• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our midfield is uninspiring and needs a good, quick creative central midfielder to sit in there. Worrall and Weston should be shoe-ins if we are to keep Corr banging in the goals as we need good wingers. I was very impressed with Myles, under so much pressure to deliver a quality ball in the box at a last gasp stage and he beat his man wonderfully and with supreme confidence to flight a lovely ball in. His penalty was taken superb as well. Moments of quality like that won us the playoff final along with Bentley up the other end. And more of this quality will be needed in L1. Engines such as Atkinson and Timlin just isnt enough, but they can cerdainly share a season. Maybe Payne can take that confidence of his Wembley penalty into next season and shine. Ryan Leonard certainly has the quality but we dont see it often enough.

Phil said quite clearly in his Sky interview yesterday morning that there will be no contract news this week as he is on holiday and will not be sitting down to discuss his or others contracts until he is back next week.

3 year deal basically done. To be signed once he is back.

GK:
Keep Bentley and T.Smith, release P.Smith

Full Backs:
Coker first choice left back
Replace John White if possible
Look for youngsters

Centre Backs:
Keep Barrett, Bolger and Thompson
Release Prosser and Mads
Bring in 1 quality CB and 1 young CB

Wings:
Keep Weston, Hurst and Worrall
Release Atkinson?
Bring in one quality winger

Centre Midfield:
Keep Leonard, Timlin, Payne
Release Deegan, Clifford
Bring in 2 quality midfielders and one youngster

Strikers:
Keep Corr
Release Barnard
Bring in two strikers. Pigott if possible, look at Cassidy.

Youngsters (Bridges, Williams etc). Release or long-term loans.

Lots of you saying we should keep Hurst. I don't disagree, but I would imagine he will be one of the first out, not been able to get near the team for months.

I'd imagine Hurst will be one of the first out the door. Clearly not on Brown's radar any longer and might fancy a return up north. He's always been a streaky, confidence player who looks completely devoid of that at the moment and could do with a fresh start. Other than that, I wouldn't be making wholesale changes to the side as it's key we keep what seems like a good group together. Clifford and Barnard can both go, as can Ibenfeldt most likely. I'd keep the rest, bring in Pigott who looks a prospect if possible (although he's well fancied at Charlton, and the new manager might want a closer look at him) and look to supplement the team with two or three quality (over quantity) additions, mainly at either end of the pitch.

Lots of you saying we should keep Hurst. I don't disagree, but I would imagine he will be one of the first out, not been able to get near the team for months.

He still has a year left on his contract though, so would expect him to stay unless we get a decent offer.

GK:
Keep Bentley and T.Smith, release P.Smith

Full Backs:
Coker first choice left back
Replace John White if possible
Look for youngsters

Centre Backs:
Keep Barrett, Bolger and Thompson
Release Prosser and Mads
Bring in 1 quality CB and 1 young CB

Wings:
Keep Weston, Hurst and Worrall
Release Atkinson?
Bring in one quality winger

Centre Midfield:
Keep Leonard, Timlin, Payne
Release Deegan, Clifford
Bring in 2 quality midfielders and one youngster

Strikers:
Keep Corr
Release Barnard
Bring in two strikers. Pigott if possible, look at Cassidy.

Youngsters (Bridges, Williams etc). Release or long-term loans.

Pretty much agree with that. Only difference I would say is that if we get a decent offer for Hurst then take it as he hasn't been near his form of 13/14 and get in another winger.

A squad size of around 20 kept on permanent deals would ideal and then if we get injures we could either use those coming up from the youth system or dip into the loan market.

As for Jack Bridge & Jason Williams, they should be kept and would like to see them used in pre-season to test them out. They can then either stay here and play with the under 21s (if this happens or not we will have to see) or go out on loan to either League 2 or Conference level.

I think that having an under 21 team & becoming a category 2 academy will help a huge amount. I believe we have 8 players coming up from the under 18 team who have been given a 3rd year scholarship and this will been seen as a natural progression to help the step between the youth team and the 1st team. There are a few there who I think could be back ups for next season. This team will help those in the 1st team who are coming back from injury or on the fringes of the first team to get games as I believe there is an "overage" quote that is allowed. Will also be good to chance for those playing in the youth team to play in these matches if they are excelling at that level.

Bentley- No brainer, must stay if we can keephim
T Smith – Yep great prospect
P Smith – get rid of the wage, there are alwaysgood loan options on keepers in an injury crisis

White- Would keep him, reliable without beingoutstanding, you need a few of these guys in the team.
Bolger- Needs a good head next to him but agood no nonsense centre back with great aerial presence, a keeper.
Barrett- Another season is on the right wagesis a no brainer in my eyes, even if just a back up.
Thompson- Has promise, would keep him
Prosser- let him go, I think many mistake hismassive improvements as him being a good player, he isn’t bad but never league1 level.
Ibenfeldt- One for the management to decide, weare all clueless
Coker- 100% a keeper, our best outfield playerIMO

Worrall- keep him, impressed greatly thisseason
Timlin- Keep, so important to the midfield, wemiss him so much when not there
Deegan- let him go, having a beard and bigthighs might make him a hero in some eyes but we should be looking to improveon players like this. Anthony Grant can do the dirty stuff and pass and winendless amounts of freekicks, would rather us have somebody in that mould. Don’tget me wrong, I appreciate his contribution but we need to move forward.
Atkinson- I’d keep him, someone said earlierthat he is like a lower league Milner and I’d agree. He will rarely excite youbut he will put in a shift and is a better footballer than many credit himwith. Def has a place in next seasons squad IMO
Leonard- an average season but his youth andpotential make him a must keep. I would really like to see him converted to awinger or wide midfielder though where his pace could do some real damage.
Weston- I’d probably release him if he didn’thave another yr on his contract, has something to offer as an impact sub butwould rather his wages be used towards something new. If we can get rid then Iwould.
Payne- Not convinced by the lad yet but shouldbe given another season.
Clifford- I rate him but he’ll be gone.
Hurst- Too many in midfield to keep him basedon old form, let him go

Corr- Think this is a level to far personally, I’dhave him as back up but nothing more.
Barnard- free up those allegedly large wages
Williams- give him a season to prove mrsblueright for the first time ever

Loanees

Cassidy/Piggott- try to get one of the 2probably Pig, would like to see some real pace in our forward line though.
JBW- can see big potential but can also seemistakes along the way, undecided, wouldn’t be bothered either way
MacLaughlin- I’d like to see him back, thinkthere is a very good footballer in there.

So Hurst, Barnard, Clifford, Deegan, Prosserand P Smith off the wages for me and possibly Weston and Ibenfeldt too, shouldgive us some scope for new signings

No major loss. Done ok for us but not been overly impressed and to be honest hope we do better with a winger. Gives the ball away too much for my mind, Decent crosser but not fussed.

I get what you are saying but there have been moments and touches and some of his movement that has made me think he could be something special given time to settle in. Certainly improved in his time with us, at first I didn't see much either

Don't think many changes are required. I would imagine that the current squad (including the current loan players) would probably have finished mid to lower table in League One.

Only need a handful of improvements to change that to being competitive. I would say a back up defender, a creative midfielder and a couple of forwards, so 4 players in. I would be happy if one of those was :pig:

Making wholesale changes is not a recipe for success when a lot of that success is built on fitness, hard work and team spirit. Both Stevenage and Wycombe were dead on their feet in extra time, and we weren't. Probably the fittest team in League two this year by a mile.

There is always the loan market to add a bit of quality during the season if needed, as we have done this year.

He still has a year left on his contract though, so would expect him to stay unless we get a decent offer.

Possibly, but I imagine that any offer would see him to go free up the wages to bring in another winger.

Spot on. A free transfer constitutes a "good offer" if Hurst is not in plans for next year. He must be towards the top of the list salary wise, multiply his weekly wage by 52 and a free transfer becomes a significant offer. Very few players are sold for a fee at this level any more.

For what it's worth I like Hurst as a player, but I think it might be time for him to move on...

why is there a barnard out especially when he has experience in league one and is one of few players that do
If Phil Brown doesn't think he is good enough to make the bench in League 2 why on earth would he keep him for League 1.

why is there a barnard out especially when he has experience in league one and is one of few players that do

Because since returning over a year ago, he has been a sack of ****. Next question please.

Coughlan has League 1 experience, should we wheel him out again for next season?

There is a war chest and it will enable us to sign some good players. Expect to see some of Phil's old boys too.

Eidur Gudjohnsen to become the new Shaun Goater....?? That would be nice.

I'd genuinely forgotten Barnard was still here until he popped up in a picture in an ice cream truck the other week.

Back