• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your sufc 5 a side team?

Im ditching the goalkeeper

Egbri - World class, better than Messi
K Taylor - Very comfortable on the ball
Olayinka- Tekkers, Goals, when on form he's superb
ANG - Another skilful one
JD - Gets about, in there to guide the young lads, would've gone for McCormack but might be a bit intense for him.

Present
Oxley
Elvis
Taylor
Egbri
Akinola

Past
Flahavan
Powell
Butler
Otto
Freddy

I was thinking very much the same for the past team. In the end had to be Tilly for Otto. Having played against Tilly i know how good he is at pass and move. If you get tight he passes first time if you give him any room he might have a second touch but never a 3rd...He never needed too.

I was thinking very much the same for the past team. In the end had to be Tilly for Otto. Having played against Tilly i know how good he is at pass and move. If you get tight he passes first time if you give him any room he might have a second touch but never a 3rd...He never needed too.
I would try and make room for Anton Outolakoski , vey fast and very nippy just who you need in a 5 a side team .

That's a good shout. I've played against him in a charity match, and he does keep the game very simple. Very rarely gave the ball away.

I would try and make room for Anton Outolakoski , vey fast and very nippy just who you need in a 5 a side team .

Did consider him but Tilly was a much better all round player, his game on and off the ball (always available) makes him a cert for my 5 a side

Small world, Anton O came to train my Saturday team one summer 30+ years ago. First up was the 6 a sides in Rayleigh which many on here must have played in. 3/4 size pitches and full size goals.

He had this bizarre theory that we have to show players inside towards the centre and into trouble (meaning a defender or 2) people tried to point out that may work in a tight 5 a side but with all the room in the 6's it would just mean they get shots at goal?

He insisted, we did it and it was a disaster. He stormed off never to be seen again. To this day I still cant work out what he was trying to achieve with that tactic. It turns out if a defender has to close the space down he leaves a forward unmarked 20yds from a full size goal with time and space.

Inspired with Flavs as the perfect height for a five a side goalkeeper!

Yes, he wasn't the tallest...but I based the decision on his shot stopping abilities. His clean sheet against a certain Christiano Ronaldo (at Man U) was one of the greatest performances seen at the Hall. I wonder what ever became of that Ronaldo fella ?

Yes, he wasn't the tallest...but I based the decision on his shot stopping abilities. His clean sheet against a certain Christiano Ronaldo (at Man U) was one of the greatest performances seen at the Hall. I wonder what ever became of that Ronaldo fella ?

Eh? They were all saves I'd have backed Mel Capelton to make, let alone a competent keeper. The real heroes that day were Sodje and Prior in central defence who kept Rooney and Ronaldo 25 yards from goal and limited them to shots you'd expect any keeper to save.

For 5-a-side I'd also be looking at the keeper's distribution. Flav's was ponderous at best. Federici, aside from being a better keeper, also had much faster, more accurate distribution.

My first name in any Southend United all-time 5-a-side draft would be Mike Marsh. As talented as he was on a full-size pitch, his game was even more suited to 5-a-side.

Eh? They were all saves I'd have backed Mel Capelton to make, let alone a competent keeper. The real heroes that day were Sodje and Prior in central defence who kept Rooney and Ronaldo 25 yards from goal and limited them to shots you'd expect any keeper to save.

For 5-a-side I'd also be looking at the keeper's distribution. Flav's was ponderous at best. Federici, aside from being a better keeper, also had much faster, more accurate distribution.

My first name in any Southend United all-time 5-a-side draft would be Mike Marsh. As talented as he was on a full-size pitch, his game was even more suited to 5-a-side.

Fair point ! Sodje & Prior were first class that night. Mike Marsh. Forgot about him. Quality player

not sure why some continually play down Flahavan's contribution to the win. Most neutral observers counted 3 great saves and the press described Flahavan as "the real hero of the win". One said, "United poured forward and Ronaldo hit a cracker from 30 yards that Flahavan somehow tipped one-handed over the crossbar, a magnificent save from the 27-year-old".

not sure why some continually play down Flahavan's contribution to the win. Most neutral observers counted 3 great saves and the press described Flahavan as "the real hero of the win". One said, "United poured forward and Ronaldo hit a cracker from 30 yards that Flahavan somehow tipped one-handed over the crossbar, a magnificent save from the 27-year-old".

I agree, it was an amazing experience that night that even with all the possession that Man Utd had, I never once felt that Flahavan would get beaten - he, as well as many others, was outstanding in my opinion.

Just before we scored it dawned on me we had a chance. Evans I think had hit the post, they'd missed an open goal and there were Flav's saves. On another day we'd have lost. The other thing I remember although it might all be in my mind that there was a millisecond delay when the goal went in with everyone in shock before the eruption of amazed delight. What an evening and Sodje should have made it 2 later on.

You’re right regarding the United game, but maybe a tad harsh on Flavs. I’ve heard this a few times, that they were easy saves but I think he played a blinder. Seems so long ago now doesn’t it ..

Back