• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your favourite sending OFF?

Oh, hang on, how can we forget....

Mark Bentley away at Colchester. Rubbish at the time but singing "We've only got ten men" having just beaten your rivals away from home was superb!

That was one of the weirdest sendings-off I've ever seen. He got a straight red for successfully jumping over a studs-up 2 footed tackle. One of my best away games that one - Bramble looked up for it, and we beat them on pens too.

Was also going to mention Chrissy Powells red against Brescia I think it was. The only player on the pitch not to get involved, the only one to see a red card for the incident! Am I right that that's the only red card he's ever had?

Leo 'is it cos I is white?' Roget's sending off was also (in retrospect) hilarious. Not only was the act he was sent off for perpetrated by a white player (so how can you mistake the players?!) but at the time the incident happened 30 yards away the ref was actually talking to Roget whilst showing him a yellow card. Unbelievable.

I particularly enjoyed Big Roy's dismissal against t***enham ****spur in the littlewoods cup 1987.
A magnificent two footed, knee high lunge, from behind and he still had the front to complain and say he was 'going for the ball'.

It made me chuckle anyway..

Burnley, away on Tuesday night in the late 80s. After a string of poor results, Webby threw the "kids" in. Roy was made skipper and played centre back with the instruction to be the experienced head. Five minutes later and one horrendous knee high studs up lunge, he was in the bath.

The young lads held on for a 0-0 and we got up that season.

It may (or may not) have been Dean Austin's debut.

Burnley, away on Tuesday night in the late 80s. After a string of poor results, Webby threw the "kids" in. Roy was made skipper and played centre back with the instruction to be the experienced head. Five minutes later and one horrendous knee high studs up lunge, he was in the bath.

The young lads held on for a 0-0 and we got up that season.

It may (or may not) have been Dean Austin's debut.

'twas a double debut; Mark Cooper also debuted in that match.

3 Favourites.

Derek Payne for giving David Speedie a slap (shame he didn't hit him harder).

Paul Gerrard (Oldham goalkeeper) getting sent off after 10 minutes for trying to assault Ricky Otto, and then watching Joe Royle attempting to climb down from the directors box to the dug-out to have a go at the ref.

Wayne Biggins when we beat Stoke 4-2, he'd scored for them 5 minutes earlier and had the nerve to celebrate in front of the South, then he was chopped down in the box and the ref failed to give the penalty so Biggins gave him a shove.

Good selection but why Payne-Speedie? Speedie dived really...Payne barely stroked him let alone slapped him. If he was going to get sent off he should have done it properly!

Trevor Roberts for the punch at Colchester.

0-3 became 0-4 from the resultant penalty.

And it was in the mid 90s.
Lee Chapman - It was against Burnley he scored after 4 mins on his debut then we conceded 4 and he buggered off to Ipswich the next day!
Recall seeing a joke about him in some footie comic concerning mysterious crop circles at portman rd being attributed to Lee Chapman.

geezer could've been a legend for us!
Anyway we've got the Doog now!

Last edited:
Lee Chapman - It was against Burnley he scored after 4 mins on his debut then we conceded 4 and he buggered off to Ipswich the next day!
Recall seeing a joke about him in some footie comic concerning mysterious crop circles at portman rd being attributed to Lee Chapman.

geezer could've been a legend for us!
Anyway we've got the Doog now!

Sorry mate you are wrong according to Robin Michel's excellent site Chapman played his one and only game for us at Grimsby 14/01/95. You are right in the fact he scored very early but we lost 4-1 on the day.

http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php?option=com_phpresults&Itemid=59&wseason=1994

Last edited:
One that has nothing to do with southend is Chris Iwelumo last Saturday vs Preston, scores a hat trick, headbutts player falls down holding his head ref gives him red :D

Other than that, Flavs getting sent off for Tes Bramble (internation) to take the number one spot .. Great performance!

I can't read all of the thread, but I hope Steve McMahon's sending off for Swindon is in here somewhere! :smile:

Big Derek Payne vs. David Speedie. 'Nuff said.

Of course, that one!

I was sitting right behind the incident, in the Blue Seats front row. Clearly visible on the TV footage of that match! :cool:

I remember Roget and Gabbiadini getting their marching orders and a furious Leo stormed down the tunnel after him some 16/17 years ago. I cannot tolerate any TV footage featuring Marco Gabbiadini ever since!

The most bizarre was the ref mistaking Leon Johnson for Jerome Boere.
Roy had some great red cards.

That was St*ve ****ing B*nnett sending off Roget for something Boere had done 30 yards away.

Several years later B*nnett was also the ref who wrongly sent off both Maher and Gower at Col Ewe. B*nnett first got conned by Duguid falling over clutching his face and then thought Gower was in the wrong when Gower called B*nnett a ****.

Easily the worst ref I've had the misfortune to endure.

Back