost the ball with the only time he touched it, which just served to highlight how well McDonald did.

In the grand scheme of things with a fortnight until the deal is completed minimum plus however long on top until the embargo is cleared we could probably do without the additional fixtures.

Who wants a cup run when you can win the whole trophy anyway

An absolute disaster.

What this club needs is a cup run. Cup runs generate cash and give players confidence. Both seem to be missing right now. The Cup should have been our number one priority this year.
Completely disagree. Our number one priority has to be to stay in this league by completing the sale and getting the embargo lifted. Once, and only once that is done, will we be able to strengthen the team and look forward to next season when we'll win this league at a canter.

Well done RM, thanks to your gross incompetence we can just about manage to field a team of players for the FA cup because of the never ending embargo caused by your selfish, arrogant greed.

Your legacy will be leaving SUFC on it's knees and in the gutter, hang your head in shame.

💙

Last edited:
SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher has called for more to be done to help the welfare of his players.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Ive said it more than once ,the NL dont give a **** about player welfare, really all they care about is big noting themselves as directors of this pathetic league. Full of themselves f**k player welfare and something should be done about it .

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. Try telling it to Michael Owen or Wayne Rooney.

Break him in gently but the chant for next season needs a bit of work.

Beau MacDonald had a game. EIEIO
And in that game he had a goal EIEIO

• Haha
Reactions: JD
From what I gather and i have asked it is because we still owe tax. They did not put another WUP on us immediately as they have spoken to Anna F and probably others who have said the sale is close to completion. The NL however are aware so are reluctant to lift the embargo until it is paid and of course as of now you cannot expect any of the consortium to put any more money into the club until they 100% own it.
They have already gone out on a limb paying wages and 50% of the previous WUP.
I get all that and know this is all RM doing but it just feels as the NL are knocking us when down and are not supporting us

An absolute disaster.

What this club needs is a cup run. Cup runs generate cash and give players confidence. Both seem to be missing right now. The Cup should have been our number one priority this year. Obviously Maher’s hands were tied but the last thing we needed was a Southampton away start and that what we got. The ref got the first of many decisions wrong when he gave Yeovil a freekick that never was. The ball was half cleared and knocked past Hayes. Bugger.

We could probably have coped with one of Noor and Cav missing but not both. Coker instead moved back to play Cav’s role but had his second worse display of the season after Dorking. That may say more about how well he’s played this season though as it made us weaker higher up the pitch. Like his manager who improved once he had Gower to pass to, Coker looks better with Miley always open to pass to. Mooney struggled to impose himself on the game. How much of that was illness and injury is difficult to gauge. Fonguck retained and recycled the ball well but he needed runners past him and that didn’t happen.

Up front Cardwell struggled to get into the game. I think that was more reflective of our issues getting the ball forward than him as a player. It was noticeable as well that Wood enjoyed much more success when he was switched out wide late on.

Beau McDonald did impress. He retained the ball well and battled. He looked very good for a 16 year old. Blake came on late and lost the ball with the only time he touched it, which just served to highlight how well McDonald did.
Don’t agree with your comment on our players missing confidence the players have been playing full of confidence as a team , this was one match hit by injury and loan players who couldn’t play they can only do their best ,

Back