• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So the Spain date is........?

The club haven't booked their flights yet because lets face it we don't know who will be going. They have a set few days when to go but don't want to announce it publicly because its not 100%.

Like I posted earlier they will play behind closed doors, so not worth going. They do have two Spanish clubs lined up as possibilities.

Essex Police would take a very dim view if we were to line up Colchester in a friendly. If I remember rightly we did something like that in the mid-90s and it all kicked off.

It's a friendly. That attitude in itself just explains football to a tee. No problem with the Rugby lads doing this amongst many other sports but football and oh no. Just get over it. It's a West Ham XI coming to play in the Summer aimed at both sides imrpoving their fitness. Let's just enjoy the occasion. If you get that riled about West Ham scoring a goal in a pre-season friendly then you need to chill out. That's not specifically aimed at you only the first part due to your 'don't be a pr1ck' comment.

It will be happening to west ham in their own ground every other week to be fair next season so they'll get a taste of their own medicine. No way have those 50,000 season tickets all gone to their own fans :smile:

Some of you comment that it will only be a Wet Spam x1 but wont it also be Southend x1 as im sure even PB wont know his starting team and will be playing some of the under 21s etcand maybe some trialists too.As for the friendlies against GWR,CI AND BRAINTREE ,i think its good tht we foster good relationships with these clubs.

Some of you comment that it will only be a Wet Spam x1 but wont it also be Southend x1 as im sure even PB wont know his starting team and will be playing some of the under 21s etcand maybe some trialists too.As for the friendlies against GWR,CI AND BRAINTREE ,i think its good tht we foster good relationships with these clubs.
No, actually, our pre-season is normally about getting our players to match fitness. He might use a few of those who are on the edge of the squad like Nico Cotton, for example, but he - and Sturrock before him - is unlikely to use players who are just in the U21s.

No, actually, our pre-season is normally about getting our players to match fitness. He might use a few of those who are on the edge of the squad like Nico Cotton, for example, but he - and Sturrock before him - is unlikely to use players who are just in the U21s.
Apart from the GWR friendly last year, where we fielded all U21 players.

Hopefully we'll see games added against Orient again, Ipswich maybe Replacing the charlton game from last year, wouldn't mind daggers again either.

Must have a couple against better opposition (doesn't include a WHXI) to really test ourselves before the season kicks off. Just playing the local teams won't do us much good in terms of seeing where we are.

You seem to be totally misunderstanding how this all works
SUFC has a God given right to play teams in a higher division- those teams should be 'helping us out'.
We have no obligation to 'help out 'teams below us in the pyramid. Your point is reasonable and sensible and has no place on this board.:

Last edited:
Had heard that another Prem team would be lined up hopefully. What about Colchester or Daggers as well? Would be quite happy with either of those :winking: #oneteaminEssex

My thoughts too OBL, I know you lot would be taking the mickey about our relegation, but at least there would be a reasonable turnout and a bit of atmosphere.

Essex Police would take a very dim view if we were to line up Colchester in a friendly. If I remember rightly we did something like that in the mid-90s and it all kicked off.

Ha ha I was at that one Jai but that was the 90s, I don't really think it would be that much of an issue now, but at least there would be a bit of bite to the atmosphere compared to other dull friendlies that I can't even be bothered to attend any more.

You seem to be totally misunderstanding how this all works
SUFC has a God given right to okay teams in a higher division- those teams should be 'helping us out'.
We have no obligation to 'help out 'teams below us in the pyramid. Your point is reasonable and sensible and has no place on this board.:

We certainly should be playing games against the county's lower league sides; important we give them our support, just as we would like to get a bit of support from teams above us in the league.

The general gripe is more that it always seems to be the same teams we play year-in, year-out. A little variety wouldn't go amiss.

We certainly should be playing games against the county's lower league sides; important we give them our support, just as we would like to get a bit of support from teams above us in the league.

The general gripe is more that it always seems to be the same teams we play year-in, year-out. A little variety wouldn't go amiss.

I guess it's simply not having to pay for transportation & hotels. A friendly at a local side means the players can drive to it themselves. Do they claim expenses for travel?

I guess it's simply not having to pay for transportation & hotels. A friendly at a local side means the players can drive to it themselves. Do they claim expenses for travel?

I'm not suggesting playing loads of games outside of Essex though. Swapping (say) Canvey for Concord or Braintree for Chelmsford wouldn't be a huge stretch. Just mixing it up a bit.

I appreciate the teams I've used in these examples aren't in the same divisions, but my knowledge of Essex's lower league scene is fairly patchy and I'm happy to keep it that way...

Back