• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The tree lined walkway from Sutton Road to the stadium looks very pleasant though. Very Wembley Way-esque!

Well I'm hopeful the company that manages £18.9 billion worth of Assets has more of an idea on what gets planning permission than you who manages most likely a 3-bed semi.

How insulting. I wish I had a 3-bed semi.
O.K. we will see. I am saying that Southend Council or the Government will make them revise the plans.

So the new plans are indeed like Orient, with flats in the corners of the ground. Shame it has gone back to the drawing board and my concern now is the project is just too big to get permission at local/government level as it is. This will take a very long time again to get past the red tape I think, with modifications needed.

There are flats in the corner, but are they solely on the outside? Doesnt matter if so and if it helps pay for the 4th stand thats surely a good thing.

A few people have said about being back to square one, whilst that means its a long road ahead thats far better than having no road at all.

We are now in a position where it may take a year or two to get agreed, whereas before we were pretty sure we were never going to get the stadium built at all.

So back to the beginning yes, but its a step forward from where we are, at least theres a plan now. Whether it gets agreed we will see.

I'm sure the stadium wasn't that close to the crematorium before. I could be wrong though. What is the large tract of undeveloped land to the east?

I think Ron has gone too big with this. Road access will need massive improvements, this is a huge development. Hard to tell if the access that comes off Sutton Road is a road or pedestrian walkway. Appreciate stadium parking is accessed from elsewhere, but Sutton Road will need improvements and there are properties along there.

There needs to be some sort of shuttle bus from Prittlewell station, which has not really got much room for that sort of thing and buses will struggle to turn left onto East Street. That junction is **** and will need upgrading. All part of the S106 the council will insist on, I imagine.

I'm sure the stadium wasn't that close to the crematorium before. I could be wrong though. What is the large tract of undeveloped land to the east?

I think Ron has gone too big with this. Road access will need massive improvements, this is a huge development. Hard to tell if the access that comes off Sutton Road is a road or pedestrian walkway. Appreciate stadium parking is accessed from elsewhere, but Sutton Road will need improvements and there are properties along there.

There needs to be some sort of shuttle bus from Prittlewell station, which has not really got much room for that sort of thing and buses will struggle to turn left onto East Street. That junction is **** and will need upgrading.

The stadium is pretty much where it was in the first plans. I think its the addition of the domes that make the site look closer to the Crem. The land to the East was always to be left undeveloped as it is some Bronze Age site. The access from Sutton Road looks to be pedestrian to me, which as you say will get massive objection from the residents on Sutton Road. Particularly those who last commented that we will all "**** on the graves in the crem"

Totally agree with you that it is now too big. I think Ron knows this as well and will be expecting that modifications will need to be made.

I like the walkway in, thats a nice touch, and its no where near the crematorium so if I want to **** on the graves it will be a bit of a trek.

I'm pretty ignorant about the whole FF development but I'm assuming that, due to the financial crisis, Ron's dream became the 'impossible dream'......even with the aid of Sainsburys. I assume the shrimp-form stadium is now condemned to the dustbin and a shiny new, bigger and better plan is being forwarded. Yes, it is virtually back to square one but with such big backers, it will, in this form or something very similar, ACTUALLY HAPPEN. Southend Council will perhaps find it difficult to swallow but on the other hand it's something too important for them to ignore or refuse, in terms of development of the town. Yes, believe it or not, Ron may eventually get us to the promised land.
Just three questions. What about the money we borrowed from Sainsburys......with this be swallowed up in this enormous project? What, if an, money streams will actually benefit the club? What will be our position regarding owning/renting the ground???

You would think with the flats built into the 4th stand would be built though.

You would think with the flats built into the 4th stand would be built though.

Agreed....eventually. Residential was always meant to be "phase 2" in the previous plans. But obviously these plans are significantly different. I guess it all hinges on whether the hotel company front the money to be part of the main stand. Although I cannot see the hotel marked anywhere on the plans.

There needs to be some sort of shuttle bus from Prittlewell station, which has not really got much room for that sort of thing and buses will struggle to turn left onto East Street. That junction is **** and will need upgrading. All part of the S106 the council will insist on, I imagine.

It would probably make sense to use Southend Airport station... A minor detail though.

So the new plans are indeed like Orient, with flats in the corners of the ground. Shame it has gone back to the drawing board and my concern now is the project is just too big to get permission at local/government level as it is. This will take a very long time again to get past the red tape I think, with modifications needed.

Do you have a link to the plans? I can't see them anywhere.

The documents with the scoping opinion suggested a huge increase in restaurant floorspace. This doesn't seem to be the case in the actual masterplan - perhaps the council have persuaded them to drop this?

This is potentially the biggest obstruction to planning permission because of the effect it would have on the High Street area. I can't remember the actual figures but I think the scoping opinion stated something like 10x the amount of restaurant floorspace that was included in the last full planning application.

The residential element probably won't be too much of an issue, as it seems to be built into the stadium and therefore won't have a big visual impact on the area. Plus planners are being told to approve housing developments now.

Questions I would like answered:

1. How will SUFC benefit from income stream? e.g Conferencing, Hotel income, Share of rents?

2. Will the Stadium plans allow for an increase in size should that become desirable?

3. What will SUFC's future indebtedness be? All written off, or carried forward?

4. Will the Stadium be the property of SUFC free and clear, or might we end up with a Coventry situation?

5. What does this mean for the Roots Hall site?

6. Has Pizza Man blown his chance of a big payday?

Sadly all this renders my article in the forthcoming AAS (out Saturday only £1!) pretty much inaccurate. Still buy it though, there's 31 other pages that are pretty much spot on...

Back