• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worrall to leave Blues after rejecting contract offer

They come, they go - it's the way of things at nearly all clubs world wide - it's called football and the drama is one of the reasons we all involved. I liked Worrall but didn't know him personally so won't worry too much about him leaving and that goes for all of them - they're soccer players not family members.

Go back and look at the posts again RHB. Any criticism of Brown is always met by criticism of the poster or the post, not with reasoned debate. Even to the extent of one of the Mods lumping all criticism of Brown as coming from an anti-brigade, i.e. as coming from people with an Anti Brown agenda who are therefore not worth arguing with. It seems to me that people are swayed by Brown the personality rather than looking at the evidence, especially the evidence of the last two months of the season.

I'm swayed by the first six months of last season and the promotion the season before that rather than the last 8 weeks of the season.
Some worried because PB couldn't convice Bentley and Payne to stay....what dreamy nonsense. This is how those conversations went
Payne agent: thanks for your offer of 85k a year but Huddersfield are offering 150k a year for three years.
SUFC: we can't match that
Payne agent: cheerio

I'm swayed by the first six months of last season and the promotion the season before that rather than the last 8 weeks of the season.
Some worried because PB couldn't convice Bentley and Payne to stay....what dreamy nonsense. This is how those conversations went
Payne agent: thanks for your offer of 85k a year but Huddersfield are offering 150k a year for three years.
SUFC: we can't match that
Payne agent: cheerio

865.jpg

I'll take it!

Worrall's motivation for moving aside, this is yet another key first team player departing that will need replacing.

This summer is quickly becoming Brown's most important in charge of us and perhaps our most important since Sturrock first arrived. It's rapidly becoming apparent that Brown's going to have to effectively acquire a whole side in two months.

I also heard this happened on at least two occasions, i am also led to believe that some of this issue was linked to the very sad and unfortunate death of his son. It doesnt make it right, but anyone who has children can only begin to understand his trauma. Maybe moving on would be best for him, start a fresh etc

If, as you've mentioned, the events whilst here have affected him, then moving on to a fresh start is maybe what he and his family needs. Nobody can understand how he felt during that traumatic time or the effect on him even today. I wish him and his family well.

There is a lot of unrest in the changing room due to certain things happening on and off the pitch.

One example, I can't remember the game but Deegan got a yellow card right at the start of the second half and Brown took him off. The reason this happened was because Brown told Deegan to put a big tackle in on a certain player as he was influencing the game and Deegan wasn't tackling hard enough. Deegan does as he's told and then gets taken off, which caused a bit of a row after the game between Brown and a couple of players . There's a lot going on we don't know about.

But you do. Tell us more...

But you do. Tell us more...

Quite we have been waiting for any evidence to support these types of speculation in vain. In the end people would have more credibility if their desperation to criticise the manager didn't apply to virtually every subject and every opportunity..

We are L1 our best players will often move on to the Championship or higher if they can- the difference in wages is very significant as well as it being a higher level. Applies to every club in the division- from our squad it looks as if we may lose TWO players who we really want to keep and will find it difficult to replace. Worrall we wanted to keep but IMO is very replaceable. This is not bad going.

The difference regarding recruitment this season and last is that we are established in L1 and are in a better position to attract new players. My analysis on where we stand will come when the ins and out are completed.

The joys of being a Shrimper fan. We have to throw it all back together again almost every year. The fragile existence of being a player at our level, means short contracts, not big money, potential short "shelf life" Who can blame any player for leaving under the circumstances most of them are in. The chance to play at a bigger club, at a higher level, with all the potential "knock-ons " must be tempting for any young player. Decisions to leave for 500 pound extra a week, for a 3 year contract instead of one or two, or to be closer to home are all valid reasons at our level.

The worrying thing about all this, is that the players mentioned above are maybe our best players, and there leaving, will we get there quality on the open market, not at the wages we are paying.

That is also my main worry. We are as everyone knows are in a worrying financial state, as another recent HMRC winding up order showed. It was always going to be the case that our ability to compete would be difficult with other clubs concerning wages and this will be even more so losing these players. Players rightly will be lead by who pays the higher salaries and I don't think our position financially has improved at all much now having to pay higher ones in League 1.

Another player not wanting to play for PB any more

As much as we don't like to see these comments, i know this is the case.

Brown wanted the Bolton job & made no bones about hiding it, now that aint happening, the players know he don't wanna be around too much........

The club, on the playing side, is in disarray...

Last edited:
I like Brown and want to keep him

On the plus he couldn't surely have done better than gain promotion and consolidate our position in league one, exactly what was probably asked of him.
When he came he restructured the club considerably, improving player facilities utilising all his experience, including the solid background team
I love his enthusiasm and commitment, the immense time he gives and the profile he offers the club

on the downside, his overall track record on recruitment so far is fairly poor, which is a big worry for next year, I hope he gets it right. He also fiddles to much with team shape and systems , struggled to get his best side and his public slating of players isn't great .Sometimes his tactics become too defensive

Hows that for fair balance?

Brian is getting fed up reading the 'brown vs sturrock ' threads in here and people saying sturrock was better as he had to completely rebuild the team. He is deliberately alienating players so they don't stay. This gives him the opportunity to build a team from scratch and better sturrock achievements and win any further debates on here

As much as we don't like to see these comments, i know this is the case.

Brown wanted the Bolton job & made no bones about hiding it, now that aint happening, the players know he don't wanna be around too much........

The club, on the playing side, is in disarray...

Yet we have been told by others who equally are close to the club, and were proved right about PB not leaving, that in fact he was making it quite clear he did not want to leave and was staying?

So why should anyone believe what you say over anyone else just because you keep saying its true but with nothing to back it up?

And now you come out and say the club on the playing side is in disarray? Really?? How, what evidence??

In reality anyone can make absolutely anything up, and regrettably they increasingly are, just to support their own prejudiced starting point. Frankly now I just take it all with a pinch of salt and am inclined to believe none of it until it comes from a credible source. I have decided who I tend to believe on here (and that has served me well tbh, and so I continue to be interested in what they say).

Just to be clear I have no secret sources, no particular inside knowledge at the club, and will be making no posts to represent this otherwise.

Please can we sign somebody soon...I get Fleetwood aren't champions elect, but they've moved and signed 5 players to date.
I get budgetary constraints, awaiting :zzzzz: :zzzzz: tribunal money for Payne and Bentley, getting the right players in etc....but by releasing 5-7 at the end of the season surely makes cash available ?

Please can we sign somebody soon...I get Fleetwood aren't champions elect, but they've moved and signed 5 players to date.
I get budgetary constraints, awaiting :zzzzz: :zzzzz: tribunal money for Payne and Bentley, getting the right players in etc....but by releasing 5-7 at the end of the season surely makes cash available ?

We are looking at a number of players, problem is the players we want are probably being chased by a number of clubs. I look at the transfers already gone through and how many of these players would we have been interested in signing? Of Fleetwood's 5 new players are there any we would have wanted? I agree it will be good to see some positive new on arrivals sooner rather than later- but I would rather us be patient and get the right players.

In the end we will only be able to judge at the beginning of the new season..

Yet we have been told by others who equally are close to the club, and were proved right about PB not leaving, that in fact he was making it quite clear he did not want to leave and was staying?

So why should anyone believe what you say over anyone else just because you keep saying its true but with nothing to back it up?

And now you come out and say the club on the playing side is in disarray? Really?? How, what evidence??

In reality anyone can make absolutely anything up, and regrettably they increasingly are, just to support their own prejudiced starting point. Frankly now I just take it all with a pinch of salt and am inclined to believe none of it until it comes from a credible source. I have decided who I tend to believe on here (and that has served me well tbh, and so I continue to be interested in what they say).

Just to be clear I have no secret sources, no particular inside knowledge at the club, and will be making no posts to represent this otherwise.

He didn't come out and say this until after Bolton turned him down

But contracts aren't up yet and we won't be giving fees ... These guys will come when contracts are expired and no fees involved

It's definitely a huge summer for the club. We need to replace a lot of quality if we're to avoid a struggle next season.
I agree , but it makes for plenty of talking points .......and makes Southend the club that it is...

Back