• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your most hated phrase, saying or expression

That advert where the couple say "We NEED to go to Barcelona RIGHT AWAY!"

No, you'd LIKE to go to Barcelona...no one NEEDS to go to Barcelona.

Nothing annoys me quite so much as the BBC's total abandoment of the word "fewer".

"Well," says the Beeb journo, "there seem to be less fans in the ground today than when I was last here..."

No, no, no, no, no... you f***ing moron. You're supposed to be protecting our language, not massacring it!

:guns:

While I'm at it, the widespread habit of using the comparative adjective in an adverbial phrase p*sses me off as well. "We can get there quicker..." or "We can buy it cheaper..."

No, no, no again! More quickly, more cheaply. Stop being so bloody idle!

:flamer:

....and breathe....

:(

Yep, it's "PC gone mad" for me too. Used nowadays as an excuse for all kinds of bigotry.

I also dislike "nanny state" and "postcode lottery".

"Can I get" when ordering food drink etc....
No you cant get it, otherwise why have you asked someone to do it for you !!! its "may I have". What p***ses me of is I have heard it used frequently by two Oxford English graduates !!!!!

"Can I get" when ordering food drink etc....
No you cant get it, otherwise why have you asked someone to do it for you !!! its "may I have". What p***ses me of is I have heard it used frequently by two Oxford English graduates !!!!!

HA! HA!

As I work in a bar, I get this all the time!

My normal response is: "I don't know; give it a try."

"No worries mate" as if you're an extra in Neighbours.

Trouble is I say it myself :(

Blimey , you learn something everyday, I had always assumed it was something to do with baseball and making sure you couldn't be out......

It could be both.

"To ensure everyone has the same information. In baseball, a player who is touching a base is not in danger of being put out. May also be a military term. Another explanation is that a player briefly touches each of the bases when he runs around after hitting a home run; therefore "touching base" is briefly checking in."

"Colchester are doing well!"

GRRRR The amount of people who used to say that to me I could of killed them all. Be like a Rambo film.

Next up, First Up, Heads Up, Give it up for....:mad:
Think I spot a pattern here.

"Tactically naieve" when refering to any manager who's not doing well. It was first used, and arguably appropriately, for Kevin Keegan. Now it's just used whatever the managerial deficiency.

Also, "he did brilliant" or "He played excellent" it's brilliant/excellentLY!

I seem to remember Alistair McGowan spoofing Gary Linneker trying to educate Trevor Brooking on this once.

I don't like the repetitive use of 'you know' - this normally occurs in interviews with footballers and even our much loved manager seems to splurt out at least half a dozen of them when speaking for a couple of minutes

Back