• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stand them side by side and you can tell the difference. Smith is 3 years younger and Bentleys first full season was only last year.

Smith might be rated more highly in future potential (questionable), but not current ability.

That was his second full season he's played 100 games...

Here here! Not knocking Dan in any way - he's a good prospect - but he's not the best we've seen at the hall. I'd add Simon Royce to those mentioned above.

Royce was far better than Bentley. It isn't even close. That isn't a knock on Bentley at all - if he ends up having half the career that Royce did then he'll be doing well.

If QPR sign Smithies I think we will keep him at least until Jan.

If QPR sign Smithies I think we will keep him at least until Jan.

That doesnt suit us though, if he doesnt sign a new deal now we need to get rid.

January he will be approaching the end of his contract, we wont get anywhere near his value.

That doesnt suit us though, if he doesnt sign a new deal now we need to get rid.

January he will be approaching the end of his contract, we wont get anywhere near his value.

Bentley is not that guy, he would never do that to the club he loves and the club that made him what he is today.

Why would he sign? He more than deserves a crack at Championship level and has been very professional so far. If we prevent any chance of a move to QPR It wont do our finances or the club and Dans future any good. He could, with the right team be playing premiership football in 12 months time. That would be a great advert for our youth set-up. Meaning it might help sway a young lad who say has offers from a London club.

Why would he sign? He more than deserves a crack at Championship level and has been very professional so far. If we prevent any chance of a move to QPR It wont do our finances or the club and Dans future any good. He could, with the right team be playing premiership football in 12 months time. That would be a great advert for our youth set-up. Meaning it might help sway a young lad who say has offers from a London club.

He's a goalkeeper, if he was an outfield player I would agree with you. Look how long it has taken Jack Butland to hit the ground running. I think Bentley will benefit massively by having a season in league one and proving himself. The lad has a long future ahead of him another season with us is hardly going to harm him!

Simples, Would Dan would sign a contract extension with a release clause for a certain amount.

Say £2m, that way he ensures that he can further his career when the time comes and also that the club is safeguarding its financial future.

Personally I think £1.25m is an insult. 6 months or a year in League one getting rave reviews and you could probably double that (assuming he signed a contract of course!)

We need further investment further up the pitch. Whether we keep hold of Bentley or not, that won't result to much if we can't score bloody goals.

Royce was far better than Bentley. It isn't even close. That isn't a knock on Bentley at all - if he ends up having half the career that Royce did then he'll be doing well.

IMO Bentley is a better all-round 'keeper than Royce ever was. Bentley commands his area more, and has a much greater presence. Not only that, but Bentley's distribution is light years ahead of Royce's, which these days is far more important than it was in Royce's day.

The only area where I would say Royce is better is his actual shot stopping. In that area Royce was superb.

He's a goalkeeper, if he was an outfield player I would agree with you. Look how long it has taken Jack Butland to hit the ground running. I think Bentley will benefit massively by having a season in league one and proving himself. The lad has a long future ahead of him another season with us is hardly going to harm him!

Isn't that a contradiction?

Simples, Would Dan would sign a contract extension with a release clause for a certain amount.

Say £2m, that way he ensures that he can further his career when the time comes and also that the club is safeguarding its financial future.

Personally I think £1.25m is an insult. 6 months or a year in League one getting rave reviews and you could probably double that (assuming he signed a contract of course!)

It also means he gets a pay rise!

Bentley is not that guy, he would never do that to the club he loves and the club that made him what he is today.

Very much doubt he will sign a new deal seeing as he hasnt so far.

Not saying he should.

I think he does deserve to progress, and us selling him now is the right thing for both parties.

That would be nice if he did to repay Ricey's faith in humanity.

I hope if he doesnt get sold he does, but doubt it will come to that. Time will tell.

With all this talk about Dan and Ted being a long term replacement, it might be worth remembering that Ted's current contract only runs until the summer as well.

Back