• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Youth players to make first team appearances

SUFCGoals

Striker
Afternoon everyone,

After Beau and Ronnie made their debuts on Saturday I have put this together of other youth academy players to have made a first team appearance.

Any input on players missed out or additional information is welcome :)

Some old timer fans like me may recall a home game v Lincoln in the sixties. There was a flu bug that decimated our squad and we made about seven or eight changes including I think one or two youth players, O'connor may have been one. Most fans thought we would lose the match but we drew 2-2. It was a cold winters day possibly snow around. Someone with a better memory than me may have the correct facts.

Was Freddie Eastwood Sr a youth team player of ours? I think Matt Harrold was.

Justin Edinburgh
Leo Roget
Danny Foot
Nicky Smith
Mel Capelton
Luke Morrish
Paul Smith (the midfielder who hit the bar v W*** H** not the keeper who had a worldie at Brentford)
Iain O’Connell
Declan Perkins
Jae Martin
Steve Brown
Scott Ashenden
Christian Hyslop
Jamie Southern
Did Craig Davidson ever get a game?

Afternoon everyone,

After Beau and Ronnie made their debuts on Saturday I have put this together of other youth academy players to have made a first team appearance.

Any input on players missed out or additional information is welcome :)
Some old timer fans like me may recall a home game v Lincoln in the sixties. There was a flu bug that decimated our squad and we made about seven or eight changes including I think one or two youth players, O'connor may have been one. Most fans thought we would lose the match but we drew 2-2. It was a cold winters day possibly snow around. Someone with a better memory than me may have the correct facts.
This was precisely the game I was thinking of Reckon You're right about O'connor.Can't remember the other guy.

Boxing Day 1969.. Two 16 year olds, Phil O'Connor first half and Paul Vickery replaced him second half. Neither ever featured again. Garner scored twice in a 2-2 draw.

Some extra names from Peter Mason and Dave Goody’s the Official History of the Blues which is up to 1992

Chris Barnard
Dave Barnett
Jackie Bridge
Paul Denny
Phil Dudley
Micky Engwell
John Gymer
Bobby Haddrick
Peter Heathcote
Jeff Hull
Matt Jones
David Keefe
Bobby Kellard
Steve Lamb
Frank Mathews
Garry Nelson
Phil O’Connor
Adrian Owers
Glenn Pennyfather
Terry Pryer
Sean Rafter
John Seaden (Harry’s dad)
Alan Shires
Russell Short
Peter Taylor
Paul Vickery
John Walker
Frank Walton - of South Upper Clock (joined from school)
Ray White

Boxing Day 1969.. Two 16 year olds, Phil O'Connor first half and Paul Vickery replaced him second half. Neither ever featured again. Garner scored twice in a 2-2 draw.

Phil O’Connor’s story on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_O'Connor

Emigrated to Australia, played 20 Internationals for them scoring 5 goals. Sadly died in a road accident in 1985 aged 31.

Some extra names from Peter Mason and Dave Goody’s the Official History of the Blues which is up to 1992

Chris Barnard
Dave Barnett
Jackie Bridge
Paul Denny
Phil Dudley
Micky Engwell
John Gymer
Bobby Haddrick
Peter Heathcote
Jeff Hull
Matt Jones
David Keefe
Bobby Kellard
Steve Lamb
Frank Mathews
Garry Nelson
Phil O’Connor
Adrian Owers
Glenn Pennyfather
Terry Pryer
Sean Rafter
John Seaden (Harry’s dad)
Alan Shires
Russell Short
Peter Taylor
Paul Vickery
John Walker
Frank Walton - of South Upper Clock (joined from school)
Ray White
This'll keep me busy

I always that Paul Clark was a youth team player? Am I wrong?

You’re not wrong - I think he was an England schoolboy international before he joined us. Made his debut just before his 18th birthday and went to Brighton when he was 19.

It's hard to say when the youth side actually started - plenty of young players played for the club in their early days, like Len Clenshaw.

Gary Cross, Leon Johnson & Ayodeji Abiodun from the turn of the Millenium come to mind.

Gary Cross, Leon Johnson & Ayodeji Abiodun from the turn of the Millenium come to mind.
Think Yemi Abiodun was from Norwich but good calls on Garry Cross and Leon Johnson.

Think Craig Edwards, Leon Hunter, Danny Kerrigan and Tom McDonald all around that era.

Did Jamie Lunan or Nick Morgan ever play?

Anthony Clark as well.

Back