• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Yep, it is. You do know Donald Trump uses twitter right?
I am aware that he is keen on it and some of his nonsense gets onto my feed via retweets.

From a retweet I just found out an ex MEP for UKIP Janice Atkinson,has been suggesting we bring back the death penalty to deter suicide bombers. Can't see anything wrong with that scheme.

I am aware that he is keen on it and some of his nonsense gets onto my feed via retweets.

From a retweet I just found out an ex MEP for UKIP Janice Atkinson,has been suggesting we bring back the death penalty to deter suicide bombers. Can't see anything wrong with that scheme.

Now you know why shes an ex MEP.

its not like he was slandering them, he was sent a tweet that looked real and retweeted it, I thought it was real when I first saw it. Unfortunately twitter is full of news that looks true and isn't. Your post seems to imply he was the creator of the fake news - he merely passed it on believing it to be true.

Without even checking to see if it was true, pretty poor for his level though I feel he probably was aware it wasn't true but used to try and score cheap political points.

Without even checking to see if it was true, pretty poor for his level though I feel he probably was aware it wasn't true but used to try and score cheap political points.
the report says 'Twitter users say Mr Trickett quickly acknowledged the article was fake and deleted the tweet' - if he was looking to score cheap political points he wouldn't have taken it down so quickly. Its a very mild story anyway you look at it.

‘The Labour candidate, who has been MP for Hemsworth, West Yorkshire, since 1996, said the fabricated story was "truly astonishing" in a retweet to his 15,000 followers.
Twitter users say Mr Trickett quickly acknowledged the article was fake and deleted the tweet.’

The fact this has become a story kind of highlights the point that anything is considered news and worth reporting on. He didn’t swear of call anyone a bad name, he said it was "truly astonishing", and on realising it was fake he deleted it. That is a non-story surely?

I think it shows a lack of judgement yet again. He tweeted something without thinking. He should have done his research before he retweeted, not after.

It smacks of someone desperate to paint the PM in a bad light come what may.

I didn't know he made a habit of it - what are some of his other faux pas?
Hmmm, considering the week that Theresa May, Damian Green, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Michael Fallon have had this week, you trying to keep a few minutes of fake news retweeting going.......It smacks of someone desperate to paint the LP in a bad light come what may.

Theresa May telling the police they were crying wolf over cutting their numbers by 19,000 - that is the kind of poor judgement that leaves us needing the army on the streets as the police don't have the capacity

Do you actually ever address anything that is associated with the Labour party and its poor judgement? Like the example I gave above. This is one of the reason myself and lots of others are so dissociated with politics of both sides of the spectrum. Just for once it would be nice to see someone form either party or their supporters say "That's a good idea" rather than constantly putting each other down.

Activists from both sides are appalling and I'm sorry but you are an example of this and someone who seems closed to looking at the good ideas other parties may have. If they all actually worked together then maybe just maybe there would be some common ground that would work much better. Anyway rant over, as you were.

Theresa May telling the police they were crying wolf over cutting their numbers by 19,000 - that is the kind of poor judgement that leaves us needing the army on the streets as the police don't have the capacity

You're doing it again. Trying to make the point that someone else is just as bad isn't really the way to win votes. Most people will stick with the devil they know. You have to be better than what we currently have. The "well they're just as bad" argument is a childish one.

The closer we get to this election (thank heavens I go on holiday Saturday morning) the more you seem to do this, and the more desperate you sound.

Im sure even without those cuts we would be seeing the army on the streets.

Its less to do with capacity and more to do with making a statement.

Do you actually ever address anything that is associated with the Labour party and its poor judgement? Like the example I gave above. This is one of the reason myself and lots of others are so dissociated with politics of both sides of the spectrum. Just for once it would be nice to see someone form either party or their supporters say "That's a good idea" rather than constantly putting each other down.

Activists from both sides are appalling and I'm sorry but you are an example of this and someone who seems closed to looking at the good ideas other parties may have. If they all actually worked together then maybe just maybe there would be some common ground that would work much better. Anyway rant over, as you were.
I said 'that's a good idea' when Cameron announced the equal marriage, and I've often referred to that and his bravery for going against his party on that. Nothing else springs to mind that I can praise them on to be honest.

With Dianne Abbott - I am in full agreement that she is a rubbish MP and don't stick up for her.

But overall I support Labour policies that come from a very different mindset to Conservative policies. I can't pretend to like what the Tories do just to seem open minded - that would be a bit snowflakey.

We need a bit of perspective though, the election campaign has been a washout for the Tories so far and the polls have narrowed, so if someone is highlighting a Labour MP retweeted some fake news and then deleted it a few minutes later, or an activist using ill advised terminology for the fact a pause in campaigning may assist the downward momentum of May. For those to be elevated in importance seems inappropriate to me. We have armed forces on our street where the police used to be - that is of more importance to which policies are better for our country than a couple of ill advised tweets.

You're doing it again. Trying to make the point that someone else is just as bad isn't really the way to win votes. Most people will stick with the devil they know. You have to be better than what we currently have. The "well they're just as bad" argument is a childish one.

The closer we get to this election (thank heavens I go on holiday Saturday morning) the more you seem to do this, and the more desperate you sound.
that's a bit hypocritical - a poster asked for reasons to support the Conservatives and in reply you posted up a list of negatives about Labour.

Back