• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There it is the great positivity from an SUFC fan! I really don't understand all the negativity on here about the signing of players. I'm pretty sure not so long ago you and many others were moaning about not signing anyone, now we have still not pleased. Let's take a look at our club for a minute. We do not have loads of money, we are unlikely to be challenging for promotion, butt never say never, we can not afford to offer such high wages as some other clubs, we were only promoted 2 seasons ago, you can not expect a club of our size and resource to be signing a shed load of players from the Championship or premiership.

So yes we are going to have to take players from around the league 1 and league 2 level that have something to prove. If they didn't then we would not be in with a chance.

How about instead of moaning and complaining about the signings get on with supporting them, as funny enough a lot of the players that leave all day thatthe fans are great to a certain extent but are quick to get their backs. It's amazing how a little support and positivity impacts on performance and morale.

I think with all this doomingering yourself and others would have been good for the brexit remain campaign, as they only like to focus on the negativism and no the positives.

For christ sake people supprt your team, manager and club as a whole not selectively, as a whole!

Rant over!

If you can see the positives in losing Payne, Bentley, Worrall and missing out on moussa when he was right there. Replacing with Sokolik who got bombed by Yeovil after nearly successive relegations, Barnett who was our striker when we had relegation form, Oxley who hibs fan cheered when he left then fair play to you but I can't and anyone who isn't blind can clearly see we aren't replacing well. Atleast Brown has a good record in the market, picks out gems all the time. You're a happy clapper.

Echo Reports that....

* Barnett / Barnetts agent has 24h to agree a deal with us or forget it (shrews have given him a free transfer).
* Sokolik is on trial with us and was due to play against Braintree

Interesting it also says that Phil will decide make a decision on whether Ranger goes to Spain.

Also
* The pedigree striker doesnt look like it will come off (mentioned it was a bigger 'name' that Hunt)
* Atko reckons Oxley is a good signing (played together at Hull)
* O'Neil wants to play further forward

Saved you all 50p :-)

Sokalik is on trial and has been at the club training for a the last few days and would of played against Braintree. PB is talking him up.

I hope Gunning is given time to prove he is fit .If the club can spend time on Nile Ranger giving him a chance because he will be an asset to the club .Surly the same can be said about Gunning . Or has he had a run in with Phil already Surly not a Bolger mk 2 . Lightning cant strike twice in the same olace can it .

I suppose the only difference here is that Gunning has what appears to be a long standing injury, whereas Ranger was uninjured but just not fit enough.

Sokolic is on trial. Barnett has been released by Shrewsbury, so is available on a free. Him and his agent have been given 24 hours to complete a return to Roots Hall or the deal is off. The mystery Championship striker is now unlikely to pick Southend, but is a bigger name than Noel Hunt. Murray has earnt a trip to Spain for a further look. Ranger may not go to Spain. Gunning has an ankle injury as has been said. Wordsworth still recovering. White and McLaughlin passed fit. Thompson out with tonsillitis.

Streaky beat me to it. I added a couple of bits that many know.

Sokolik is such a desperate signing. Woeful. If anyone isn't worried about the coming season right now they need their heads checked. Relegation...
and if we are paying any sort of fee for Barnett well then just wow we deserve to go down

I do not understand how Sokolik has gone from being regarded as an excellent young defender a couple of seasons ago to someone who is suddenly now seen as a poor player. He spent two years in a losing team at Yeovil, played out of position at right-back, got some nasty injuries during that period, and probably lost his confidence. That does not make him a bad player.

Similar sentiments have been expressed about Ronan Murray because he was released by Notts County. But surely the art of soccer management is spot some real potential in a player that has for various reasons lost his way and then know how to get the best out of them at our club. As someone mentioned before, Southend signed players in the past like Billy Best and Chris Powell who hardly set the world alight at previous clubs but absolutely thrived at Roots Hall.

Let's face it the alleged striker was never likely to sign for us like all the others. I wish all this paper talk and talk it is wouldn't get our hopes up. Other clubs will definitely pay more than we are willing to and there always other clubs willing to pay and able to do so.

I this the same Sokalik many people were begging PB to try and sign last off season and the one before? How can people's opinions of a player drop so much over the course of a season. I never see him play as I wasn't around at the time he was with us before, but the opinion id got in the past was that he was a decent centre back and most would've been happy for him to sign... Maybe his had a poor season.

on Barnett, I'm really not sure i want us to bring him in, is much rather concentrate on bringing Murray in I think, purely because how he was off the pace towards the end of last season, but then again the whole team was off the pace, when we was playing well he looked extremely good and I would've snapped him up.

Was the pedigree striker the one that was so near you could feel his breath on your neck or the one that was much nearer than that. And the happy clappers still wonder why ferociously keen supporters get a little frustrated on Occassion ?

If I was a player I wouldn't choose to play for us ... Players have access to google they can find out quite easily the new stadium is just a dream and in actual fact you'll be playing at a derelict stadium where if you miss play a pass you'll be torn a new one by your own fans..!

As said previously I just wish we'd stop writing these stories in the paper because we will never sign them..

If I was a player I wouldn't choose to play for us ... Players have access to google they can find out quite easily the new stadium is just a dream and in actual fact you'll be playing at a derelict stadium where if you miss play a pass you'll be torn a new one by your own fans..!

As said previously I just wish we'd stop writing these stories in the paper because we will never sign them..

and the manager batters you publicly post match

In his relatively short career Gunning has had a fair few injuries. People say we shouldn't take on crocks but then talk this guy up as if he was the messiah. Same with Ranger. At least Sokolik and Barnett know the club well and have pretty good injury records.

Sokalik is on trial and has been at the club training for a the last few days and would of played against Braintree. PB is talking him up.

Sokolik first time round almost everyone wanted to sign. Great partnership with Egan and the great debate was who was better- the majority but not all felt Egan I seem to remember. We tried to sign him but sadly another player who was persuaded by his agent playing the 'you need to play at the highest level you can card'. He went to Yeovil who had just been relegated from the Championship. You can see why it might have seemed a good move- it wasn't.

However he has ability (Czech U16-18, Liverpool Res) and is worth a look - bear in mind many of the people who rubbish the idea are the very same ones who bemoan that we don't sign seriously under nourished Ryman league players..

Barnett as one of our strikers especially if we have brought Ranger and one/two others in I am fine with. At L1 level he is decent.

The way it's looking I'd like to sign Gunning [ankle permitted] and Sokolik. We need a squad, beggars can't be choosers.

I agree with those saying there could still be potential in Sokolik. One man doesn't make a team and just because Yeovil have had a poor fall from grace in the last few seasons doesn't automatically make him a bad player.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know the striker with pedigree that has apparently slipped the net.

I do not understand how Sokolik has gone from being regarded as an excellent young defender a couple of seasons ago to someone who is suddenly now seen as a poor player. He spent two years in a losing team at Yeovil, played out of position at right-back, got some nasty injuries during that period, and probably lost his confidence. That does not make him a bad player.

Similar sentiments have been expressed about Ronan Murray because he was released by Notts County. But surely the art of soccer management is spot some real potential in a player that has for various reasons lost his way and then know how to get the best out of them at our club. As someone mentioned before, Southend signed players in the past like Billy Best and Chris Powell who hardly set the world alight at previous clubs but absolutely thrived at Roots Hall.

Also given how terrible its all supposed to be here its amazing how so many appear to want to come back at all..

Back