• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

something that nobody has mentioned on here in this thread is the standard of pitches. most clubs choose their non league friendlies very carefully and one of the major considerations is the standard of the pitch. thats often why you see the same clubs most years. i know for example that a couple of years back witham town had friendlies lined up with braintree and colchester, but on seeing the playing surface braintree 'rested' all but 2 first team players, playing triallists instead, and colchester turned the first team around and called in the u21s to play on it.

something that nobody has mentioned on here in this thread is the standard of pitches. most clubs choose their non league friendlies very carefully and one of the major considerations is the standard of the pitch. thats often why you see the same clubs most years. i know for example that a couple of years back witham town had friendlies lined up with braintree and colchester, but on seeing the playing surface braintree 'rested' all but 2 first team players, playing triallists instead, and colchester turned the first team around and called in the u21s to play on it.

...... but, in the past, SUFC first team have regularly played these fixtures irrespective of the pitches. It is a real blow , especially as many hundreds of Shrimper fans travel miles to attend -- surely they deserve to see the best team available, or is it just the club taking the pee ?

So what is a Southend first team XI?

For some friendlies the club can put out a different 11 for each half ............ and I don't remember many people complaining about that.

But I do agree that it is bad form when a "Southend XI" turns out to be an Under 21 team in all but name.

For some friendlies the club can put out a different 11 for each half ............ and I don't remember many people complaining about that.

You fully expect that the first few games as none of them are up to playing much longer than a 45. You might get a couple of the very fittest ones do an hour but it's not usual.

Seems like today's result will mean that Millwall will not be featuring on our pre-season list.

Didn't we play a Spurs Under 21 team last year as part of the preparations? Wonder if Brown will try that approach again to sharpen up the players.

When I go to a friendly I dont want to see the first team, most of whom I already know. I want to see troupes of left sided Brazilian midget trialists and pacy, exotically named youth players with a terrible first touch. Personally I am left feeling short-changed if I don't see a ten minute cameo from a barrel chested striker whose last professional outing was as a substitute for a third tier Dutch side in 2011.

When I go to a friendly I dont want to see the first team, most of whom I already know. I want to see troupes of left sided Brazilian midget trialists and pacy, exotically named youth players with a terrible first touch. Personally I am left feeling short-changed if I don't see a ten minute cameo from a barrel chested striker whose last professional outing was as a substitute for a third tier Dutch side in 2011.

You must feel "short-changed" quite regularly then. :smiles:

I'm quite taken by the trialists who, with no pressure on them, take a pop at goal .... and lo and behold, one goes in from a superb distance/after some tricky footwork etcetera ..... leading to cries of "sign him up for 5 years and don't worry about the money either" despite the history pointing to the player being a crock/lunatic/drug addict etcetera.

Hash tag: It'sallgoodfun

You must feel "short-changed" quite regularly then. :smiles:

I'm quite taken by the trialists who, with no pressure on them, take a pop at goal .... and lo and behold, one goes in from a superb distance/after some tricky footwork etcetera ..... leading to cries of "sign him up for 5 years and don't worry about the money either" despite the history pointing to the player being a crock/lunatic/drug addict etcetera.

Hash tag: It'sallgoodfun
True... But Ryan Leonard's screamer from the half way line on the volley against Great Wakering on trial in 2011 didn't work out too badly for us.

Back