• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeovil

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ April 25 2005,14:56)]I wouldn't rank that game as in the top 50 most important.  But, a good link to plug an excellent book  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
I try

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ April 25 2005,13:14)]Was just speaking to my mate about this last night.

I rate this right up there with the biggest games in our history. Basically the winning of the league and the culmination of 46 league games comes down to one match!

Imagine how we are feeling (and how we will be come Friday) and then think of the players on Saturday!?

Lets get the b******s out of moaning at the players, fighting amongst our own and shouting for Gower to be brought on etc - LETS GET BEHIND SOUTHEND UNITED FOR 90 MINUTES.

If we dont win, at least as supporters we can be proud we did our best. Against Oxford, I think the support (certainly around me) was awful. I know we are all nervous etc, but do you think moaning that we arent getting it forward etc is going to help? This was after about 5 minutes when we were actually keeping the ball quite well.

Lets try to think this week how we can make a difference to the result on Saturday...
Top post!!

I agree with this game being one of the most important games in SUFC's history, or since i started supporting the Blues back in '87.

We must battle to the end, and make as much noise as possible for 90 minutes.

We need to make Roots Hall so intimidating to Yeovil and get the three points!

This game is just sooooooooooo important!

LETS GET BEHIND THE BLUEEEEESSSSS

Yep, definitely top 10. Only comparable games since I started supporting:

*Bury (a), 91
*Luton (h), 93
*Notts County (a), 95
*Col Ewe (h), 04

Can't think of any bigger ones since I started supporting in 1990-1. Incidentally, this is a bigger game than Grimsby will be. Win this game and we can win the title. Lose it and we're in the playoffs. There's thus more riding on it...

My bowels will have turned to water by Friday...

ghostface.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 25 2005,14:42)]I don't think it's as important as the game which kept us in the league in the mid-80s.

To read more, see David Goody's excellent book, 50 greatest matches, available from the Trust at a discount.
I make you right there napper

For more information 'about being right'

buy '50 reasons for Being Right' available from Mr Cockles at £3.99

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 25 2005,16:36)]Yep, definitely top 10.  Only comparable games since I started supporting:

*Bury (a), 91
*Luton (h), 93
*Notts County (a), 95
*Col Ewe (h), 04

Can't think of any bigger ones since I started supporting in 1990-1.  Incidentally, this is a bigger game than Grimsby will be.  Win this game and we can win the title.  Lose it and we're in the playoffs.  There's thus more riding on it...

My bowels will have turned to water by Friday...

ghostface.gif

Matt
Not true. Grimsby is the vital game. Lose against Yeovil and then a win against Grimsby will be enough. Swansea will not make up the three goals difference in their last 2 games. They have to go to Bury last game, and they are in great form. Manager will probably get the MotM award for April - so that may be the only fly in the ointment there! We will win at Grimsby as Torquay won at our place last year - when it really matters the team that needs the result gets it.

In any case we won't lose to Yeovil, their own form currently is poor. It will be a roller-coaster ride though. But once you step off the train the thrills and excitement you have experienced (and scared you) are always worth it.

Have faith!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 25 2005,16:36)]Yep, definitely top 10.  Only comparable games since I started supporting:

*Bury (a), 91
*Luton (h), 93
*Notts County (a), 95
*Col Ewe (h), 04
I wouldn't put Bury ahead of Yeovil. Yes, it was a history making day and a day never to be forgotten. But, promotion did not hinge on that game - we had two more games to go and a win in any one of the last three would have taken us up - and it wasn't against a promotion rival.

Can't argue much with the others, although personally going up this year is far more important than making the final of the Anglo Italian.

Other big games for the list:

Stockport (a) 1987
Peterborough (a) 1990

Anymore for the list?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 25 2005,16:52)]We will win at Grimsby as Torquay won at our place last year - when it really matters the team that needs the result gets it.
Hhmmm, just like Huddersfield did on the last day of last season.
rock.gif

A three goal swing in goal difference is very possible - we lose to Yeovil and Swansea beat a very poor Shrews team by at least two. It would then come down to us beating Grimsby by more than Swansea beat Bury.
wow.gif

Nurse, where's the prozac (and it's only Monday).

Yes can we for 90 minutes sing our lungs out, and if things aren't going well can we sing even louder to encourage the team. I shall be doing my best to try and stir the East Reds into perhaps joining in.

Come on everyone for 90 minutes get behind the team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GodblessArthurRowley @ April 25 2005,18:12)]Yes can we for 90 minutes sing our lungs out, and if things aren't going well can we sing even louder to encourage the team. I shall be doing my best to try and stir the East Reds into perhaps joining in.

Come on everyone for 90 minutes get behind the team.
I'll be singing my heart out from Loughborough. Might get some funny looks but hopefully it'll have some impact.

If a butterfly flapping its wings can cause a tornado...

Back