• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fan and the Steward at Solihull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to say what the lad who was ejected did was right (running on the pitch in celebration & instead of celebrating with the team, goes up to the keeper & pushes him a few times… that is 100% NOT okay, and I hope police deal with that incident accordingly), but
First off Dan, if you think you have a serious and genuine point after using "but" as a qualifier, chances are you don't and you're just engaging in whataboutery. As you have yourself shared, there was a police officer coordinating with the member of the security team within seconds (as per the video) of the individual being restrained. If the officer saw that the steward was using reasonable force against an individual who had broken the law, then they will not interfere with the restraint of that individual.

We don't know, also, if the individual had attempted to or did assualt security staff when he was originally being ejected. Security staff, as could any person, may have been using their right to use "force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large" under Section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967 (look it up if you are unaware it exists. It could genuinely help you out one day).
I’ll admit I didn’t fully see how it all kicked off in that corner
Why haven't you just left it there? You're using footage of a selected moment in time, to form a sweeping judgement over why actions were taken. The police will be duty bound to lawfully report what they saw and justify actions they may or may not have taken.

If you can get in touch with Stuart, do share the video he took with the rest of us.

Isn’t the point here, if the lad hadn’t of run on in the first place then the rest doesn’t happen. The rights and wrongs of how the police/stewards handled it is another discussion but the lad shouldn’t have gone on the pitch and then when they tried to arrest him he legged it into the corner and the rest is what then followed. Not helped by around 30/40 other Southend fans running to get involved and what about the bench being kicked over? How was that helpful?

If you think some of our fans moaned today, Col Ewe's have gone into meltdown. They said it was one way traffic, attack against defence, and very lucky to only concede one. The stats back that up. 73% possession for Stockport. 21 shots against 2. But Wayne Brown was watching a different game in his interview. Twice he said the game was really close. Lol. The fans did not see it that way, and are fearing the worst this season.

If this ends up in court and this video is shown to the bench / judge the steward and the Police officer who was trying to block the fella trying to video the assault on the Southend supporter will be crapping themselves.....

If this ends up in court and this video is shown to the bench / judge the steward and the Police officer who was trying to block the fella trying to video the assault on the Southend supporter will be crapping themselves.....
Reasonable force is one thing, but that was definitely bordering on assault for sure

Whatever way you look at that footage, it doesn't put the club in a good light
I agree.

But there are different ways to restrain someone safely in a situation like that. All the methods used today by their stewards in that video, were nothing short of thuggery in my opinion. What the fan in question did, was unacceptable, and the decision to eject them was 100% the correct decision. “Restraining them” by forcefully pinning them to the ground with your knee & full body weight, is a disgusting way to treat anyone, irrespective of what they’ve done, and it should be rightfully investigated further in my opinion.

Some over the top reactions in this thread.

- person runs on pitch
- Person collard by stewards and rightly pinned down to constrain him
- some of our fans do the standard hard man bounce and jump around trying to “back him up”
- said person isn’t even arrested or held back and is free to travel home (sure words will be had at a later date)
- said person was happily seen in pub after game so obviously can’t be that hurt

Some stupid reactions on here

All of the above nonsense is a distraction from discussing a good point earned

A fan running on the pitch to confront a player, 100% in the wrong. That steward going well over the top and using excessive force, 100% in the wrong. That fan and the other fans were responding to the excessive force used. The police not telling the steward to ease up to diffuse the situation, 100% in the wrong.
Sorry, but with respect, there were what, two police there? Both surrounded by 40(?) blokes all trying to stage some BTEC insurrection. Are you honestly expecting them to turn around and judge exactly how the guy is being restrained?

The eventual outcome here is that the club are charged more going forward to provide a bigger police presence. Bit of an own goal isn't it.

So just for clarification, are you saying that the response from the stewards at Solihull (as seen in the video posted) was fair & justified?

To clarify to TBV, you have young followers amongst you who look up to you all who are supporters of the club for the future, you seem to think this is acceptable running onto the pitch..... Take a look at yourselves and your little crews for gods sake. Pathetic.

It's quite amazing how a thug has now become part of the WOKE Brigade.

Last edited:
To clarify to TBV, you have young followers amongst you who look up to you all who are supporters of the club for the future, you seem to think this is acceptable running onto the pitch..... Take a look at yourselves and your little crews for gods sake. Pathetic.
He didn't condone the fan running onto the pitch, totally the opposite in fact.

He does take issue with the treatment of the fan afterwards though, and with good reason

Very much over excessive force in my opinion. His head was repeatedly pushed onto the concrete floor, the had a heavy weight on his chest for a minute and on 34 seconds, the knee did go into the neck.

Way over the top in my opinion. The lad was calling for help yet the stewards kept at it
But its idiots like that "fan" that stop families with young children attending games. People like him and the Colchester deadbeats at Ipswich are a curse on our sport.

I think you will find they won’t. And probably the worst possible thing for this lad is for this sort of footage to be spread or the incident highlighted as it significantly increases the likelihood that they will feel action needs to be taken.

And probably there is a whole load of other footage, so if it gets there I suspect those to be worried grows a little wider that.

Best let sleeping dogs lie as they say.

I think you will find they won’t. And probably the worst possible thing for this lad is for this sort of footage to be spread or the incident highlighted as it significantly increases the likelihood that they will feel action needs to be taken.

And probably there is a whole load of other footage, so if it gets there I suspect those to be worried grows a little wider that.

Best let sleeping dogs lie as they say.
I think someone posted the fella was just chucked out and was down the Pub after...

No-one was hurt ...good

Anyway I am happy with the draw today :-)

Was expecting the worst today.

Not to say what the lad who was ejected did was right (running on the pitch in celebration & instead of celebrating with the team, goes up to the keeper & pushes him a few times… that is 100% NOT okay, and I hope police deal with that incident accordingly), but do you think this is an appropriate response from the stewards to the situation?

I’ll admit I didn’t fully see how it all kicked off in that corner in the above video (obvious reasons), but what I do know, is that there was a definite 30 second gap (minimum) between the lad running off, and the reaction from our fans.

Moving back to the game, a poor first half & a failure to clear our lines led to the first goal (hints of offside, but either way, that cannot excuse poor defending). The second half was a different story entirely; biggest turning point was when Lomas came on & Ralph pushed out wide. Wreh’s goal was very well taken, and a draw was the very least we deserved.
After watching that, i thought why was Spiderman getting involved on the left hand side?. Then i realised it was a heavily tattoed guy!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back