• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Local Elections

I predicate that the Monster Raving Looney Party will poll more votes in the GE than UKIP... or are they the same party?

My take on Thursday's local and mayoral elections.

UKIP got wiped out as their vote transferred to the Conservatives who have become UKIP. Theresa May has stated the GE is about Brexit and has said very little else so effectively they too have become a one policy party.

The LibDems as the Remain party I would have expected to make big gains as they pick up a chunk of the 48%, but that has failed to materialise.

So you are left a choice really of Conservatives or Labour - they continue to be the two main parties. And partly due to the UKIP transferred votes Labour have continued to be a way off the Tories in the local elections in large chunks of England and made no improvement in Scotland. But - Labour increased their majority of seats in Doncaster and Swansea and retained control of Cardiff and Newport along with other Welsh towns and gains in Cambridge.

Labour won in Liverpool (59%) and Manchester (63% of the vote) to add to the London Mayoralty where collectively the represent 12.5 million people. Plus
Labour took 56% of the vote in the North Tyneside Mayoralty, and control the Mayoralties in Middlesbrough, Leicester, Bristol.

There are millions of people voting Labour. Yes they are concentrated in cities but I feel more in tune with city folk.

I'm in a good mood. I'm traveling back from Bethnal Green where I have been to see Japanese hardcore band Otoboke Beaver who were wild and loving life. I've arrived at Morden 2 mins before the night bus and I'm going to sleep happy and wake up in time to canvas in Croydon at 10am. And I will look enthusiastic, because I am, because Labour have a long list of good progressive policies that I am happy to discuss with complete strangers. I just can't imagine having that enthusiasm or sense of purpose if I was a Tory.

So some big wins for Labour on Thursday. Not as many wins as the Tories but more than enough to work with. The country is pretty much split between the cities and the rest. I've picked my side and I'm happy to give my time to work on the outskirts of the city and see what can be achieved.

Good luck to ***, I've been there myself. I mean you drop a couple of 'little fellas' on good night out and you love the world and everyone in it. Reality completely vanishes.....Lets hope the come down isn't to severe today.:winking:

My take on Thursday's local and mayoral elections.

UKIP got wiped out as their vote transferred to the Conservatives who have become UKIP. Theresa May has stated the GE is about Brexit and has said very little else so effectively they too have become a one policy party.

The LibDems as the Remain party I would have expected to make big gains as they pick up a chunk of the 48%, but that has failed to materialise.

So you are left a choice really of Conservatives or Labour - they continue to be the two main parties. And partly due to the UKIP transferred votes Labour have continued to be a way off the Tories in the local elections in large chunks of England and made no improvement in Scotland. But - Labour increased their majority of seats in Doncaster and Swansea and retained control of Cardiff and Newport along with other Welsh towns and gains in Cambridge.

Labour won in Liverpool (59%) and Manchester (63% of the vote) to add to the London Mayoralty where collectively the represent 12.5 million people. Plus
Labour took 56% of the vote in the North Tyneside Mayoralty, and control the Mayoralties in Middlesbrough, Leicester, Bristol.

There are millions of people voting Labour. Yes they are concentrated in cities but I feel more in tune with city folk.

I'm in a good mood. I'm traveling back from Bethnal Green where I have been to see Japanese hardcore band Otoboke Beaver who were wild and loving life. I've arrived at Morden 2 mins before the night bus and I'm going to sleep happy and wake up in time to canvas in Croydon at 10am. And I will look enthusiastic, because I am, because Labour have a long list of good progressive policies that I am happy to discuss with complete strangers. I just can't imagine having that enthusiasm or sense of purpose if I was a Tory.

So some big wins for Labour on Thursday. Not as many wins as the Tories but more than enough to work with. The country is pretty much split between the cities and the rest. I've picked my side and I'm happy to give my time to work on the outskirts of the city and see what can be achieved.

I'm guessing you had quite a few to drink at the gig?

Two ciders and an Essex pale ale. No illegal substances. I have the ability to be enthusiastic and positive. I think a lot of that attitude stems from my politics.

Positive about the Labour performance in the local elections? I have always admired your commitment but this is just delusional.

Positive about the Labour performance in the local elections? I have always admired your commitment but this is just delusional.

I agree on the commitment part as it is good that someone is passionate in what they believe but yes it is deluded. Even McDonnell has said on the radio this morning that the result was "Terrible". Also it seems that all the other parties including the EU seem to be pushing more people to vote Conservative. A rally to celebrate the victory for Andy Burnham has been organised by Momentum and they haven't even invited Burnham! The Greens and Lib Dems making a pact on voting and Junker and his speeches. May doesn't need to campaign, all the other parties are doing the job for her.

Whilst Labour won two heartland Mayoral elections they also lost two comfortably, West Midlands and Teeside. These should have been easy wins for a party that have been in opposition for seven years but as the result shows this was the best a governing party had done for over forty years. I think the North East could be a very interesting pointer to the GE, especially as it is a traditional Labour heartland.

As a remainer, I am saddened that we're leaving the EU but I respect the wishes of the majority. I firmly believe that we need a strong government to guide us through the next 5 years. I would much prefer to see a coalition of the best brains (as we did in the war) but as that won't happen we need to chose carefully but the answer is most certainly not Jeremy Corbyn.

Last edited:
As a remainer, I am saddened that we're leaving the EU but I respect the wishes of the majority. I firmly believe that we need a strong government to guide us through the next 5 years. I would much prefer to see a coalition of the best brains (as we did in the war) but as that won't happen we need to chose carefully but the answer is most certainly not Jeremy Corbin.

And it's my belief that the EU couldn't care less how "strong" the UK government is perceived to be by its domestic electorate.

positive about the policies that have been announced - real progressive ways to improve people's lives and tackle the stagnation that is creeping in to our systems. As I said at length - the local results were not good on the whole but they were in Manchester, Liverpool, Tyneside, Cardiff, Swansea, Doncaster, Cambridge. In some of those the Labour vote was over 50%.

As a Southend United fan I have learned that you take the knocks and you carry on and when you are involved you are part of something worthwhile. I canvassed from 10am to 1pm and did not meet one person who was not voting Labour or willing to be persuaded. May assumes a landslide - she may be right she may be wrong, there are a lot of people actively trying to make her wrong.

positive about the policies that have been announced - real progressive ways to improve people's lives and tackle the stagnation that is creeping in to our systems. As I said at length - the local results were not good on the whole but they were in Manchester, Liverpool, Tyneside, Cardiff, Swansea, Doncaster, Cambridge. In some of those the Labour vote was over 50%.

As a Southend United fan I have learned that you take the knocks and you carry on and when you are involved you are part of something worthwhile. I canvassed from 10am to 1pm and did not meet one person who was not voting Labour or willing to be persuaded. May assumes a landslide - she may be right she may be wrong, there are a lot of people actively trying to make her wrong.

I agree, some of Labours annoucements are good, very good in fact but the fact remains that Corbyn is unpopular and this election is about brexit which I think is defecting away from the real issues which to be fair, Corbyn is trying to address.

If this was a GE in normal cirumstances then I really think people would be more warming to what he is trying to say but thats not the case with this one. Also, he has certain idiots around him (Abbott alert) who make the party look inept but he backed her up which gives me the impression that allies, however incompitant are better than intelligence.

Sorry mate, I admire your committment but Labour are on a hiding to nothing this time round and for what its worth, I don't think thats a good thing.

And it's my belief that the EU couldn't care less how "strong" the UK government is perceived to be by its domestic electorate.

Which is just one of the reasons we decided as a nation to leave. They never have given a toss what sovereign nations either want, need or deserve. All they've ever cared about is growing the federal superstate ideal and be damned the wishes and needs of an individual nation.

Like others I to wish to God we had a decent opposition party. Sadly we don't. I would have had a lot more respect for JC if he'd just sacked DA and come out and said he can't have that weakness in his shadow cabinet. By not doing so he's been seen as more or less condoning ineptitude within his own ranks.

Like others I to wish to God we had a decent opposition party. Sadly we don't. I would have had a lot more respect for JC if he'd just sacked DA and come out and said he can't have that weakness in his shadow cabinet. By not doing so he's been seen as more or less condoning ineptitude within his own ranks.
its so very odd that people obsess over the opposition yet don't seem bothered that the government are supremely *****

its so very odd that people obsess over the opposition yet don't seem bothered that the government are supremely *****

I'm very bothered by that. Every government - not least this one - should have a strong opposition but people are busier laughing at this one rather than taking them seriously.

I'm very bothered by that. Every government - not least this one - should have a strong opposition but people are busier laughing at this one rather than taking them seriously.

It's the government of the day which is responsible for governing not HMO.Labour have put forward a number of policy proposals already, (more to follow in the manifesto launch next week), which deserve to be taken seriously by the British public.Those who think that the 2017 G/E is only about Brexit are making a mistake.

It's the government of the day which is responsible for governing not HMO.Labour have put forward a number of policy proposals already, (more to follow in the manifest launch next week), which deserve to be taken seriously by the British public.Those who think that the 2017 G/E is only about Brexit are making a mistake.

Thanks for the politics lesson!

They have indeed put some interesting policies forward. But too few people think Corbyn can lead the country. They see McDonnell on a platform next to a hammer and sickle flag (despite him claiming not to know about it). They see that quarter-wit Abbott. And they think - no way can we let this lot govern the country.

Predicting that Labour will do well in this GE because that's what you want to happen is a bit like me predicting that Southend will win the FA Cup next year.

Thanks for the politics lesson!

They have indeed put some interesting policies forward. But too few people think Corbyn can lead the country. They see McDonnell on a platform next to a hammer and sickle flag (despite him claiming not to know about it). They see that quarter-wit Abbott. And they think - no way can we let this lot govern the country.

Predicting that Labour will do well in this GE because that's what you want to happen is a bit like me predicting that Southend will win the FA Cup next year.

Don't think I've predicted anywhere "that Labour will do well in the G/E".Though as you say, it's certainly what I "want to happen".In fact there's still everything to play for.As *** has pointed out, Labour did reasonably well in the big cities,especially in the North (and elsewhere).Given that turnout in the local elections was about 30% and in a G/E it'll be at least double that,there are still a lot of votes to fight for.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39828550

PS As far as SUFC are concerned,I'm more than happy if we can get one of the big boys in the third or fourth round every year.Having seen us play away at Mansfield in the 5th round in 68/9 and more recently away at Sheff Wed. in 1993 ,experience tells me we're unlikely to ever get beyond that stage.

Last edited:
Back