• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin to hold talks with 'frustrated' Sol Campbell

playing devil's advocate, IF he hasn't contacted the players, who is to say he hasn't been told he isn't allowed to by RM or the club? It might not be his decision.

playing devil's advocate, IF he hasn't contacted the players, who is to say he hasn't been told he isn't allowed to by RM or the club? It might not be his decision.

Good question, but I’d ask why would other members of staff (such as Craig Fagan) be allowed to communicate, but not the senior management?

Good question, but I’d ask why would other members of staff (such as Craig Fagan) be allowed to communicate, but not the senior management?
Different people seem to be interpreting furlough in different ways, some of my clients are still conversing as normal, others literally won't answer a phone or email.

Different people seem to be interpreting furlough in different ways, some of my clients are still conversing as normal, others literally won't answer a phone or email.

You’re right, people are free to interpret it how they see fit, and as such, those who are worth their salt, will always stand out.

As has been mentioned by others, a basic display of humanity, would be to keep in contact with your employees/colleagues/team, in order to make sure they’re doing ok, and that they’re coping through all of this both physically & mentally. It shows a caring, positive & reassuring attitude, that a leader is supposed to have.

I can only speak from my own experience, but my employer has kept the entire workforce upto date, with a series of newsletters, statements, quizzes, advice & positivity pieces on a daily basis. Furthermore, they have made themselves available, at any time, to discuss any reasons, concerns or problems that an employee may have. They didn’t need to, but it’s cost them nothing, and has maintained a level of respect between the worker ants & the top brass.

I don’t want to comment on this situation too much, because it always leads to the usual questions of sources & reliability (despite myself & others’ proven track record), but I’ll just say I think a lot more could have been done, on the communication front, from the club. Specifically the first team management.

Last edited:
Ron Martin can’t tell Sol not to contact players on a personal level outside of “work”. Nor would he want to I’m sure. Furloughed staff can be contacted, they just can’t carry out any work for the company whilst on furlough. My company have changed our passwords so we can’t log on.

you only have RMs version of events here

no-one knows who phoned who and who did or did not pick up ro return the call..

I suspect RM loves league 2 - low wages and less competition ...

a low cost club while the other stuff is going on ... minimise the football expenditure as he did so well previously (zero'ed his costs and pocketed 5 million from sainsburys)

get rid of any ambition (Sol) and coast along selling any decent players and hope for some more big paydays in the ciup or wembley play offs etc ...

not my cupof tea but the supporters will suck it up and not a major impact on season ticket sales ...

hey ho .. intensely idssappointing for me

Has anyone questioned the reason why Sol may not have been in contact with his team?

It couldn’t be because he had the hump that his high wages were cut down to a mere £2.5k per month, could it?

You don’t think it’s because he knew he’d never manage another game for this club, and subsequently gave up the ghost, do you? Surely not.

I don’t know, I’m just posing questions.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I suspect RM loves league 2 - low wages and less competition ...

a low cost club while the other stuff is going on ... minimise the football expenditure as he did so well previously (zero'ed his costs and pocketed 5 million from sainsburys)

get rid of any ambition (Sol) and coast along selling any decent players and hope for some more big paydays in the ciup or wembley play offs etc ...

not my cupof tea but the supporters will suck it up

This makes absolutely no sense. Sol's team is reportedly one of the most expensive coaching teams we've ever had, if Ron is trying to save money as you are claiming why would he have hired Sol instead of just making the already employed Waddock the manager? Also unless Ron is fiddling the books plenty of shareholders who are entitled to view the accounts will be able to confirm that Ron has not zeroed the costs and we're losing money every month.

Has anyone questioned the reason why Sol may not have been in contact with his team?

It couldn’t be because he had the hump that his high wages were cut down to a mere £2.5k per week, could it?

You don’t think it’s because he knew he’d never manage another game for this club, and subsequently gave up the ghost, do you? Surely not.

I don’t know, I’m just posing questions.

I'll think you'll find it's per month

If he was expensive to hire then surely expensive to fire too? Maybe they'll be some mutual agreement then Ron will sell the club to Harry Redknapp who will install Benjani as head coach.

That's some pretty depressing reading. To add some balance and try to get my head around it (and without wanting to shoot the messenger), how do you know this? And what's going on that would make someone not reach out and connect with his team? Even the most aloof man would naturally be having conversations with his team - or so you'd think?

Ron took time to say "He [Sol]'s a very good person and a very dedicated guy" in his Echo interview (and he didn't have to by any stretch) so where's this all falling down?

In order to answer your question SBH, players let me know
Ron told us many many times the stadium was ready and maybe that part is coming true, and he always backs a manager to the end one thing you cannot fault him, but do we have believe everything he writes, think some of his stories have had the forum on meltdown

Players Instagram are torn a part , but subtle messages from a manager are laughed at

Whether you want to believe me is up to you and all posters, I will dip in now and then , with posts and if not for everyone taste block me as I have with some

Keep safe

In order to answer your question SBH, players let me know
Ron told us many many times the stadium was ready and maybe that part is coming true, and he always backs a manager to the end one thing you cannot fault him, but do we have believe everything he writes, think some of his stories have had the forum on meltdown

Players Instagram are torn a part , but subtle messages from a manager are laughed at

Whether you want to believe me is up to you and all posters, I will dip in now and then , with posts and if not for everyone taste block me as I have with some

Keep safe
Can't see why anyone would want to block you. As I purposefully said, no intent to shoot the messenger at all - just trying to understand the source as it definitely feels like dramas behind the scenes at the moment. Thanks for answering.

As for Ron's comments about Sol, it wasn't what he said but why he said it. Guess we'll only know the REAL what's and the why's when it's all played out.

This makes absolutely no sense. Sol's team is reportedly one of the most expensive coaching teams we've ever had, if Ron is trying to save money as you are claiming why would he have hired Sol instead of just making the already employed Waddock the manager?

"One of the most expensive coaching teams we've ever had" is a revealing phrase, but I'd suggest not in the way you are interpreting it. "One of" is a qualifier. What it actually tells us that this isn't the most expensive coaching team, otherwise the qualification would be unnecessary. And that's a surprising fact because inflation means that if you were earning the same wage as you were 5 or 10 years ago you'd have grounds to feel aggrieved for the lack of a payrise. The current management team should be, due to inflation alone, the most expensive management team we've ever assembled. That they're not, is noteworthy - although seeing as they came from L2 not necessarily surprising.

This makes absolutely no sense. Sol's team is reportedly one of the most expensive coaching teams we've ever had, if Ron is trying to save money as you are claiming why would he have hired Sol instead of just making the already employed Waddock the manager?

If he was expensive to hire then surely expensive to fire too?

It’s worth remembering that when we brought Sol and the team in, although our money issues were bad, nobody could predict how bad they would become in the following months.

On top of that, Ron had already earmarked certain high earners who would be axed, therefore freeing up some funds to work with in the long term.

Again, the key part was that nobody could have predicted that the short term would be so detrimental.

That being said, I do think this is another one of Ron’s financial mistakes. I appreciate that it’s easy for me to criticise because it’s not me in that situation, but even the most rose-tinted of fan can appreciate that a management team earning upto an alleged £25k per week, is simply living way beyond our means.

If he was expensive to hire then surely expensive to fire too?
Someone else mentioned it, but perhaps the reality of that changes once relegation to League 2 is confirmed. None of us know what is in place but you'd assume there would be clauses that change the framework on relegation whether it's relating to pay or retention of employment. Just a perception, but it does feel like the opening shots of a public separation might have been fired.

As much as I want Sol to succeed and as much as I think he *should* do fairly well in League 2, I have to regrettably say that it’s surely in the best interests of our club that he leaves this summer. It’s beyond crazy that we have such an expensive management team. Add in the seemingly strange disconnect between him and many players, then I think we just need to start at page one once again.

Back