• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your favourite sending OFF?

I'm sure Bob and Dave Worthington got sent off at Brighton back in the 70's for fighting anyone who wanted it we lost 2-0

They did. Referee was the wretched Alan "Topsy" Turvey who now is the man in charge of the Ryman League. That's as high as his refereeing should ever have taken him.

Mark Rawle got taken out, so Leo Roget ran 50 yards to thump him, and then fell backwards a stuck his boot in Rawle's face before seeing red

I'm sure Bob and Dave Worthington got sent off at Brighton back in the 70's for fighting anyone who wanted it we lost 2-0

Well, they certainly both were in the team for that game - Bob was No. 3 and Dave was Sub. Whether though it was them both that got sent off I cannot tell immediately - I have looked at the programmes of that era and they report nothing about the match except for the result. I did note though that coach travel to Brighton cost a princely £1.00.

Why my interest? Well, it was my first ever SUFC away game. What a glorious start.:)

Big Derek Payne vs. David Speedie. 'Nuff said.

The obvious choice......and the right one.

My least favourite had to be The Bress and Gorgeous Gridelet being sent off at Burnley on New Year's Eve - short handed Blues hammered 5-1. Happy funking New Year.

My favourite has to be Neil Townsend late 70s or early 80s during some boring game which I can’t remember who we where play or what the score was. Townsend walks up to one of their players nuts him and just walks off before the ref could wave a card, their player sparked out on the half way line.

beat me to it - remeber that incident vividly - it was so calculated it was scary, but then NeilTownsend was pretty scary - was it against Northampton?

Lee Thorpe getting a straight red for elbowing David McSweeney at a throw in. Effectively ended the talentless c***'s Orient career, and obviously affected McSweeney's motor skills later in the game (we do, as you know, only need 10 men).

Not surprised to see none from the last couple of seasons! Moussa (Brighton), Scannell (Millwall), Bailey (Swansea), McCormack (Orient) and Clarke (Forest) have hardly had much banter about them. Mine would probably be Bullock even though one fan obviously wouldn't agree. THAT said, I'd probably find it quite a funny story to recall to friends.

Oh, actually, just remembered one in an LDV match, the opposition escapes me but I think it was on the way to the Brentford regional final. The ref seemed to forget he had booked the guy, me and my mates kindly reminded him and then got captured perfectly waving the player off the pitch on the highlights.

Last edited:
My favourite has to be Belgrave at orient. remember the day clearly, i was at the very front of the stand and suddenly heard Belgrave call the ref a c u next tuesday at the top of his voice.

Leon Clarke throwing a headbutt at Forest last season. Ended all hopes of getting a result on that cold night in the biggest dump of a town i've ever visited, but it was a move Phil Mitchell may have been proud of

Can't say it impressed me too much. If you can pretend it wasn't a headbutt at all (as Leon tried to do) then it wasn't done properly in the first place and, more to the point, it ruined our chances of getting anything from a game that had started very positively for us.

Was that not Kinstonian in the FA Cup 3rd Round...saying that knowing Leo he probably done it another time!!

Slightly bizarrely I played football with a Kingstonian fan last night. It seems that he got as much pleasure out of meeting as me as I tend to get from meeting Man Utd fans. At least it was a few years back now!

Many of my favourites have already been selected, but I've another one that sticks in the mind. In about 2001, we were at home to Kidderminster when Maher (I think!) was sent off, not uncontroversially.

We were losing at the time, but that seemed to really pump up the players and they came back to draw. I was delighted at the time, although I realise now that the notion of being pleased with a home draw against Kiddy shows how far we've moved on in the last few years.

I wish Maher was sent off in one game - at home, when their player was clean through, and Maher jogged back after him. He could easily have hacked him down, saved the certain goal and got sent off for the good of the team. But no, he jogged after him, they scored and won the game.

Napster said:
I wish Maher was sent off in one game - at home, when their player was clean through, and Maher jogged back after him.
That was probably Kev at full-pelt, just an optical illusion that he was jogging :)

I was delighted at the time, although I realise now that the notion of being pleased with a home draw against Kiddy shows how far we've moved on in the last few years.

Very true, but in the same time period Kiddy have done the opposite, so it's a bit of six of one half a dozen of the other.

Not Southend related but remember being at Wet Spam and Keith Robson was given a little tap on the ankles by George Burley, Robson calmly turned round and laid him out with the best Upper cut I have ever seen and calmly walked off the pitch! Took Burley about 5 minutes to recover!

I remember that well. Terrific punch by Robson (who was anutter anyway) laid out Burley and then just walked off without even waiting for the ref's decision.

Favourite SUFC was Lee Chapman in his one game for Blues (whilst on loan from West Ham) v Swansea in the 80's, scored a goal then was sent off. A pretty eventful one match to be remembered by that is for sure.

I remember that well. Terrific punch by Robson (who was anutter anyway) laid out Burley and then just walked off without even waiting for the ref's decision.

Favourite SUFC was Lee Chapman in his one game for Blues (whilst on loan from West Ham) v Swansea in the 80's, scored a goal then was sent off. A pretty eventful one match to be remembered by that is for sure.

Sorry but you are wrong about Lee Chapman, he made his one and only appearance at Blundell Park, Grimsby. He scored early in the game, but Blues succumbed to a 4-1 defeat. And he was not sent off.

Oh, hang on, how can we forget....

Mark Bentley away at Colchester. Rubbish at the time but singing "We've only got ten men" having just beaten your rivals away from home was superb!

Back