• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not to sure if we need any strikers either given the 4 we already have!

Ermmmm, personally, I only ever saw him play 45 minutes in the second half against Brighton back in August (I think it was) just a couple of days after he signed. Unfortunately, as you probably all well know, Mick is rather stubborn, and Smith and Berra will always start regardless of how they play/mistakes they make. Was always going to be tough for Pete. What have you made of him during his time with you?

He's extremely good at keeping the bench warm. He's spent most of his time on it so it's difficult to say if he's any good.

Have we all forgotten how Mick McCarthy ruined Freddy's career by stifling him/playing him out of position? Wouldn't advise Payne to play for him.

Ermmmm, personally, I only ever saw him play 45 minutes in the second half against Brighton back in August (I think it was) just a couple of days after he signed. Unfortunately, as you probably all well know, Mick is rather stubborn, and Smith and Berra will always start regardless of how they play/mistakes they make. Was always going to be tough for Pete. What have you made of him during his time with you?[/QUOTE]

Not good enough for L1 from the 2 games I saw.

Agreed. Maybe worth a punt for a L2 outfit.

Ermmmm, personally, I only ever saw him play 45 minutes in the second half against Brighton back in August (I think it was) just a couple of days after he signed. Unfortunately, as you probably all well know, Mick is rather stubborn, and Smith and Berra will always start regardless of how they play/mistakes they make. Was always going to be tough for Pete. What have you made of him during his time with you?

As others have said, he didn't really get the opportunities.

He looked OK in the air, from what I gather, as I missed his only home match.

We are short at centre-half, so as cover he might be OK, but sounds like he had limited chances to impress at your place, so we may be taking a punt with him.

As others have said, he didn't really get the opportunities.

He looked OK in the air, from what I gather, as I missed his only home match.

We are short at centre-half, so as cover he might be OK, but sounds like he had limited chances to impress at your place, so we may be taking a punt with him.

Mick's already made him available for transfer this summer, so he'll be on his way I imagine. Another centre half who I thought might have a chance of making it at Town is Josh Yorwerth, but he was made available for transfer at the same time as Pete. Played in the few League Cup games we had last season and looked decent, was then sent to Crawley and apparently looked decent there as well, might be one for yourselves to look at if you need cover there!

Nice to see an auction. Drive up the price maybe.

Unfortunately not if the player is out of contract. The club cant stop Jack signing for who ever he choses. If there is an auction it will be with wages offered to jack, not how much our club will get.

Mick's already made him available for transfer this summer, so he'll be on his way I imagine. Another centre half who I thought might have a chance of making it at Town is Josh Yorwerth, but he was made available for transfer at the same time as Pete. Played in the few League Cup games we had last season and looked decent, was then sent to Crawley and apparently looked decent there as well, might be one for yourselves to look at if you need cover there!

Sounds promising. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe we could offer Ipswich Jack in exchange for Josh Yorwerth & Piotr Malarczyk and £100k in our favour just to seal the deal. come on Phil lets do this deal early.

Maybe we could offer Ipswich Jack in exchange for Josh Yorwerth & Piotr Malarczyk and £100k in our favour just to seal the deal. come on Phil lets do this deal early.

I think Mick would probably for that to be honest ... just whether Phil Brown would your end!

Unfortunately not if the player is out of contract. The club cant stop Jack signing for who ever he choses. If there is an auction it will be with wages offered to jack, not how much our club will get.

Actually no- if it goes to tribunal account is taken of any offers from other clubs ( one of the criteria)

Last edited by a moderator:

True enough, but the more clubs after him, the higher a tribunal will set the fee.

EDIT: Sorry Kent, didn't see your post

Last edited:
Have we all forgotten how Mick McCarthy ruined Freddy's career by stifling him/playing him out of position? Wouldn't advise Payne to play for him.

I would say one person alone was responsible for Freddy's career stagnating at Wolves (and subsequently Coventry), and that person is not Mick McCarthy.

Given Ipswich's attacking options I suspect Payne would struggle to command a first team place there but a number of players will have prospered under McCarthy (Aaron Creswell for example??) and Payne does look to have a professional attitude and good work ethic.

Jack Payne has looked good the second half of this season but when you look at the squads for the top half championship teams it does highlight what he is up against. Huddersfield would seem a better fit for him now

I would say one person alone was responsible for Freddy's career stagnating at Wolves (and subsequently Coventry), and that person is not Mick McCarthy.

Given Ipswich's attacking options I suspect Payne would struggle to command a first team place there but a number of players will have prospered under McCarthy (Aaron Creswell for example??) and Payne does look to have a professional attitude and good work ethic.

Jack Payne has looked good the second half of this season but when you look at the squads for the top half championship teams it does highlight what he is up against. Huddersfield would seem a better fit for him now

Not sure whether this has any bearing on any kind of deal or not, but just found out via the ITFC forum I use, that McCarthy and Phil Brown are best of friends? And that's also a reason why we've played several behind closed door games against each other this season.

Not sure whether this has any bearing on any kind of deal or not, but just found out via the ITFC forum I use, that McCarthy and Phil Brown are best of friends? And that's also a reason why we've played several behind closed door games against each other this season.

Yes they are good mates, hence the activity between clubs.

Huddersfield leading race for Payne's signature

HUDDERSFIELD Town are favourites to sign Southend United’s attacking midfielder Jack Payne.

More...

Back