• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please don't get me wrong,Bentley is a highly promising YOUNG keeper who should continue to improve but either you've missed an awful lot of Southend games early on in your 40 years or you've badly cricked your neck turning your back on our goal when Mervyn Cawston made his 242 appearances.Obviously you also missed the immaculate (admittedly short) loan spells of John Burridge and Adam Federici.

Here here! Not knocking Dan in any way - he's a good prospect - but he's not the best we've seen at the hall. I'd add Simon Royce to those mentioned above.

Southend United manager Phil Brown confirms third bid from QPR for Daniel Bentley, bu

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has confirmed Queens Park Rangers have tabled a third for Blues’ goalkeeper Daniel Bentley.

More...

Please don't get me wrong,Bentley is a highly promising YOUNG keeper who should continue to improve but either you've missed an awful lot of Southend games early on in your 40 years or you've badly cricked your neck turning your back on our goal when Mervyn Cawston made his 242 appearances.Obviously you also missed the immaculate (admittedly short) loan spells of John Burridge and Adam Federici.

I can assure you I have seen a lot of games in 40 years and in MY opinion he is the best goalkeeper in the clubs history. Not sure how you can compare a brief loan spell of John Burridge (I saw all his home games for us) with a goalkeeper who has come through the ranks and breaks Mervyn Cawston clean sheet record (again I saw a lot of Mervyn 242 games for us including a lot of his howlers) and plays a huge part in us getting promoted. Clearly you must have missed a lot of games from last season if your bizarre comments are anything to go by.

I can assure you I have seen a lot of games in 40 years and in MY opinion he is the best goalkeeper in the clubs history. Not sure how you can compare a brief loan spell of John Burridge (I saw all his home games for us) with a goalkeeper who has come through the ranks and breaks Mervyn Cawston clean sheet record (again I saw a lot of Mervyn 242 games for us including a lot of his howlers) and plays a huge part in us getting promoted. Clearly you must have missed a lot of games from last season if your bizarre comments are anything to go by.

Agree.....plus...he's one of our own, which adds to the sense of pride we can have as his career develops.

NO ! You are wrong again!Last season I travelled to a lot of away games and missed only one at home-it was my mother's 100th birthday.
Drawing silly conclusions by counting clean sheets is an admittedly common but totally pointless procedure.There is no way that clean sheets are all about the goalkeeper.Anyone who understands the game knows that the WHOLE TEAM,not even just the whole defence can achieve clean sheets.A moderate keeper could have a long string of clean sheets thanks to the performance of the players in front of him. Also ,compared to the miserly present-day goals tallies,goals were flying in right,left and centre 30 odd years ago.

Mervs clean sheets were in consecutive home games and, tbh have always associated that run as the team not conceding at home.
Dans were not consecutive home games for the team, we conceded in his absence, which says to me it was less about the team and more about the keeper than the Smith team clean sheet run.

After the previous failed bids, I would have thought they would bid higher than 1.5m

All in all though, im pleased with the outcome.

Rumours doing the rounds that QPR want Alex Smithies for £1.5 million.

If QPR really want him they will be back. With Adrian getting sent off today for the Hammers, I wonder whether they will pay some attention Daniel's way. For the moment he is still our man and I don't think he looked out of salts today in any way.

Problem solved!!!

Back