• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bournemouth 1972 Best.jpgBournemouth 1972 fans.jpgBournemouth 1972 goal.jpg

On this day 1972, Bournemouth 2 SUFC 0.
Billy Best hits the post.
Blues fans behind the goal?

The middle picture I can pick out John ,Rip , and Charlie Welham also Bob , Rip, Jennings . Pete Masalanker , George Pritcher , Steve Scarrot and Barry Hales .

The middle picture I can pick out John ,Rip , and Charlie Welham also Bob , Rip, Jennings . Pete Masalanker , George Pritcher , Steve Scarrot and Barry Hales .

i was in that end as well,as a 15 year old.
Never rememberthat many B&Bfc fans in that end
Remember all the trouble,3 B&bfc fans standing very near me,thenstarting to " Bournemouth boot boys rule allllll"
That was the end of them...i thought then what idiots.
Also i remember the England "man" mascot,forgot his name,top hat with a tash...walking in front of the Southend fans before the game,on the pitch side ,waving (he must have also been a B&bfc fan) and Southend fans trying to knock his top hat off.
That was one of those NEVER to be forgotten game....super MAC,super Mac..what a mucking TW!t

i also remember,coming back from that game,the coach stopped, so we could get something to eat.
It was a fish &chip shop,i did not have much money left(was a paper boy,please)..so in the shop was hanging a "sock-stocking",where those days you could put money into for RBL ,life boats etc...ihad not enough money for a meal...so i "borrowed" about 30-40 pence..from the "stocking"
We then (SUFC) went a bit off a poor run...i felt bad about it,so in the end,much later.
,Put the same amount back into a stocking-box....in the end our luck changed...and we got promotion....sorry..if i had not "borrowed" that money,we might have been champions
Happy days OS,memories..and great faces...good lads

Started off,as a 11 year old alone(AHHHH) in the South bank(west bank part),moving rather quickly a few games later to the North,again next to the West stand..watching the "PAK" partying,knowing that is where i wanted to be,even as an eleven year old...slowly moving ever nearer..then up the front of the "PAK" being pushed here and everywhere as the "PAK" pushed foreward..loving it...and one day ended up in the middle of the PAK..big sideburns,long hair,flared trousers..sometimes starting the singing or even the pushing forewards...what days,what times...dont regret a minute of it

Did much the same after being allowed to go on my own from the start of 63/64 season.
Back in the day, you could wander around three sides of the ground, although you may have had to pay a supplement to go into the West Stand until they opened it around an hour into the game.
Does anyone recall a shed in the top corner of West and North that passed as a club shop selling rosettes and the like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Started off,as a 11 year old alone(AHHHH) in the South bank(west bank part),moving rather quickly a few games later to the North,again next to the West stand..watching the "PAK" partying,knowing that is where i wanted to be,even as an eleven year old...slowly moving ever nearer..then up the front of the "PAK" being pushed here and everywhere as the "PAK" pushed foreward..loving it...and one day ended up in the middle of the PAK..big sideburns,long hair,flared trousers..sometimes starting the singing or even the pushing forewards...what days,what times...dont regret a minute of it[/QUOTE

Did much the same after being allowed to go on my own from the start of 63/64 season.
Back in the day, you could wander around three sides of the ground, although you may have had to pay a supplement to go into the West Stand until they opened it around an hour into the game.
Does anyone recall a shed in the top corner of West and North that passed as a club shop selling rosettes and the like?

Yes.Wasn't that the shop on the old North Bank where you could book away travel on the coaches too?

View attachment 4930View attachment 4931View attachment 4932

On this day 1972, Bournemouth 2 SUFC 0.
Billy Best hits the post.
Blues fans behind the goal?
Nick, you are a star putting these pics on!!
Photos 2 and 3 clearly show a mixture of Southend and Bournemouth fans behind the goal. Number 6 Keith Miller has presumably just scored (he got both that day), as you can see the Bournemouth fans cheering with arms raised, and a large group of glum Southend faces, a number of whom I can identify:-
There is a whole line of Westcliff High School upper-sixth form boys, just above the crossbar. Apart from myself sporting a long fair-haired fringe and matching ear coverers, there are Jeremy Kenward, John Taylor (Tat), Chris Mallam, Dave Woodland and a fellow behind me in glasses who I think was called Greg Reynolds.

I also spotted a guy called Kevin Kitchin who went on to run the Southend Supporters Club football team.

Apologies if this is boring for some, but it brings back great memories for me.

Thanks again, Nick.

indeed, helped out there for a bit, seem to remember an awful goalless draw against Bury where selling programmes was more entertaining than the game!

Yep, remember the old shop on the South Bank.

That Bury match could be the same one featured in the film 'Bl**dy Kids', IIRC?

indeed, helped out there for a bit, seem to remember an awful goalless draw against Bury where selling programmes was more entertaining than the game!

Was that the Bury game in 1971 when the only high point was John Connelly playing who 5 years before had been in the 1966 England World Cup winning squad .

Going back to the Bournemouth Cup Tie. I was only 9 and could not go to the game. However I remember a Uri Geller style guy who predicted the result and gave it to the Echo or Standard to keep until after the game. Sure enough he had 2-0 to Bournemouth.

Was that the Bury game in 1971 when the only high point was John Connelly playing who 5 years before had been in the 1966 England World Cup winning squad .
Correct!!, John Connelly also played and scored the first goal against us when we lost 2-0 at Gigg Lane on the 18th.December 1971. Bury were the only team that season(1971-72)that we failed to score against in the league. Also in the Bury line-up in both games that season was Terry McDermott who went onto play for Newcastle United, Liverpool & England.

Nick, you are a star putting these pics on!!
Photos 2 and 3 clearly show a mixture of Southend and Bournemouth fans behind the goal. Number 6 Keith Miller has presumably just scored (he got both that day), as you can see the Bournemouth fans cheering with arms raised, and a large group of glum Southend faces, a number of whom I can identify:-
There is a whole line of Westcliff High School upper-sixth form boys, just above the crossbar. Apart from myself sporting a long fair-haired fringe and matching ear coverers, there are Jeremy Kenward, John Taylor (Tat), Chris Mallam, Dave Woodland and a fellow behind me in glasses who I think was called Greg Reynolds.

I also spotted a guy called Kevin Kitchin who went on to run the Southend Supporters Club football team.

Apologies if this is boring for some, but it brings back great memories for me.

Thanks again, Nick.
Think the goalscorers that day were Ted MacDougall and Phil Boyer.

Back